Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lethality of the 22 LR An Alternate Look at .22 LR Handgun Stopping Power

.22LR Is often scoffed at and overlooked seen as a toy. In this study of 154 people shot with the .22LR in a handgun were stopped with one Head, Neck, Torso shot 60% of the time with being totally incapacitated with 34% being fatal.

.22LR Is often scoffed at and overlooked seen as a toy. In this study of 154 people shot with the .22LR in a handgun were stopped with one Head, Neck, Torso shot 60% of the time with being totally incapacitated with 34% being fatal. Surprised? Check out my YOUTUBE Tabletop review of the Lethality of the 22 LR in An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power. Written by: Greg Ellifritz at Active Response Training.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/foru...ce=threadloom#/topics/1198387?postid=11953327

It's Not my FIRST choice of defense, but as I'm fond of pointing out to others: NO ONE ever volunteers to jump in front of one!

Over the years I had .22 LR only 8 shot & 9 shot revolvers.
I like the power the .22 magnum brings to the table, the extra expense offsets its prolific use.
When it comes to shooting heavy muscle critters like badger and raccoon.
Humans fall into the heavy body muscle mass catagory.
Something the rimfire magnum handes better than the .22 Lr.

·
Administrator
26,004 Posts
Given my choice of ANY caliber, I'll go for 155mm.

But a .22LR to the head will make a zombie lay down and be a good zombie. My stepmom was up in the years, and would have difficulty with most major power handguns. But she had a Colt Woodsman, and could chew you to pieces with 10 rounds of .22 hollow point.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I killed my first deer with a .22 savage single shot.
Preceded by many squirrels, rock chucks, magpies, swallows, and fewr crows than I shot at(they're crafty). Even a duck on the wing once.

Proper shot placement and it will keep you fed. I wouldn't ever try an elk or a bear though.

·
Premium Member
9,721 Posts
I like the power the .22 magnum brings to the table, the extra expense offsets its prolific use.
When it comes to shooting heavy muscle critters like badger and raccoon.
Humans fall into the heavy body muscle mass catagory.
Something the rimfire magnum handes better than the .22 Lr.
i'm, a hog hunter. Outside of deer season hunters in the OK WMAs are limited to rimfire rifles and shotguns with small shot. The same is true of Fort Sill, where i often hunt hogs. For years i killed hogs with the .22 LR. It left something to be desired, especially on hogs over about 150 pounds.

Then i got myself a Savage rifle in .22 magnum. Using the CCI total metal jacket ammunition, i've taken numerous wild hogs over 200 pounds with heart-lung shots. My shots are limited to 75 yards or less.

This very old boar was killed with my Ruger 10/.22:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
It's Not my FIRST choice of defense, but as I'm fond of pointing out to others: NO ONE ever volunteers to jump in front of one!
So true! My wife's bedside gun is a Ruger Super-Single-Six convertible, with CCI .22 Maxi-Mag hollow-points. She is a dead-eye shot and am comfortable with both the abilities of the round and her skills. Follow-up shots are much easier than with a .380 or 9mm. Elsewhere, she has ready-access to .22LR pistols and carbines and can do wonders with a Mini-14 or M1 Carbine.
But as mariners say: "Any port in a storm", and .22 caliber is the nearest port.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
The American 180's we had at the sheriff's office would chew through a concrete block with a half-magazine (177 rounds). Butchering hogs, we always use a .22, father-in-law used .22 shorts (he had it down pat). A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44 magnum.

Swamp people kill some mighty big gators with their .22's. If I had only one firearm, it would be a .22 long rifle of some sort. As posted before, my .22 single-shot derringer goes everywhere with me, just like my pocketknife, in my pocket. As a lad, I watched a fellow pick off empty 12-gauge hulls on a wooden fence with a High-Standard semi-auto pistol fired in a couple of seconds. Stuck in my mind over 60 years.

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Lucky Gunner has some very interesting test results on the 22lr and 22 mag from snubs and 4" semi auto. Turns out CCI Stinger is one of worst performing rounds. Velocitor is one of the best. Has me considering an LCR in 22 mag. Also considering Aguila Interceptors for the LCR 22lr.

·
Premium Member
11,829 Posts
Given my choice of ANY caliber, I'll go for 155mm.

But a .22LR to the head will make a zombie lay down and be a good zombie. My stepmom was up in the years, and would have difficulty with most major power handguns. But she had a Colt Woodsman, and could chew you to pieces with 10 rounds of .22 hollow point.
Do you have an ankle holster for that one?

That is the question I ask the young clerks in gun shops when pointing to a massive revolver under the glass.......I do, sometimes get odd looks...I have also had them go ask.

·
Supporting Member
11,790 Posts
Sheriff
You are right! Those High Standard Pistols are one fine Pistol.
Here is one of my pride and joys! HS Model 107 Military. I shot Metal Silhouette Competition with to tell how accurate they are. In fact that was the second perfect score shot in the State at the time. For those who do not know we shot up to 100 yards during the 22 Cal competition.
High Standard Military.JPG
Silhouette Targets.jpg
5 Targets at each Range. Chickens at 25, Pigs at 50, Turkeys at 75 and Rams at 100.
Here is a picture of 3 of the 5 Pigs at 50 Yards. The Rams were at 100 Yards.By the last round knowing all was on the Line for a perfect score. It seemed like it took 2 minutes to get down there and CLANG on the last Metal Ram. And the last Ram fell in slow motion!:) But to the point somewhere I heard someone was making copies and reproduction of the High Standard Semi Auto Pistols?
PIGS at 100 Yards.jpg

Bottom line I would not want to face anyone with them even in the 22Cal while committing a robbery or home invasion!
You could be filled with a whole Clip full of 22s in seconds. NO RECOIL! OH and don't mess with GRANNY!:p

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Lucky Gunner has some very interesting test results on the 22lr and 22 mag from snubs and 4" semi auto. Turns out CCI Stinger is one of worst performing rounds. Velocitor is one of the best. Has me considering an LCR in 22 mag. Also considering Aguila Interceptors for the LCR 22lr.
The Ruger LCR has one of the worst triggers in the world. I had one in 22 mag,and would have better luck throwing the gun at someone than actually shooting them with it.
I traded it in for a S&W M&P 40 and haven't missed it one bit!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Sheriff
You are right! Those High Standard Pistols are one fine Pistol.
Here is one of my pride and joys! HS Model 107 Military. I shot Metal Silhouette Competition with to tell how accurate they are. In fact that was the second perfect score shot in the State at the time. For those who do not know we shot up to 100 yards during the 22 Cal competition. View attachment 223622
Here is a picture of 3 of the 5 Pigs at 100 Ya rds. By the last round knowing all was on the Line for a perfect score. It seemed like it took 2 minutes to get down there and CLANG on the Metal Pig. And the last Pig fell in slow motion!:) But to the point somewhere I heard someone was making copies and reproduction of the High Standard Semi Auto Pistols?
View attachment 223624
Bottom line I would not want to face anyone with them even in the 22Cal while committing a robbery or home invasion!
You could be filled with a whole Clip full of 22s in seconds. NO RECOIL! OH and don't mess with GRANNY!:p

That would be a lot of fun!

·
Supporting Member
11,790 Posts
Rifling
It is a whole lot of fun and addicting. The good news is it does not cost a whole lot to compete at a top level.
I also had a Thompson Contender 10" Barrel 22 Cal and a 30-30 10" Barrel loaded to close to 308 specs, shooting Sierra 168 gr. BTJHP for it to compete in the High Power Std. Pistol Class out to 200 yards!! Which obviously the Rams were larger than in the 22 LR. Class.
I miss those good old days. I do not presently know if they are holding the Metal Silhouette Competition anywhere. A friend of mine wanted me to get involved with Cowboy Action Shooting. But regarding the invitation to do Cowboy Action Competition I have enough vices without getting hooked on CAS!:p And would have to buy those type of Revolvers and a Shotgun and load for them! $$$$$$
Fedearl LR 22.jpg

But I did keep a complete set of the 22 LR Metal Comp. Silhouette Targets that I used to practice with. The kids and grandkids love to shoot them and hear the Ping and watch them fall over!
This was basically the ammo I used to compete with although at the time it came in a Federal Red Plastic Labeled Container that held 50 Rounds. I think today they are around $28.00 for 500 Rounds. Around 6 cents per round. (At .056ea.)

Reactions: Rifling82

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Rifling
It is a whole lot of fun and addicting. The good news is it does not cost a whole lot to compete at a top level.
I also had a Thompson Contender 10" Barrel 22 Cal and a 30-30 10" Barrel loaded to close to 308 specs, shooting Sierra 168 gr. BTJHP for it to compete in the High Power Std. Pistol Class out to 200 yards!! Which obviously the Rams were larger than in the 22 LR. Class.
I miss those good old days. I do not presently know if they are holding the Metal Silhouette Competition anywhere. A friend of mine wanted me to get involved with Cowboy Action Shooting. But regarding the invitation to do Cowboy Action Competition I have enough vices without getting hooked on CAS!:p And would have to buy those type of Revolvers and a Shotgun and load for them! $$$$$$
View attachment 223694
But I did keep a complete set of the 22 LR Metal Comp. Silhouette Targets that I used to practice with. The kids and grandkids love to shoot them and hear the Ping and watch them fall over!
This was basically the ammo I used to compete with although at the time it came in a Federal Red Plastic Labeled Container that held 50 Rounds. I think today they are around $28.00 for 500 Rounds. Around 6 cents per round. (At .056ea.)

That’s the type of competition I would enjoy, I checked a couple years ago and the closest shoot near me was 3+ hours away

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
The ability to 'stop' the attacker and 'leathality' are to TOTALLY different things!;)

Reactions: RJF22553

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Biggest liability is the rimfire ignition reliability.
Then wound size for reliable AND rapid stops.

in the 90s my pocket pistol was a Beretta 21a in .22LR.
Once .380s in the same size range became available, it doesn’t get carried much any more.

Reactions: Rifling82

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
I looked up the video. Something is not right. At about 2:35 it says the Velocitor was the second slowest round at 880 FPS. It’s really about 1400 FPS. Also the methodology is weak, 5 shots is too small a sample to calculate the odds and averages. Just another YouTube show.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts