The capture of Quatrostanky: lessons learned

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by microadventure, Nov 2, 2019.

1. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Until recently I thought I had a skunk visiting under my house. not a permanent resident, but a frequent guest. it is harder to know than you might think, because the disgusting creatures get flattened on Route 1 twice a week.

a couple days ago I heard the tin roof stored outside my bedroom window, then I heard something in the house. I'm expecting packrat. When the noise showed up in my bedroom I turned on the light and found myself eye to eye with a small skunk. fortunately, he was in the low stink mode. four stripes, all coming back from the nose. ergo Quatrostanky.

if you ever saw that scene in that old Disney Sunday night TV show, the one where that girl rescued the ( badger otter mink crow ) and it went on a rampage and made a mess 45 minutes into the show: apparently, so did the skunk.

if you try chemical warfare against the skunk remember who here is the pro. you could cap it, I certainly have the technology. setting aside his parting shot, fur bearing animals have fleas. fleas carry bubonic plague and rabies. fleas jump off the animal they reside on the instant the host dies, to the nearest fur bearing mammal, which is the guy who picks up their stinking carcass

which leaves the live trap. we have a new Tractor Supply in town, they have live traps. live trap triggers are designed for creatures with a dog type body density. a skunk is more cat like. you have to do a trigger job. fortunately I did not know this.

I baited it with sardines, as mentioned here recently. nada. I baited it with Chicken Maple sausage. he ate it but the trap did not trigger. I reshaped the trigger. the bottom was a flat line. I reshaped it like the tip of a ski. you can set it to be more or less sensitive. the cook in my favorite restaurant gave me a bag of meat scraps. when he got into the house tonight I nuked them to revive the aroma. set up the trap. he ate the food but did not trip the trigger. now he trusts the trap.

when he left, I took the trap out to where he gets in - I am going to have to move a mountain of metal to find the entrance - and I set the trap up, tilted food end down, so he would have to stand on the trigger to get the food

an hour later, big stink, shake, rattle, roll. got the SOB.

he will be going to "live on a farm" tomorrow morning. This is a farm, but he won't be living here.

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Skunks can be mean SOBs .....! Up at a friend's camp doing a pig roast , beer eight biker friends and having a good old time , then........
    Out of the darkness , hissing growling and headed our way fast . Bunch of tough guys chased off by mean crazy skunk ! Might of been sick , acting too aggressive for just one against nine !
    If we shoot , end of party , back off , let him eat his fill and finally leave !
    He finally did leave but we did back off ....LOL

Billy9mm, OLD Ron and primer1 like this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

how did the skunk get into your house in the first place?

dango, Sniper03 and Pasquanel like this.
  4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I use skunk when I hunt coyotes and deer as a cover scent so I’m basically immune to it at this point. My wife on the other hand, use to make me strip and hose off outside the house after my hunting trips.

RJF22553, dango and OLD Ron like this.
  5. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Have never had critters in the house but shop 2 I came face to face with a big fat ground hog . He just stared at me & me him . Then I told him it was time to go . He slowly walked out . I still see him every so often & he just wanders past me . I know nothing about those things but he doesn't seem to be doing any damage . Actually better company than some people are .

SRK97, Mercator, W.T. Sherman and 3 others like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol, Ron and his pet ground hog

OLD Ron and dango like this.
  7. microadventure

went to check on the stinking thing this morning. trying to decide whether to kill it or release it far away.

the point was moot. the skunk was gone. one of the barn cats was in the trap.

there will be a .22 within reach for the next few days. Quatrostanky may be in a mood if he comes back, and he won't fall for the trap again.

dango likes this.
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

We have a skunk here that sometimes lives under our utility shed. Ever once in a while we can sense a mild smell but never too strong. He does not bother anything so I leave it alone. On occasion it sees us but never acts too concerned.
    When I was a kid over the years I had several wildlife pets including foxes, racoons, injured red tail hawk I rescued an nurtured back to health and released a year later. And two pet Skunks one named Posey and the other Daisy. Ginger the Red Fox who I also bottle fed as a baby lived inside the house and was housebroke. The other one stayed in a pen and in the day the fenced in back yard. Both were also more like cats than like a dog.
    Found both the Skunks as babies when their mothers were killed on the road. Bottle fed both of them even before their eyes were open. They were both more like cats than anything but never showed me any aggression. At the time it was legal for a vet to deskunk them! Today not allowed in most states.
    Both lived long lives when the average in the wild is normally 2-4 years due to being killed by vehicles, people and predators.
    But if I encounter any causing an issue I will relocate them somewhere here in the mountains. There is a couple of easy ways to cause skunks to relocate.
    1. Put a bright light right outside their den entrance. 2. Soak a Rag with Apple Cider Vinegar outside their den. If one can 3. set a Radio somewhere in the area of the den with people talking on it. Peoples voices scare them and they will normally relocate and even take their babies with them if they have any.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Mercator, OLD Ron, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  9. microadventure

the entrance, both exterior and interior, can't be found. this thing must have am exterior entrance buried under something, and a tunnel. the interior entrance is equally well concealed

dango and towboater like this.
  10. W.T. Sherman

yeeeeeeeeeeah, before you go becoming a Sgt. Shultz looking for a "stalag 13 secret tunnel". "critters" find ways in that doesn't require them being master engineers.

it's probably a opening that is so blatant obvious you're not seeing it. chimney, roof ventilation, ventilated eave, dryer exhaust etc....etc... etc... all it takes is a 2-3 inch diameter opening for it to get in. you can make that opening with your fore finger and thumb

or, you probably invited him in by having a window, door open.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Mercator, dango and OLD Ron like this.
  11. dango

Never had a skunk invade my humble home , a few bats , field mice , chipmunks and two snakes . One snake a medium sized copper head . Might be a little tricky to rid your home of a skunk . Most skunks are timid but one time , a very aggressive mean and snarling beast of a skunk . I still think he may have been sick , rabies maybe , very bold ! Eeeeek......! :eek:

Sniper03 likes this.
  12. microadventure

landlord is out of town. working on a plan for now: find the hole where he gets into the house on the inside. my house is effectively a camera store and a gunshop and a motorcycle repair shop and a woodworking shop and a pawnshop and a library and a house. there are rooms so full of stuff you can't get in them. he probably comes in one of those.

when I dig down to the right floor and find the inside hole I plan to drop in a package of goodies: Cree 3 watt LEDs ( miners headlight replacements ) and mini tweeters blasting an unholy high frequency screech from an Arduino, and a PA speaker playing all the music in my collection from the PC. then drop a steel plate on top and try to find the outside ingress hole. drive him out, from the inside out.

the landlord has dealt with this before. his policy, which might elicit consternation from people who don't matter, is to fill the hole with barbed wire, glass and chicken wire to prevent the skunk from coming back and digging where he thinks its easy.

the 10-22 is locked and loaded in case he is spotted outside. the live trap is back inside, not capable of tripping, baited with fresh sausage, to get him accustomed to thinking its a feeding station. when I find the outside hole, I will move it out there and set it up with a twitchy trigger. it will be a struggle to keep the endless river of squirrels, chipmunks, cats and dogs out of it.

dango likes this.
  13. dango

I've never shot a skunk for fear of it letting go all it's juices in it's death throes ? I it depends where you shoot it , how close to your home ?

In my past years of hunting , most things let go of all waste , urine , fecies so I really don't know if I'd shoot one near my home ?

ellis36 and Mercator like this.
  14. microadventure

we had a bobcat at a satellite tracking station I worked at. he got a bit too friendly with the people who fed him. they live trapped him and took him 50 miles away. he was back in a week. they live trapped him and took him 150 miles away. he was back in three weeks. they live trapped him - apparently bobcats are dense - and took him 500 miles away. he never came back.

I don't plan on taking a skunk with a history of invading a house anywhere near any house. the forest here in NM is a bosque, a quarter mile wide strip across a river. If I take him out in the desert he dies anyways.

as noted above, they get run over by a car twice a week around here.

dango likes this.
  15. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Probably found an opening, it's what they do. Better than us, it's how they survive. I could never figure out how the raccoon got in and out of my garage, repeatedly. Good thing he didn't kill the skunk, they are friends. They eat yellowjackets and destroy nests.

dango likes this.
  16. microadventure

Update: heard crinkling sheet metal. stood where I could see where I think he comes in. saw him come around the corner by my space heater. built a wall from 2 storm door glass panels. he came in, bumped into the glass a couple of times, left, and did not come back.

a couple of nights back he found a way in through the bedroom floor. I set up an open wire construction live trap, baited with beans and beef from a burrito. he ate all of it from the side without entering the trap.

Next night I baited the skunk specific trap. an hour later I had the SOB. I dropped a ratbag blanket that is ten years overdue for the dump on the trap, and he sprayed despite the construction of the trap. the blanket caught most of it, the house has smelled worse just from him being under it.

[​IMG]

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mBml5h8gL._SX425_.jpg

Quattrostanky swallowed a thumb drive labeled Clinton Sick Twisted, formerly owned by Jeffrey Epstein. His future is bleak.

primer1 likes this.
  17. W.T. Sherman

if he found his way into the house through your bedroom floor, I'd say you have more problems then just a skunk

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  18. microadventure

90 year old farmhouse on 12 acres. farm converted to a gravel pit when a flood deposited ten feet of silt on it.

I have a 400 foot driveway, an off road race track, airgun, centerfire and archery ranges, owls in the eaves, dozens of rabbits, dozens of quail, sandhill cranes in the winter, and an endless stream of visitors checking out the landlords vast volkswagen collection.

$425 a month.

everybody in the community has a story about skunks, badgers, ferrets, coyotes, rattlesnakes in the house. it's just a country living thing.

austin92 and ellis36 like this.
  19. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah I don't think that's normal.... Maybe time to go around and get the house sealed up tight

20. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

They say you look like your pets ........ I must need to loose weight ! :(

Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.