the best ar?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by glock219, Jul 25, 2012.

1. glock219

glock219 New Member

Who makes the best ar?

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Care to at least introduce yourself first in the intro section? Or at least where's the "Hi / Hello"?

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

go read the stickies, then the build threads, then build your own ... and decide for yourself ;)

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

I never owned an ar .. I want one but not going to pay 1500 for one. I was told colt is still the top dog for an ar 15.

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Colt... Duh. I thought everyone knew that. ;)

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Go search all the different forums you will get a different answer everywhere you go because everyone that has one thinks theirs is the best . :D

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Everyone's got an opinion. Mine is PWS. They make a long Stroke Piston AR (think AK). Super reliable MilSpec and it comes fully dressed, with Magpul furniture and sights, BCM gunfighter charging handle, their FSC556 muzzle break and enhanced buffer tube and Quad rails. Plus there is no gas regulator to mess with like most other piston ARs.
    I snagged mine for $1,500 plus plus.

For those thinking that gas piston is a passing fad think AK, M1, HK and Sig. They're all using some sort of a gas piston for QUITE some time and it's worked for them.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on what your intended use is.

10. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

This is easy.

The one you just got or the one you want.
    As I don't have a clue what either of the above are, you will have to say.
    I have mine and if I didn't like it, it would get traded, but it's mine.

11. connectegr

connectegr New Member

As mentioned it depends on your use. I have used several expensive Colts and LMTs. And recently spent an afternoon with the HK416. These were all $2k++ rifles, which worked flawlessly. But in the short run, I could not tell much difference. The furniture and optics varied. There is a lot of support on the forum for BCM. I have used some of their accessories and BCG, and they make high quality stuff. I have not shot a complete BCM rifle. All of this said, my personal AR is a Delton with a few upgrades. With and without the upgrades it has shot thousands of rounds flawlessly. With upgrades and EOtech I am still under $1500. Depending on your preferences, barrel length may make the biggest difference. There are a lot of good choices in the $1000 range. Read the sticky posts and other posts as there are some brands that you may not want at any price.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I do. :p :p :p

13. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

The best AR is made by yourself to the desired specs you want. I just finished building my first and a test fire. I have to say it is AWESOME. I have to wait to put more rounds in it due to just having surgery on my left arm this morning.

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Build your own and you can have pride in your weapon and not just a name brand with sub-par components. I looked at my buddies RRA and Stag, and was disappointed in some of the components. Unless your dropping $2500 and up, there will always be some components in the gun that could be improved. My build will end up around $2300, but I know if will be one bad mofo. Im down to the barrel and rail now, then its done. Building your own let's you learn about the weapon an understanding for each variable that comes into play. All to often people buy low end AR'S and slap on a sight an thing they have a good , accurate, and reliable weapon. What I mean by building is from scratch and not buying a complete lower and upper and slapping them together.

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

This is expressly why I went with my PWS. Mainly I liked their long stroke piston over any other piston system under $2k, but it was also the 3rd party parts used. I felt if I customized any other piston AR this way, I was looking at close to $1800-$2000. Again, it is a piston system...but...:cool:

16. orangello

orangello New Member

The best AR is one you never need to kill anything larger than a squirrel with.

;) They are available in deer-legal calibers too.