The better gun....Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm or Hi-Point 9mm Carbine???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by neil-v1, Sep 7, 2010.

1. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

I am trying to decide on either the Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine or the Hi Point 9mm Carbine. This will not be my MBR, I am simply looking for a good mid range gun with very cheap ammo that I can also use in my pistolas. Any opinions? Also, what is the smallest cal rifle anyone would suggest I use for an MBR? I want something with the cheapest ammo possible but still have decent knock down power that can reach out there. Thanks.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010

3. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

The Marlin Camp-9 is far superior , uses S&W magazines which are easy to find and with a new buffer in the receiver, will far out last and out perform.

Buffer Technologies make the replacement buffers which are far superior to the ones used by Marlin, which fall apart !

4. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

I had a Camp 45 and a Hi-Point 995.

I can vouch for the Camp 45. I replaced the buffer (showed hardly any wear) and the recoil spring, then sold it. I was LNIB and I knew I'd end up ruining its value if I kept it. I don't do safe queens. All my guns are working guns.

Anyway, if I were making the choice, it would be the Camp 9 hands down in a pistol carbine; SKS in a short rifle.

Josh

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have never used a HP, but I did own a couple of Camp Carbines, 9mm and .45. They were excellent, and I should never have sold them.

The Marlin CC .45 was my first experience with the excellent Metal Form 1911 mags with the round follower. I kept the mag (still have it) when I sold the gun.

6. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

I have the 995TS by Hi Point. I would recommend this carbine because it is light weight, durable, and it comes with a lifetime no questions asked factory warrantee.
    I can not say much for the other choice because I have never used one.

7. Drriley

Drriley New Member

I have both in 9mm, and both are very good rifles. While the Marlin is much better quality, you will have no trouble with the Hi-Point. You will see a lot of negitave comments on the Hi-Point, but I have seen no problems with the rifle. I have the older stock version and have not shot the new version.

The biggest difference will be in the cost. The Hi-Point will be about 1/2 the cost of the Marlin (even the extra magazines)..

8. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

Never tried the Marlin, but I own 3 Hi Point 9mm carbines.
    They are fun, dependable and inexpensive.
    the new TS carbines have LRHO and are much smoother operating than the previous version.
    Another one to consider although they aren't made anymore, is the Ruger PC9. It uses the same mags as the P series pistols and is really a solid carbine.

9. MikePapa1

MikePapa1 New Member

I carry my Camp 9 fitted with a folding stock as my "car gun." As it will fire the same ammunition as my carry gun. I've had this Camp 9 for more than 10 years and have put a far amount of rounds through it including the Hydra-Shok 115gr +P+ Federals that I use as my carry ammo with no problems. It it a quality weapon.

10. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

you really need to try the TS version. the stock is more rigid and feels so much more solid. and it still has virtually no kick back.

11. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

hipoint rocks

Agree!, then put a red dot on that baby and you own the range, the tool is so accurate with a good red dot, we draw small thumb size monsters and such over the target sheet, and shoot them at 35 yards! heck at that distance you could shoot little plastic figures if you have some.

Anyhow my wife and daughter prefer iron sights, so the red dot went back to its box:(
    [​IMG]

12. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

quick fix for that: his, hers, and hers 995's ;) one for the whole family and just in time for christmas :D

13. azrudy

azrudy New Member

Hi, heard good things about both. One thing to keep in mind is that the Marlin is no longer in production so parts at some point could be a concern. That being said I kick myself for passing up on a Marlin CC in 9mm new for $250 at a gunshow last year. Whichever one you pic you really can't go wrong! Azrudy

14. FT360

FT360 New Member

Camp 9, just look at the two side by side.

The Hipoint is sloppily made, and there are machining marks all over the place, and it's just cheaply made.

The camp 9 is about Ruger quality.

15. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

wow, sloppily and cheaply made and machine marks everywhere? no offense, but that sounds like a gun snobbish comment to make...

I have a 995ts and it fires as well and as accurately as anything else. You buy a gun for its function, not because it's pretty...

If u want a cheap gun that will work when u use it the 995 is just fine.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Wait, i'm getting confuzelled here; isn't the "camp 9" the marlin model? Alternatively, are you making a ruger PC9 vs. Marlin Camp Carbine workmanship comparison?

17. FT360

FT360 New Member

IRT Darkfreedom:

I didn’t say it didn’t work, from what I’ve read Hipoints work good.
    I’m just saying, I find them very crude.
    It seems like something Harbor Freight could make.

IRT Orangello:

No, I just meant the workmanship seems comparable to an average Ruger gun, be it a 10/22 or whatever, as a comparison to what I thought of Hipoints.

18. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

well, I think many would agree that function is far more important than form. True the older style HP's are ugly, but the newer TS looks much nicer.

19. FT360

FT360 New Member

It’s not looks; it’s the quality of the weapon.
    It’s below my quality standards, I wouldn't trust my life to it.

I’m not picky for instance I have no problems with Norinco guns, or the Maveric 88 shotgun they’re not pretty but they’re well made of good parts and they work.

20. DarkFreedom

DarkFreedom New Member

and that's what makes this place so nice, we all have different opinions. I would use my HP in a life threatening situation because I know it well and I know it is dependable.