The Baseball Thread! MLB News.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dallas53, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

i love baseball. love watching it on TV or listening to it on the radio. well, pretty soon the 2018 MLB season is fixing to get underway. to me when baseball season starts, that is the first sign of spring for me!

3-29-2018, my team the Texas Rangers, will play my other team, the Houston Astros, the 2017 World Series winner.

guess where i'll be? yep! right in front of the TV rooting for both of them! :D

i have feeling 2018 is going to be a great year for baseball!

did i say i love baseball? yep! i love baseball! :)

Daoust_Nat likes this.
  2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Bunch of over payed cry babies if you ask me !.........Just my two cents..........

TimKS and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

for most professional sports i agree with you Tom. but baseball seems to have the least amount of over-payed cry babies in it! :D

plus, they don't kneel during the National Anthem! :)

(except for that ONE idiot last season. he was shamed by all the other players!) :cool:

Sniper03 likes this.
  4. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

...along with the football, basketball, tennis, golf, soccer players.

303tom and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Dallas53

my love for the game goes back to when i was really young. my father, and my grandfather on my mother's side, both loved baseball, my father was a Houston Astro's fan, and my grandfather was a Texas Ranger's fan! so i got to go to both games and see then play wehn i was a youngster.

so use to love riding around with my father, or my grandfather, listening to the games on the radio. my grandfather always had the radio on in his work shop listening to the games when they were playing.

baseball was the only sport i ever played in school, and the only one i enjoyed playing, even though i wasn't that good at playing the sport. but i still had fun playing.

6. Dallas53

just a few more days until the regular MLB season starts! this for me is the official start of spring and summer! :):D

7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to disagree with you. I am a baseball fan. I love going to the games. It is the best radio game for the car. However in my 69+ years I have found the most down to earth professional athletes I have interacted with are the NHL players. In the summer they will show up at pick up games and just have a good time. They will go have a beer with everyone afterward, and are just down to earth people...... who drive nicer cars than the rest of us!

That said, Go Phillies!

With the downtime I will have this summer with this stinking disease, I purchased MLB Extra Innings for the first time. I will see some games!

Typically I get the Rays and the Marlins and whatever National game is on. Well my Phillies have sucked so I have not seen a lot of them. I will this year and I believe they will be a tad better.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Daoust_Nat

I played also, and was a decent 3rd baseman and shortstop. However my high school was one of the best in PA in the mid 60s. If there had been a true state championship I believe we would have been one of the favorites. I think if I remember correctly we had about 6 or 7 losses in 3 years. They had 3 3rd baseman better than I and several SS that fit into the same envelope.

There were about 5 guys who were drafted or signed to contracts in 1966 & 1967. One of note. Jon Matlack.

Jon had only a couple earned runs allowed in 2 years, and only lost one game. His last, and that was on an unearned run. He was pitching American Legion ball at 13.

Jon had a write up in the local paper touting his; “vaunted curve ball.” I once asked him after a summer league game when he was going to throw me that “vaunted curve ball?” He said “when you hit my candy assed fastball!” I couldn’t hit either one.

I think he works for the Rangers now. My buddy (same high school ) and I have run into him at Spring Training games a couple times over the years. He is still a down to earth guy.

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. Dallas53

well tomorrow is opening season for the Texas Rangers and the Houston Astros! they will be broadcasted on ESPN. :)

10. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Go Braves!

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. Dallas53

Baseball season starts today! Yippee! :):D:cool:;)

12. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

13. Dallas53

well the Texas Rangers played the Houston Astros for their opening game of the 2018 season. they lost 4 to 1. but there are 161 more games to go! Go Rangers!

14. Dallas53

Rangers won their first game tonight! 5 to 1 against the Astros! Woot, woot! :D

Go Rangers! :)

15. Daoust_Nat

I think the Braves want to play more games against the Phillies. Where else will the find a manager that pulled his best pitcher after 68 pitches and with a 5-0 lead? Or a guy who comes out and pulls his pitcher with no one warming up in the bull pen.

Unbelievable.

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

#RollTribe

Dallas53 likes this.
  17. Dallas53

well the Astros are showing why they won last years World Series! Go Astros!

the Rangers are starting off the season sort of behind this year, but the season is still early, and there are lots of games left for them to turn it around. and they can! Go Rangers!

18. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

4 in a row!:D:D:D

Dallas53 and LT2108 like this.
  19. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Tough to see my Royals go through another rebuilding phase.... Just hope it doesn't take 30 years again

20. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Indians got rained out both days this weekend.:(:(