The BEST 1911 IWB holster???

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by feedsasquatch, Oct 9, 2009.

1. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Alright, I can legally carry my Colt Combat Commander now:D And WOW, that thing is heavy... My thin leather IWB with a metal clip just isn't cutting it for all-day carrying (custom made from a local shop for just $35). I need something better.

So, what's the best leather IWB holster that ~$100-$125 can buy? I want something that's very thin (because I'm uber-thin), and is going to hold up well over time. It would also be nice if was comfortable. I'd like to carry at 4 o'clock, but my current holster makes my gun rub my hip raw... Would it help if the holster was fitted to sit high?

I wear 1 1/2" thick belts.

Oh, and what's the difference between horse hide and cow hide as far as holsters are concerned?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

One comes from a horse, the other......
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

I get my belts here: Gun Belts by The Belt Man

..... who states this:

3. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I'm looking for holsters, not belts. I need to know what the difference horse hide and cow hide makes on a holster, not a belt; as well as WHAT holster to get. But thanks...

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were switching subjects at that point....

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While I do not carry IWB, I have friends that carry 1911s that way and they all use the Comp-Tac MTAC. As far as the different materials - I have no idea.

If you're not using a belt designed specifically to hold a gun securely, carrying a 1911 is next to impossible. The belt is actually more important than the holster IMO. I use Wilderness Tactical Instructor 5-stitch belts and they're great and will support a full-size steel gun...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  6. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Two words...CROSS BREED. Then get yourself a new belt for it. I have pics of mine in the Concealed Carry section, up at the top.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And there in lies your problem! Any veteran CCW will tell you that THE most important part of your PD rig, after the correct weapon is the belt!

A good carry belt (especially for a 1911) will make a sub-standard holster work.

Even if you were to bucks up for the Milt Sparks Versa Max II but carry it on a K Mart paper-compressed belt you would be bitching about the holster.

Listen to the old farts and learn something. My carry belt cost 50% more than my holster and I didn't buy a cheap holster!

It's your life, invest in it! [​IMG]

As far as horse-vs-cow, read what Andy, my holster maker says:

Holsters in Cowhide or Horsehide from Horseshoe Leather

And as for belts, +1 goes to Highpower for his belt maker choice.

I was fortunate to get one of Andy's last belts before he stopped making them. See what a true English Leather artisan recommend to his current customers:

Belts from Horseshoe Leather

We are here to help, NOT TO MAKE MEMBERS LOOK STUPID!

Capace?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I too got a really good quality belt when I started carrying my 1911 - and it made a world fo difference.

I went with a MIlt Sparks and it is worth every damn penny. Amazing quality and it's VERY rigid and doesn't buckle under the weight of the gun.

For an IWB, I have one of these, and it's pretty damn nice. I don't like IWB carry, but this one is the best one I have tried of about 5 total. Not a great cross section, but I really like this one and the way it conceals.

Hope that helps...

JD

9. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Cross Breed Super Tuck Deluxe. I have one in horsehide (I don't wish to argue about material) and wore it for 11 hours straight with my XD45 Compact and not once did it pinch, rub, or irritate my side in anyway. Oh yeah, 7 hours of that was in a car on a long road trip! I wore it with a Cabela's Oil Tanned Ranger Belt with no problems. I do plan on getting a good "gun belt" for it eventually. My brother carries a Kimber Pro Carry I for personal defense and I highly recommended this holster to him for his 1911.

Also, I'm on the stocky side at 5'9" and 210 lbs.

10. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Highpower, my bad, confusing sentence. I edited my post to avoid confusion:D

suprdave, I've heard of crossbread, I just might look into them. "Supertuck deluxe" right?

Cane, my carry belt is a thick leather one from 5.11 tactical. I honestly don't know how it would compare to one of Andy's belts. I DO know that my cheap WM and thin dress belts do NOT work... But even with my thick leather belt my "cheap" holster makes the butt of my Colt Combat commander stick out of my side:eek: Oh, and thanks for the links, VERY informative.

Dillinger, so did you get a miltsparks belt or IWB holster?

kusterleXD, that's what I like to hear! A holster that is comfortable all day long, even in the car and is highly concealable.

Hmmm, I just might end up with a crossbread or milt sparks before too long. Maybe I'll buy it as a birthday present for myself in November:D

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

I like my Galco Jak Slide because it is a belt holster that goes between your pants waistband and the belt. I also like the fact that I can carry different frame sizes, depending on the situation, because it is not enclosed on the end.

As a matter of fact, that's me modeling it on the website, but I receive no compensation from Galco. They just like the way it looks on me.

12. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Yep........

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I got a belt from him from Milt Sparks. I have about 2 dozen holsters of various makers and styles. As I am sure most of the guys here do...

JD

14. Orlando

Orlando New Member

Best holster is Milt Sparks VM2 , unfortunatly there is a 5-6 month wait

15. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Hmmm, does anyone here use a Minotaur MTAC for their 1911? It looks very similar to Crossbreed, but they have more clip options for greater conceal-ability...

16. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

BTW, the Cross Breed comes with a lifetime warranty.

17. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I decided to order a Crossbreed holster for my Colt Combat Commander. Hopefully I like it, a lot.

I can always switch out the clips for some Minotaur CTACs later if I want...

18. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

19. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Have you received your CBST yet and played around with the configuration any?

20. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Another great thread from FTF!
    Based on the info I found here I just ordered a carry belt from Gun Belts by The Belt Man and a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe for my "new to me" Kimber.
    I carry IWB all the time but have never owned a belt built for carry. You all convinced me to try a good belt. Thanks all for the helpful info!
    Will post review when I get 'em