The Chicken of the Woods.... Squirrel

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SRK97, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

A good trick is to take a position in the woods and remain still. Have a hunting partner walk a giant loop, until they're walking towards you. Squirrels will scurry to the opposite side of the tree that your partner is walking, putting them right in your line of sight.

RAE Industires and Dallas53 like this.
  2. stinkysix

stinkysix New Member

Started squirrel hunting again last year, been dropping them out to 120 yards with the 22. Will post pics later

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

When rifle hunting I used to use subsonic 22 LR, but years ago discovered the 22 mag, when loaded with solid or FMJ bullet loads don't even bloodshot or tear up near as much meat as a 22 LR HV HP, but offers more penetration (not needed on squirrels), and twice the effective range.

In handguns, my scoped Ruger MK2 Competition Target will reliably put 5 shots in 1/2" at 50 yards shooting selected/weighed/sorted match ammo from a solid benchrest, and my TC Contender with the scoped Super 14" barrels in 22LR and 22 mag shoot even sweeter than that, but it's pushing the definition of handgun. I really REALLY LOVE shooting squirrels with the long barreled Single Six in 32 H&R mag I rechambered to 327 Fed Mag, using home cast straight wheelweights lead, pushed mildly around 1,050 fps.

When squirrels in woods that are close to dwellings, or areas unsafe to risk a aerial bullet missing the squirrel (most places in Ky these days), I've found a 12 ga with 2 3/4" high brass #4 shot works best. The #4 will put less amount of holes (as compared to #6 or #7 1/2) , and the larger shot will have more individual pellet penetration & energy, and be more apt to fully penetrate so less shot to watch out for when dressing & eating. A 20 ga would be almost as good for those desiring less recoil & a lighter gun.

My all time favorite method of squirrel hunting is with a full length Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle, either flintlock or percussion, .31 to .36 bore using patched home cast round balls and barking them. It REALLY brings the challenge back when attempting to bark the squirrels & we usually have friendly bets on who can kill the most squirrels (within legal limits of course-6/12 for Ky) without a single mark or bullet/pellet hole in them!!!!!!!!!!!

Imurhuckleberry likes this.
  4. stinkysix

stinkysix New Member

Heres my critter getter, nice and quiet. 20171018_172910.jpg

Imurhuckleberry and MisterMcCool like this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

just curious. did you mean 120 yards, or 120 feet? because 120 yards is an awful long distance for squirrel hunting. i usually never had to go beyond 25 yards to hunt squirrels.

6. stinkysix

stinkysix New Member

120 yds, I sit on the edge of a small open plot edged with hardwoods. I get shots from 30 to over 200 yds, I use a high powered scope with mil dots and I know where the bullet will hit out to 150 yds without having to dial the turrets

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

So you use a suppressed pseudo "tactical" bolt rifle with subsonics on shots out to 200 yards with subsonic 22 LR? I'd be highly interested in the hit & recovery percentage at that distance!

Dallas53 and SRK97 like this.
  8. stinkysix

stinkysix New Member

120 is the longest on a squirrel so far, out past 150 and I would have to dial it instead of holdover.

9. Dallas53

ummmm....okay. whatever you say.

i'm pretty sure Carlos Hathcock and Chris Kyle would be duly impressed. :rolleyes:

jigs-n-fixture and stalkingbear like this.
  10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a desire to shoot a couple deer now. I wish they could be skinned and processed at the same speed squirrels are. You don't need to hook a rope up to your hitch and hang a squirrel by the back legs to process it....

Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.
  11. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

What kind of supressor is that? It looks like a home build. Hope you have a form 1 or something to cap the end off of your solvent trap.

jigs-n-fixture and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

you should know you need a "tactical" rig to hunt squirrels. those critters are armed and dangerous and need to be sniped! :p

13. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

Nylon 66, Ruger MKII, and sometimes a Ruger Charger. First choices if I just pick a soft and wait.

If letting my dashund find squirrels for me I like either my 410 or 20 gauge with #4 shot.