The best of the worst

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tCan, Feb 26, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

So, what are some of the most worthy of the low end pistols? Like sub-$200.

2. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

High point, Star, Heritage...there's a few off the top of my head.

3. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Taurus cranks out a lot of junk too

4. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Taurus has a pretty nasty reputation and can often be found pretty cheap. I don't understand it but I take full advantage of it. I've shot several Taurus firearms and never had a problem with any of them. I've shot their 1911 which I swear will run right alongside my Kimber any day. I've shot one of their polymer 45's (I forget which model) that reminded me of a sig. It wasn't quite as comfortable as the sig but performed just as well. I've shot one of the judge models which I actually didn't care for. It was no fault of the gun, the gun worked fine, but I just don't have need for a gun like that. I own one of the Taurus 24/7's and can say that it will keep up with my xd and my glock any day. Actually, it outperforms the glock because the 24/7 I have has never had a malfunction of any kind. I cannot say the same for my glock.
    Based on their reputation, it seems to be a gamble whether you get a good one or a bad one. Maybe I've been extremely lucky, maybe not, but if the price is right on one, I personally wouldn't hesitate.

5. phburks

phburks New Member

Which Taurus guns do you have experience with? Just curious.

6. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

I'm still tryin' to find that junky Taurus everybody's talkin' about I've had the 24/7 pro c (9mm), the PT1911 (.45), the Judge (6.5" ss)...they all shot good and never failed me. Oh well I'll just keep on lookin

7. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Every person I know, ( I know quite a few gun nuts) that has owned a Taurus, has had some type of problem. Wait I heard good things about the 24/7 but anything else has had problems, especially the revolvers and the 1911s

8. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Jeminez and Phoenix are also cheap garbage.

9. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

I'll see your second hand accounts and raise you a first hand account

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Own a 45 24/7 taurus. Never had any issues with it. Well over 1k rounds had one bad mag.

11. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

Besides the guy wanted to know what descent gun he could get for under $200...not who hates Taurus but has never owned one

12. hmh

hmh New Member

I have had a pt111 millennium take down pin would randomly come out while shooting and the slide would fall of the front. Pt22 the grips keep breaking they are pink fake pearl bought it for my wife. The pistol will not shot with broken grips. And I made sure they are not over torqued. As soon as I can get rid of it I will not own another Taurus. Gave them two chances and regret both. But great customer service.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I have to call on that --- Well, unless you only know 1 mabe 2 Taurus owners :rolleyes:

If you knew me you could say "I know a guy who's owned well over a dozen Taurus hanguns & 95% of them were good dependable shooters" :)

2nd hand & hearsay will bite you if not carefull :(

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Good point :cool:

15. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Taurus has to be one of the worst firearms companies around. Instead of taking the time to research and design and test their products. They just seem to build and let paying customers test their products. They brag in their brocheres about how they take an idea and have it for sale in less than a year and it takes other companies 2 or 3 years to do the same. Maybe it because other companies take time to work all the bugs out before they sell it. Save yourself the hassle and buy something other than taurus. A hi point would probably at least function properly even though they are ugly as sin. And yes i have had a couple taurus firearms and had multiple problems. I am not talking second and will never buy another

16. Greg_E

Greg_E New Member

Taurus isn't bad, but I prefer American made whenever possible!

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Like the man said :rolleyes:
    Don't matter if you've owned hundreds-

18. tCan

tCan Active Member

Trying to get back on track, the Jennings J22 looks like the Walther PPK. Both of them come in .22LR and .25ACP. But does it hunt?

19. tCan

tCan Active Member

Bring Up My Post

20. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Look no further. I had (operative word being had) a Taurus M85 .38SPL
    that when fired would spit hot lead everywhere and then the cylinder
    would not open. I sent it back to Taurus 3 times (it took 6 weeks each
    time) and the gun was never fixed. No, I didn't trade or sell it. I
    threw it in Mobile Bay. Hopefully, the salt water will fix it. Trust my life
    to a Taurus? Not likely.