Firearms Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
And this is based on what rational analysis exactly?

I am not a collector of Colt Revolvers, do not have a dog in the hunt so to speak.
but I cannot believe the hostility to this storied company.

I do own one Colt ( a model 66 ) and its beautiful for the money but my firearms focus is elsewhere.

but this would not lead me to denigrate thier product especially thier efforts to rekindle thier classic craftmanship lines.
And yes the Python for example had a hiccup but this was quckly fixed and any reviewers since have done nothing but rave about the workmansship of thier new snakegun revolver line
I just handled a New Colt Python 4.25" which I am waiting to pick up. I also own an "old" Colt Python 4" with Royal Blue finish. There is no comparison. The new Python is light years "improved" over the original. The DA pull through is smooth as glass with NO stacking...maybe 9 pounds, but feels like six! Single action let off is typically glass-rod crisp. The fit and finish is superb, and all edges are perfectly radiused to relieve all sharp edges. The new transfer bar system is mechanically invisible. If you didn't LOOK and see the transfer bar you'd never "feel" it in operation. The new stocks are far nicer than what came on my old Python: laminated walnut and thicker across the top, thinner across the bottom. The new trigger is still grooved, but feels wider. I read that Colt test fired a Python with over 20,000 rounds of .357 magnum to validate that it can handle top loads and hold up. Nobody says that about the original.
My advice to all those hording their originals: SELL! SELL NOW, before the new model gets deep enough into the market for people to discover first-hand how much better it is!

·
Supporting Member
13,306 Posts
Old Ron
Did Noah bring that with him on the Ark at the time! "At a $300 Dollar Price Tag"! :p:p:p:p

Of course I realize back in the day the $300 Bucks wasn't Chicken Feed! We all probably made about
$80.00 - $100 a week back then!;)
If I remember I paid around $179 for my first S&W Model 27 5" 357 Magnum. Beautiful it was! At one time I got my Father in law a D Engraved Colt Blue Python. I think I paid around $600 for it at the time. Not sure what ever happened to it. I would love to have and Anaconda but not in my lifetime at that price! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Over the years I have bought a few guns & always have had a soft spot for the Colt s . Had to save up a while to get one but was always happy when I did . :)
My first Colt 1911 .45 was a real thrill to get & shoot . ( still have it )

·
Supporting Member
13,306 Posts
Old Ron
I have also owned a few over the years. Never had a Python of my own, but my X Father in Law did. Including the D Engraved 6" and 4".Beautiful Revolvers. My X Brother in Law who we are still very close has them today. including the 1911 NM I traded his Dad. That was one fine looking and great Shooting Pistol.:)
But I have owned a Cobra 38, a 1911 National Match 45 that I traded for a Chevy Impala when we needed a car. And a Custom Built Combat Commander that I gave my oldest Son a few years ago. He wanted one and raising the kids could not afford one. SO he got an early Inheritance Gift! :p But they are and always have been quality firearms. As I said earlier I would love to have one of the Anacondas!

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Old Ron
I have also owned a few over the years. Never had a Python of my own, but my X Father in Law did. Including the D Engraved 6" and 4".Beautiful Revolvers. My X Brother in Law who we are still very close has them today. including the 1911 NM I traded his Dad. That was one fine looking and great Shooting Pistol.:)
But I have owned a Cobra 38, a 1911 National Match 45 that I traded for a Chevy Impala when we needed a car. And a Custom Built Combat Commander that I gave my oldest Son a few years ago. He wanted one and raising the kids could not afford one. SO he got an early Inheritance Gift! :p But they are and always have been quality firearms. As I said earlier I would love to have one of the Anacondas!

The prices of them have to come down for all of us to pick one or two up . Problem is some of us can't wait to long !
:p ( time is not on our side )

21 - 34 of 34 Posts