The big brown truck brought me something today... (with pics!)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by king1138, Jun 10, 2011.

1. king1138

king1138 New Member

With the encouragement of many other members on this board, I finished by AR build a few months ago. Well I finally sprung for some real optics, and the big brown truck dropped by today!

Then after getting the scope mounted up I got a bit fancy with the camera (or as my wife put it: "artsy") :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. king1138

king1138 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I need now is more trigger time!

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Very nice! I've got the same mount and couldn't be happier with it. I have become a big fan of one piece rings.

4. king1138

king1138 New Member

Yeah, I was really impressed with it. I managed to mount the scope with nothing more than a level and some hand tools, no gunsmith or fancy equipment needed. Plus if I ever want to transfer to a different gun, it's easy to take off.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Very nice :cool:
    I especially like the bullet art :D

7. king1138

king1138 New Member

My wife is going to give me hell about that for a while! :rolleyes:

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very nice King!

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice King....

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like Nikon's. Congratulations.

11. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Lookng good, now go give us a range report and let us know how it works.
    [​IMG]

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

How about some details on the build? And did you document it in another thread as you went? What was easier than you thought and what took more work?

Good looking stick and a nice finished product.

JD

13. king1138

king1138 New Member

It's a Surplus Arms and Ammo lower, DPMS 5.56 flattop upper, RRA lower parts kit, and DPMS 6 position stock. I had zapped my budget with the gun, so I stuck a cheapo Barska red dot scope just so I could shoot thr darn thing. It shoots great, but the scope was terrible.

Finally was able to scrounge some pennies to buy the Nikon, now I have to wait two weeks to shoot the darn thing :(

The whole build was a lot easier than I expected, my only problem was forgetting to put the bolt catch spring and detent in place before driving in the roll pin. I managed to not shoot any pins and springs across the room, which was nice.

So far, i'm very pleased with the gun, and everyone here was very helful in whole precess. Which is important because I'm super indecisive:D

Now I'm already planning the next AR and upgrades to this one. I've got the SUR disease...

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That mount seems to be every shooters answer for optics these days. . . How well does it hold zero after taking off and putting back on again? ? ? That's probably going to be the route I take on my next one.

Great looking gun!:)

15. king1138

king1138 New Member

Your guess is as good as mine there... I've only had the thing on for about a day, and won't get to test it out for two weeks! :(

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

King,

That is one fine set up! And great pictures also! I like the mount also. It is the right height! A lot of the guys have the scopes so high they have to what I call Goose Neck to look through the scope making it impossible to get a good cheek weld on the stock. Therefore sacrificing accuracy. Once again great job on the set up and also eye relief!!!! Nice Piece!:)

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Again, nice build King! I'll have to look at that mount for my Nikon, like the way it looks with yours and I want a cantilever instead of the two rings I have now.