the ammunition shortage shame thread!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hawkguy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

the ammunition shame thread! :p

i imagine the most shamed will run from this thread like the plague! :p

but....did you make any ammo purchased that would make you blush now, during the peak of this ammo panic?

i'll start....i made both my shameful purchases on the same day....223 and 22 were NO WHERE to be found, and i came across the first i had laid eyes on in almost 2 months at a LGS.

i paid $40 for a 50 round box of UMC 223. and i paid $12 for a 50 round box of ely 22. :eek:

i walked out and immediately felt like a tool. i vowed not to pay over 20% mark up of what pre panic prices from that point on. a vow that kept me non shooting for about 4 months as i collected 20 round boxes of 223 at a reasonable price one at a time. as for 22, well...six months later i'm finding it here & there.

about a week after my shameful purchase, i saw bulk packs of federal 22 selling for $90....walked away. sad part, they were selling like hotcakes for that! :eek:

man up! tell your story of shame....IF you dare! lmao!

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hate, hate, hate having a firearm and no ammo for it, so every time I found a good deal on a firearm, usually from someone having to sell due to the poor economy, I also had to get two boxes of ammo in whatever caliber it was. That alone killed the great deal I made on one of the gun purchases! I didn't need to buy .22 or .223, but I HAD to purchase 6.8 SPC, .357 mag and .22-250 at stupid prices I have mercifully forgot exactly how much they were.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Hey Hawk...

Heh heh! :D

I buy my ammo like I buy my food, in bulk...

When I do buy it, it's usually just to replace my stock after a few range trips but with the nuttiness that's gone on the past several months, I haven't bought, or had to buy jack squat...

I came into possession of a family owned Model 70 and I bought just a few boxes of 30.06 to try it out. That's really about all...

Attached Files:

4. hawkguy

yeah....well...that is kinda coming clean about it greg! ;)

come on! what mark up did you eat? more than 50%?

5. hawkguy

ha! i knew this would drag some "i hoarded a million rounds before the panic" posters out of the closet! lmao! j/k :p

i know, i know. many of you had learned from past experiences. being relatively new to the habit, i got caught with my pants down for sure. :(

good for you vincent, and i hate you! :p

6. hawkguy

i think maybe i came across a pic of you, vincent! ;)

Attached Files:

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Hawk, if you find yourself in NC, you're more than welcome to stop by and help me deplete my supply! :D;)

I have no problem sharing! :cool:

Attached Files:

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Pfft...I wish I was that good lookin'...;)

9. TekGreg

50%??? I would've KILLED for ammo ONLY marked up 50%! We're touching more in the 100% area. Luckily, my stupidity was assuaged by only a couple of boxes of each! No case or half-case purchases. Luckily, ammo prices started dropping, as sweating and the shakes were setting in. :p. :rolleyes:

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Here's a question for you, I haven't purchased a single center fire round of ammo in over 6 years (22 LR & shot shells yes). I reload everything else myself, more than I use so I ended up with over 20,000 unfired rounds over 8 years. (load 100 shot 50, load 100 shot 50)

Does that make me a HOARDER??? Or are you just a big mouth?? IMHP ( And yes I took offense to your comments, do not expect a LIKE from me) And for Pete's sake keep your pants up. (LOL)

Jim

11. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

No..................:)

12. hawkguy

bigjim....if you are serious, please understand i meant no offense, just some playful jabbing at vincent. reloaders are the smart ones!

i'm not a big mouth, i just like to have fun and kid around...i never mean to offend anyone...

and i've been trying to keep my belt tight these days.....:p

13. hawkguy

don't feel bad....i got burned too....luckily the burn was too much....and i refused to get burned again! :eek:

14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Its just crazy to me, that everything was selling like crazy, even at the stupid high prices. I cant say I joined in much, but a little. When you want or need something, ya gotta pay the price for it. Timing and patience were not always available. For the most part, Im still stuck in the prices of years ago, so even todays normal prices seem way high to me. Lol.

15. TekGreg

Amen! I've taken the same vow. :D

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Luckily I started reloading right when the panic started. I've only bought two boxes of 5.56 since Dec and it was $7.95. I bought a couple boxes of CCI Mini-Mags at Wal-Mart last week and that is the only factory ammo I've bought besides a couple cases of shotgun shells.

Still waiting for the return of bulk .22 as I'd like to get my stash back up over 10,000 rounds. I was at that before Sandy Hook but am down to my last 4,000 or so. I haven't sold any as my son and I shoot that much.

What I'm looking forward to is all of the resale gougers getting caught with a big stockpile that they can't move. I know of a guy with a connection at a local Wal-Mart who is sitting on 10,000 rounds of 9mm and was trying to get $.75 per round. I hope he has to sell it off for normal retail and had all that money tied up for months.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I bought .45 ACP WWB at $49 per 100 round value pack. I don't consider that bad, as pre panic in my area was $39-$45 depending on where ya found it.

Stupidly, not keeping track of .22 prices, I sold a 500 round bulk pack I had laying around for $20... right IN THE MIDDLE of the panic when people were buying for sometimes up to $150! And my dumb *** felt good about it because the buyer was thrilled (I shoulda known something was up), and I made over 100% profit! (They still had the sticker on them for $7.99).

Woe is me....

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have I bought ammo during the panic? Yes- found my local shop had two boxes of .32 S&W Long wadcutter- and I do not reload that caliber.

However, I did loan that shop one case of 9mm Remington, and 1 case of .22 LR. They will repay me- same amount and type- this fall.

Found I could make my lady barber (a shooter) really happy by tipping her a couple of 50 rd boxes of .22

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Great idea!! I'll talk to mine about a barter! ;)