The Brownings, looking for input from members pro or con for the following models. Lo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BVAL, Apr 14, 2014.

1. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Browning 1911/22 22lr vs. Browning BuckMark Camper 22lr

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well I don't know specifically what Buckmark it is but my Mother-in-law has one and I shot a couple hundred rounds through it one day, without cleaning. No failures. Very sweet shooter. Extremely accurate. Felt great in the hand.

Tomorrow, if I remember, I'll check which specific model it is.

3. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Though I'm a 1911 fan, I'd definitely go with the Buckmark. Its easier to shoot accurately, for me, and are much easier to mount optics on. The 1911 would be a good gun to practice with if you have a centerfire model that you want to train for. The Buckmark would be an excellent target and hunting pistol .

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Brownings

Don't have the Camper, but we have the 1911-22 and an Older Buckmark with Herrit's Wood grips(Coco Bolo). Both guns are tack drivers.. The Camper is a newer version with a rounded barrel. The base models have Polymer grips, but the more expensive Models are very much like the older models discontinued in the past. Just about any Buckmark is a Tackdriver! The 1911-22 is also very accurate, a smooth shooter...

5. DrFootball

The Brownings, looking for input from members pro or con for the following mo...

(Cont.) The Older Buckmarks' Like Ours have slab sided Barrels in the 5.5" and 7.25". Newer ones made in the last few Years Only have the Rounded Bull or Fluted Bull Barrel. Both Guns have shot sub 1" from a Ransom Rest(belonging to the Range, they rent it out for $5 an Hr.) but at longer distances, because of the Barrel Length, the Buckmark is the better shooter accuracy wise....and the Buckmark is Better for Mounting an Optic, unless you have an extended Riser Mount for the 1911(similar to what people use on Comp. Race Gun 1911's for the C-More(which I have on my Series 80 GC)...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You need to tell us what you'll use the .22lr for. If you just want a quality, accurate full size pistol then the Buckmark or Ruger Mark III or .22/45 are great. If you want an 80% or smaller 1911-22 then Browning makes a real good one. If you want a full size 1911-22 look at Colt/Walther or SIG/GSG.

7. BVAL

BVAL New Member

I'm not sure how to answer the question what I'll use it for. But I might just say, for another kick around pistol.
    Plinking, target, for just walking around in the woods, just something else to play around with. I have 22 pistols already that are on both sides of the fence. Ruger MKII custom done for bullseye comp., S&W 41, High Standard supermatic, also H&R Trophy, Ruger SR22, these are just some of the semi-autos. Just have the itch to buy another 22 pistol. LOL

8. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Sorry, I meant to say High Standard Trophy. Not H&R.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

In that case,a 1911-22 will bring more to your table. It is smaller (but not too small), handier, and more stylish. A Buckmark otb is unlikely to outshoot your Mark II, otherwise it is more of the same.

10. BVAL

BVAL New Member

All right then,,,,,,I'll start looking for a good price on the Browning, thank you

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You have ammo for a new 22 LR pistol? Lucky!

12. DrFootball

Ok,..but I'll disagree with the Buckmark Not Outshooting the Ruger, and I'm a Ruger Fanboy. Unless you have a Longer Barreled Ruger Mark II/III or 22/45 Mk II or III, it would be hard for a 4.4" or 5.5" Gun to Out shoot one with a more accurate and Longer Barrel(at 7.25")..I have had the 2 Side by Side....both on Rests,..the Browning Buckmarks' groups were better. Now as for the 1911-22, I love Mine,..but unless I sunk More$$ into it it would not be suitable for any competition except in a "stock" 22 Class pistol Match...
    BVAL,..Good Luck on your search, let us know whats Next!
    Our next will Prob. be another Long gun in 22LR or 22Mag....

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I was very tempted to get the Browning 1911-22 last month but the 4/5 scale discouraged me. Sure wish they had a full size model because the quality was excellent. It sure is a nice gun and doesn't need to be as big as a government model 1911. But that's what I wanted so ended up with the Colt/Walther and recommend anyone buying a 1911-22 to take a look at them.

14. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

IMHO Buckmark or Ruger..........it's a wash.
    You can get good and not so good in either. The creep on my reg Buckmark is why I sold it.
    Fine plinker, left a little bit to be desired on the IHMSA line.

Target model Buckmarks come with adj sear and trigger overtravel (factory).

Buckmarks also could be had in models "optics ready" before Ruger D&T'd theirs.
    I like the slab sided Buckmark bbls, but want one on a Target frame (for the adj sear).
    That's be my fishin' and trail rig.

Been also looking for a 10" Varmint, pops has a 14".

The little 1911 Brownings are cute, too bad they don't make a Mini GC version. The lack of adj sights just ruins that rig for me.

Eyes going now at age 50, proly need everything scoped.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

A lot of stuff factors into why one gun shoots better than another. One biggie proly ergonomic differences between rigs, even if sights and sight radius and trigger pulls close to same.

Unless tested in a scientific method, with reduced variables, it doesn't say which shoots better. It just says one shot better for that person at that time.

Ammo testing, no lot variances (maybe even sort within lot to further reduce variability or find a preference), Ransom rest............it can be tedious and expensive doing a proper test.

Best ammo I tried in my 10.5" AMT Lightning was the short run WW Supermax. One gun, tried a lot of ammo, that was heads and shoulders above the rest for that rig. Wicked good.

And hyper V, so it cracked my mainspring housing and was a real PITA to find (production ceased whil i was burning it up at a good pace). Gun and ammo issues forced that sale. Saved a lot of groundhogs lives.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  16. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Good lord, do they want an arm n a leg for that little Browning 1911-22. Guess it is just to new on the market, I'll have to wait awhile to see if the price will come down some. Guess I'll have to live with what I got for the time being.

17. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a Buck Mark Camper. Got it years ago. Great gun, loves high velocity ammunition.