The art of casting , molds and forging

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by MobileMarine, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

It is truly an art to know how to do these things .
    How cool would it be to make your own brass and molds for your lead ?
    Not only for the ammo side of things , but what if you need a hammer for your 120yo shot gun ? Cast it .
    Wondering how many we have here who know these things .
    Sand casting
    Lost wax casting
    mold casting
    I know this will be tough to teach on a internet forum but lets give it a shot

2. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Technology has changed a lot in recent years. With all the computers, CAD software and CNC machining, it would likely be faster and cheaper to make parts via CNC machining.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

right now its kinda hard to get a cnc machine at walmart. when the world goes ohsht from glorious leader's spending binge how easy is it going to be to get parts then??

the idea has merit.

4. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

How then do you make the parts for the cnc and cad ect ect

How did the guy make the first lathe ?

Its a art that will be lost soon if we dont learn it

5. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I did some sand casting 30 or so years ago. Time to break out the books, I feel a video coming on.

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Teach us O' Obiwan Kanobi
    What kind of sand is used ?

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Casting steel is pretty difficult.

8. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Mostly cast with aluminum and such. I don't think you can cast with steel since steel is refined iron ore. At least in my recollection, which has been known to be flawed.

9. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Well I would imagine with most ferrous metals you would have a hard time heating to liquid form at home .
    I did learn that with copper , its has to be 100% pure in order to be used as electric wire , by what I understood , recycled copper can not be used .

Small amount of steel could be heated to liquid by oxy, acetylene , but I would assume you would need an original part to mold , say a SxS hammer using wax then you use the wax to get your 1st mold then pour , say ceramic to get your positive to make a final negative mold of the correct size to which you could pour you final material .
    Sound close enough ?

10. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Many parts can be made without a milling machine. A common way is take a piece of steel and draw your part on it. Drill holes all around your drawing to get the rough piece. Now you have almost the same as a rough casting(but odds are better steel). Finish off this piece with a file(sometimes called a hand milling machine). Many things were and still are made out of cast iron(but not gun parts). Casting with steel is quite a process. Obviously we have all seen many parts of guns made from aluminum, which is fairly easy to cast. Our little part of the world has a lot of scrap steel. We can make many things from that without melting it. Few parts in guns have to made very hard(and many of those can just be surface hardened).

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

High load parts like hammers are very difficult, if not impossible to make using casting. The latest rendition, called MIM (Metal Injection Molding) involves expensinve equiptment. Parts such as hammers, sears and firing pins would be best made using a file and high quality forged steel.

12. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I have made many many pins , both replacement and custom using old 1/4 socket extensions as its tool steel and very very hard . I wont go into my lathe process as I got picked on last time but it works .
    I have used feeler gauge for flat springs but is very difficult to drill .
    I have used a chunk of stainless steel boat prop to make a sear trip , stainless is just weird , likes its soft but hard as hell at the same time , maybe its tensil is low but has a hard surface ?
    I have even used a exhaust valve to make a firing pin that could not be bought anywhere .

I want a small lathe but I fear the trouble I would get into If I had one and I damn sure dont need a mill :p

13. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

Look at all of your ruger firearms. Ruger does keep the price down by using investment casts. This is for all ruger arms.

14. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Automotive leaf springs are excellent material for guns and even knives. Hammers, triggers, draw bars, with a file and some patience anything can be carved from them and they are excellent steel.

15. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

ALOT OF THAT .
    Spring steel and piston wrist pins are hard as a wedding night **** or hard as a diamond in a ice storm .
    plus 2 when spring steel gives up its nasty but it all depends on whats its being used for

16. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

It can be anneled and retreated.

17. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Something else that may not be an art but making coil springs are a pain and getting the tuned is even more of a pain , bound and rebound rates and all that jazz