The Best 22 Rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by GlockBurg, Mar 17, 2013.

1. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

I am a handgun owner but am now considering my first semi-auto rifle... Primarily for range and fun... Which is the best model and brand?

2. danolator

danolator New Member

Can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. They've been around for a long time. I have the Take Down model and it performs like a champ.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What is the best car? What is the best airplane? What is the best golf club? What is the best college?

There is no such thing.

That said my top 3 I would consider are:
    S&W AR15-22 (own it)
    Marlin Model 60
    Ruger 10/22

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm a HUGE fan of the 10-22. Their out of the box performance is great and there is literally TONS of things you can do with them with aftermarket parts available everywhere. I have three and could have a couple more.

Buy you can't look at semi auto 22 rifles without looking at the Marlin rifles too. I am no tas much a fan of the tube mag but thereis no denying that they are very good rifles. I am in the middle of a rebuild to an old model Glenfield 60 that was treated very poorly before it made it to me. I'm looking forward to how it ends up.

There are bolt guns made by Savage that are pretty nice. I don't like the models without the accu-trigger as much because the triggers are a bit gritty but they are accurate. And if a bolt gun is your flavor they are worth looking at.

If a lever gun is for you then the Henry.....Nuff said there.

If I was looking to get a 22 rifle today and did no town one then the Ruger 10-22 would be a sure bet for me. THe idea that you can keep it as is or totally change it to fit whatever you might want from it is just too much to pass on.
    I am kind of a 22 addict though. So I just seem to keep coming home with them.....Don't look at me like that!!!:eek: Don't judge me!;):p I can stop any time I want....I just don't want to...so there.

5. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Ruger 10 22 is excellent but i have an original marlin model 60 in my closet with literally a million rounds through it so ya know personally id go with the marlin m 60

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

in the semi-auto 22 rifle choices. there are two that are standouts. both are decently priced as well.

the Marlin M60. if you just want a rimfire semi-auto 22, that at most might put a scope on it and then just enjoy it the way it is, this would be my first suggestion and choice. very accurate right out the box.

the Ruger 10/22. now if you enjoy tinkering and modifying your firearms or might want to in the future, then the 10/22 might be the best choice for you. they probably make more aftermarket parts and accessories for the 10/22 than any other rimfire 22 rifle.

i own an older M60 and have to say it's a very good rifle and one i enjoy shooting a lot. i have shot several 10/22's, but stock, out of the box, i do prefer the M60. now i have given some thought that maybe one day in the future, i might get a beater 10/22, and do some customization to it and make budget tackdriver.

7. GRUMPN

GRUMPN New Member

I like the Remmy Nylon 66, Rugar 10/22 and then the Smith AR15/22.
    In a bolt a Remmy Nylon 10 or 11. In a pump definitly a Winchester & a Henry or Marlin in a lever. Ric

8. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Thanks everyone! Going shopping later today!

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  10. steve666

steve666 New Member

The Marlin Model 60 is terrific. I've owned one since the mid-70's and it is still my favorite. They even make them in stainless now.
    [​IMG]
    If you are one of those who are never satisfied and like to keep adding stuff then the Ruger 10/22 is for you. They're like an AR15, a 1911, or a Glock, there is all kinds of garbage you can hang on them. If you like a good, quality piece of equipment that is good as is, and to which you would only add a sling and a good scope, then get the Model 60.

11. savorydave

savorydave New Member

I saw that Rossi is offering the Circuit Judge in a .22 cal. now with .22L & .22 Mag. cylinders that you swop-out to your ammo preference.

Anyone here fired one?

12. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

est .22 rifle

It depends what action floats your boat.I like them all and have them all. I prefer the semi-automatic, and my go to gun is always the Marlin Model 60,even though I have 2 10 22's. I like the slimmer profile of the 60. I believe the Marlin 60's are more accurate out of the box as compared to the Rugers, which now collect dust. :) Cliff

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  13. ajb

ajb New Member

Sig 522, accurate and 25 round mags. Kinda tacti-cool to if your into that.
    Threaded barrel for a suppressor, I put one on mine and it's some quiet backyard shooting:D

DSC00932.jpg

14. engr

engr New Member

Weatherby 22 semi. I tried a friends in the late 1970s and loved it. Just couldn't part with the cash for a 22 until 2 years ago I found one at a gun show for an excellent price. Accurate rifle. Try one and you will most likely want one. Ruger 10-22 is also a good rifle and can be modified, but I have an AR15 that I can and do modify.

15. poncaguy

poncaguy New Member

best 22 rifle

Remington Nylon 66 ( I think that's the number) and Ruger 10-22.....both great 22 rifles.

16. lovemy1911

lovemy1911 New Member

The 10/22 is a fun rapid fire 22. So is the M&P 15-22. I have an M&P. it's fun to shoot. I also have a savage pre accutrigger. I love em both the savage is a tack driver. I also have the S&W 22A hand gun. It's all preference. U might want to shoot other people's before making a decision

17. preventec47

preventec47 New Member

I honestly dont think there are any bad 22 brands. Tell you the truth,
    just call all your local pawn shops and gun stores and see what
    is for sale used. Just get the best deal and you will have fun.
    Understand this however, the 22 is simply not naturally an accurate
    cartridge. But it will generally serve its purpose for plinking and
    even hunting at relatively short ranges. To be real honest most
    of the better guns shoot tennis ball size groups at 100 yards
    with most ammo. Hey that is good enough for rabbits at 50 yards
    and squirrels at 30 yards etc.

18. Wolf1066

Wolf1066 New Member

For me, it's the CZ 452-2E ZKM.

I had one and it got stolen.

So I bought a second one.

Bought my first one when I was young and ever had an experienced hunter look at the CZ and say "whatinhell you buy THAT for?" just got the approving nods and "they're good guns".

Now I'm one of the "old guys" who nods approvingly when some young guy shows off his shiny new CZ - the circle turns.

The 452's a bolt action, but they have a nice range of semi-autos that'd be to the same good quality.

19. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

I have had 5 Ruger 10/22s in my life time so far. Any Marlin 6o and their cousins will out shoot the Ruger guns hands down every time. Yea they do not have the after market accessories the Ruger can get. But I would rather have a accurate gun out of the box over accessories. Now I have two 22 rifles both are Marlin Model 80 Bolt actions and both are tack drivers. I gave up on the mediocre 10/22 accuracy. Sure they are accurate enough for plinking and some show good groups with the ammo they like but my experience with them is there are more accurate guns out there that will out shine them. The only Ruger 10/22 I ever had that was really accurate was the target model and it just was too heavy to be considered a field gun.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  20. MoganDavid

MoganDavid New Member

WHAT? nobody mentions a Ruger 77-22? I have one of those in SS and also a 10-22 in SS, the ltd edition longer barrel Wally used to sell. Remmy nylon always reminded me too much of a Daisy.
    There are so many variations and potential mods of the 10-22, I have to agree w recommendation for it.