The Browning BPS Upland Special in 12 ga 3.5

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Plinkster, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1455576104.659534.jpg Thanks and happy patterning.

Sent from my iPad in Iowa using Firearms Talk

2. bama1965

bama1965 New Member

Very nice looking gun, can't go wrong with a browning

3. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Yeah tell me about it this is the one of those guns that stay in the family for a long time. My great grandfather had a marlin model 55 with a 28" barrel, it's got very little bluing but it tells a story and that's what I would hope to hand down to the hopefully many generations to come of my family.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

In spite of the shorter barrel the BPS Upland is still not really a lightweight, which will be good if you touch off a 3-1/2" shell. The BPS is a very well designed and build shotgun. I had three and not one ever missed a beat. But, I could never grow to love bottom loading. I'd prefer a Wingmaster Special Field if I wanted a quality short pump. Your choice.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster Special Field in 20 ga, I really like it. Stock looks just like the Browning pictured above.

6. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I have the same in 3"
    The Remington uses unique barrels as it holds one less shell
    Not sure why a 3.5" for upland

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I did`nt know the Browning BPS Upland Special came in 3 & a 1/2 inch chamber !............

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Neither did I. Catalog says 3" but I haven't kept up with them over the years so there is a possibility they did. Receiver looks standard length though.

10. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Well I could be wrong it's 3" magnum I thought that might mean 3.5.

11. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

No, if it's 3-1/2" it will say it clearly, because the SAAMI pressure limits are higher for 3-1/2" loads.

12. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Ok well learn something new every day

13. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

2 3/4 shells rarely pattern well in a 3.5" chamber

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

There is an old wives tale. The chamber has little to do with patterning with today's shotshells.

15. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I have to disagree with you there
    Where I used to work we threw away plenty of cardboard the size of a wood pallet. They gave them to who ever wanted, I used them for shotgun patterning.
    It is true. A 2 3/4" shell patterns best out of a 2 3/4" chamber

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Well we will just have to agree to disagree. I used to work in a paper mill and I got all the free butt rolls of 48" and 60" paper I could carry, and I shot over 3,000 patterns, and I saw no significant statistical pattern differences due to chamber length versus shell length. I did plot center thickening, but did not try to compute evenness beyond that. I did a lot of work on custom choke constrictions, lengthened forcing cones, and overboring. Most all of my work was with shot larger than #5 and heavy loads.

17. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

I would think that the choke you use has more to do with pattern than chamber size. When I turkey hunted a lot I found that a 1 1/2 oz load of Winchester # 4 patterned better than any of the 3" or 3.5" loads in my NOVA with a Benelli Factory Turkey tube. Different results with a Jelly Head choke I bought. Same thing when I patterned out of my old M1-Super 90 (2 3/4" and 3").

18. RKB

RKB Member

Virginian -
    Congrats on a milestone - 1,000 posts!
    BTW, agreed - chamber length has little if any effect on patterns. I shoot 2-1/2 inch roll-crimped ammo in my 3" chambered Merkel quite often, and I cannot see a detectable difference, it still slaughters them infidel communist Taliban loving clay pigeons and prints extremely well in the 30" paper circle.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

Paper mill.... I grew up on a hog farm and I can't stand the stink of a paper mill!

20. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Well, for a lot of years it smelled like money to a lot of people. Now cheap foreign competition has killed most of the U.S. business. I told my buddy back in the '70s when they built that pulp mill in Japan on a barge and then towed it up the Amazon river "this is not good" I was right.