The Battle Rifles That Won WWII

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Amsdorf, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

In the hands of brave men fighting against the Axis powers, these battles rifles were used to win World War II:

The Lee-Enfield
    The Mosin-Nagant
    The M1 Garand

I put this video together to give folks an overview of these rifles, a closer look at them, if you will.

Do you have these rifles, or any of them, and what do you think of them?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzkb9p_KQc[/ame]

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Have all three, love them all from a historical standpoint.

As far as the rifles themselves, the Garand is my favorite, very closely followed by the No.4 Mk1 Enfield.

The Mosin is a good rifle and I love the history, but they just dont impress me as a shooter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'm curious what did the Free French, Dutch, Belgian and other national Forces carry after the fall of their various countries?

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have shot an M1 Garand and would like to have one of my own someday :)

5. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

They were equipped with whatever they could get their hands on, literally. Capture weapons from dead Germans, or captured arms from German supply depots. They were equipped with M1 Garands, the Dutch particularly were given Garands, etc. I'm sure other forces were supplied with the Lee-Enfield, those more expert than I can speak to the British arms given to the free forces.

For that matter, the Lee-Enfield in the video was manufactured here in the USA during WWII by the Savage corporation, as part of the American "lend lease" program, for lack of better way to explain it simply. The rifle has "US Property" stamped on it, but were shipped directly over to equip British Empire forces.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

How can you have a list of WWII Rifles and leave out the Mauser Mdl.98?:D
    And even the Brits were using Jap Arisakas left over from WWI.:)

7. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Nightstalker, check the title of the video. The video is not about a "list of WWII rifles" nor about rifles picked up or captured...

:)

Next time you might want to watch at least the first few minutes of a video posted...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

It's hit or miss when you buy a Mosin, plus you have to consider:

The lousy trigger.
    The terrible iron sights.

Master the trigger and the sights and ... the accuracy is actually quite good, most of the time.

But, for $120 and change, where else can you get an authentic WWII era battle rifle that shoots relatively inexpensive ammo that you know was one of the rifles, or at least one of the kind of rifles, the Soviets used to defeat the Nazi powers and help bring down Nazi Germany during WWII.

Plus, if you get a M44 Carbine version of the 91/30 you won't get more "bang" for your buck anywhere!

9. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Word of advice:

Get one now, they are not getting any cheaper.

Buy directly from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, where you will have the best rifles and assurance of their function and quality. You can pick up a nice "service grade" still for around $700, including shipping.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No one every picked up a Mdl.98 Mauser?:confused:

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

All of the Nordic allies Norway,Sweden were armed with the Mauser turn bolt rifle. Most if not all South American allies were armed with Mausers.:D

12. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Whatever you say. We all know how much the South American Allies contributed to victory over the Nazis.

Geesh.

:rolleyes:

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

For crying out loud. It is a video about the Garand, the Enfield, and the Mosin. The reason the Mauser is not in there is because IT'S NOT ABOUT MAUSER.

You might as well complain about why a third team wasn't given any playing time in a football game.

14. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

If the guy had but spent only a few minutes checking his facts about the SA effort, he would have learned:

Brazil, from 1942, participated in anti-submarine warfare in the South and Central Atlantic and; in July 1944 sent an Expeditionary Force of 25,000 army and air force personnel to the Italian campaign; Mexico, in March 1945 sent an air force unit, Escuadrón 201 to join the US Far East Air Force, during the Philippines campaign.

The other 18 countries from this group contributed support in many ways such as providing necessary metals and other raw materials towards the war effort.

As for what Brazilians used when they found their way to Italy:

The Brazilian Expeditionary soldiers, psychologically ill prepared, overcame, more than anybody else, difficult and shameful situations from the Atlantic crossing to the front that happened over and over again in view of the uncertainties of war. American authorities were disappointed first with the inadequate health conditions of the first Brazilian troops that reached Italy. They were also disappointed with inadequate uniforms, coats and shoes wore by Brazilian troops. The U.S. Army had to provide adequate clothing and equipment by General Mark Clark's personal effort. Brazilian military authorities were not concerned about the information brought by the Observer Group, in December 1943 that was sent to Italy and Northern Africa, and about other information, not less important, reported by Brazilian officer serving in the Fifth Army.

It was under such an unjustifiable shame that Brazilian troops started war operations in September, 1944: American guns and ammunition, American shoes and coats, almost all American food (even the Brazilian coffee could not be used). As for the uniforms, besides being of poor quality and too light for low temperatures, they were similar to the enemy's, dangerously confusing aviation and our Allies, who could take us as opponents.

So, Brazil, maybe it was the thought that counts, but next time, you can sit it out.

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'm so sick of the 3rd team not getting any playing time! :( It's just not fair! :p

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Sure you can.. A M1895 Steyr Stuzen, about the same price, WAY more BANG! :p

Sorry I still think Mosins are the worst mil-surp out there, Even after my M39, Everything the Finns did was good but it still has the horrible Mosin receiver and bolt.. Its not really that they are "bad" its just all the others are that much better....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I did not think the guy was that knowledgeable & he mispronounced a lot of words & used a lot of wrong term terminology.

18. samnev

samnev New Member

Very sound advice. Who knows how much longer they will be available under the current administration.:(

19. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

The Mdl .98 was on the losing side. (Thank God)

20. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

The Mosin single-handedly won WWII...ya I said it.