The Allure of the Gun.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Axxe55, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what drives you when you buy a gun?

is it the looks or a particular platform?

function or form?

does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?

do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying?

just seeing how others base their buying decisions on.

2. stratrider

stratrider New Member

1. What drives you when you buy a gun?
    Mad money in the pocket if I have it

2. Is it the looks or a particular platform?
    The looks (condition) go a long way and the platform? Lately I've been nuts about lever guns and side by side double barrel shotguns with exposed hammers. You can keep you ARs... :p An SVT40? Krag? Now ur talkin'

3. Function or form?
    See number 2 :)

4.Does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?
    Rarely, I was however a little influenced by some magazine articles when I bought my Ruger LCP 380. I really don't care for that gun...

5. Are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?
    Lately its been spontaneity

6.Do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying?
    If it's a really beautiful gun logic goes right out the window

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

That itch for something new, or something to fill a different purpose

Both matter. Who wants a gun that is butt ugly? :p

function or form?
    Depends on the purpose. Generally you get what you want for what you want.

does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?
    Definitely

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?
    Purpose. I never buy a gun without doing research on it.

Logic, but also some emotion when it comes to the final choice. There are good options out there for any purpose. Logic narrows it down to a handful, then emotion (and money) makes the final decision.

4. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Usually, something involving shooting, be it a Clay's event or a hunt, or going out plinking. Probably why I have so many guns ;)

Usually after I decide what I think I need (want) then I usually end up buying for the nicest one on the shelf.

function or form?
    I might not understand this question, I'm sure it will be an oh duh once you splain it to me...

It can; actually, I think it has a lot of influence on me - that and seeing others with something and liking it.

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store? Yes and yes

After my logical side convinces me I "need" the gun then my emotions kick end and cause me to upgrade.

5. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I forgot to mention, I like odd guns too. That's why I bought that .22 short beretta not long ago. It was in pristine condition, was a Baretta and shot an unusual caliber i thought. I'm glad I got it now. Killed a snake with it last summer.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Usually have a specific need and occasionally looking to try something new.

Usually the platform which is dictated by what I need it for.

function or form?
    Function driven mostly by ergonomics.

Never stems from a magazine or talk on forum. Firearms to me, are no more than a platform to launch a bullet.

Purpose

Logic most of the time.

just seeing how others base their buying decisions on.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If for CC , the smallest power punch I can mamage . At home , anything goes .reliability , performance and something's just cause I think they look cool , like my Ruger SR lite . Looks like "Bond , James Bond" . , :D:

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

..yes.....

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a bad habit of personifying inanimate objects such as guns, especially handguns. Before the tragic boating accident I owned many handguns. I touch one and I get the notion I have to give it a home. Platform? I could care less. The only discriminatory rule I apply is not adding another caliber. I hand load everything I shoot and I don't want to start another caliber. There is, however, the S&W 25 LC I've been thinking about. I do have the money for it. The gun shop is open today.

10. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Pure experimenter here. I have a string of wildcat AR's 6x45, 7x39, 22-220 russian, 20-220 russian. I use the AR platform to minimise the factors I'm juggling when I work at a new cartridge. I'm interested in varmit hunting at long ranges so I'm pushing that aspect of the platform. And NO 6.5 grendle is not good enough. Guess you could say I'm looking for 50BMG in an AR package..

Other guns, mostly function though I cant say that looks play no part.

CC I agree on power then capacity for a given concealable size. I currently carry an MP in .40SW. Best punch in that size factor.

I seldom impulse buy, except at gun shows where you only get one go around before its gone..

I'm more likely to buy an old gun with a wild idea for a custom than I am too buy something new...

I do collect for less identifiable reasons. Most of my permanant collection is WW1-WW2 sniper weapons. I guess that could be considered the romance aspect...:D

11. Axxe55

well i use logic and emotion in buying some.

some i buy simply because t want them, as i think every collection should have them, and really have no need for them other than the enjoyment they provide me with owning and shooting them.

some i have bought for simple and more practical reason, and for the most part, i have no emotional attachment to them. these are at any time likely to be traded or sold, only to be replaced by something similiar that fits the same purposes, but might be better than what i had for that specific purpose.

some have been bought for a specific purpose, and unless they fulfill my expectations of how i think they should perform, then they are sold or traded for something else. some have even been bought with a specific idea for a project they were intended for.

one think i can't abide is an ugly gun. personally, i have no desire to own an ugly gun. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different preferences is what appeals to us. there was a time several years ago, that my tastes in rifles leaned more to the pure utility and practical purposes of rifles with synthetic stocks. my tastes now are going back to what they were years ago and now wood and blued steel is taking up more of my collection than in years past. our preferences and desires in guns can change over the years as well. guns that didn't appeal to me years ago are much more desireable now to me.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

My CC (P95 9mm) and beside the bed (12ga 500) guns are the only 2 that had any logic applied...The rest of them were impulse buys. Some i have grown to love, some not so much...The BP/SA revolvers, and lever guns are really starting to pile up...I'm addicted, and probably need help..........:D

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I really need an original Wells-Fargo Winchester...and a stainless 45-70 Guide gun...in case you guys are wondering what to get me for my Birthday......Just putin that out there.....:D

14. Axxe55

repeat this over and over.

i am a gun addict and i will buy more guns to feed my addiction!

i have a 9mm pistol that i bought almost 20 years ago. several times i have thought about selling or trading it, but for some reason, i just couldn't ever follow through with it. it is also one of my least shot pistols that i own, but eve still, i have somewhat of an emotional attachment to that pistol.

i think we all go through phases at some points, or our interests change as we are exposed to different types of guns. i know from being on this forum, that my interests in guns has changed to some degree, and sometimes add some that really interest me to my wish list.

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I have bought a few guns to say the least. I buy on impulse a bunch as most of what I buy has to be a bargain or I won't get it. There are exceptions of course but most are really good deals. I have said it before many times. If a gun goes bang and is safe to shoot I want to own it or at least be able to shoot it. Guns to me are an investment of some sort hence the good deal or I don't buy.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I like all the old ugly Army guns... :p And my "ugliest" gun is my favorite.. ;) :D

17. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I purchase guns for two reasons.

1. I just like the gun. My Colt revolvers and US rifles were purchased because for this reason.

2. I determine that it provides a capability that I think I need and is what I would consider most suitable to the task for the price I'm willing to pay.

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Like others-COH.:D
    Handguns, I like classics. Blue or stainless revolvers, military, or just funky stuff.
    My edc is a Sig 9mm, but I'm all over the place with handguns.

Rifles, lever actions and bolt actions. They must be wood. Not much into plastic rifles.

Some I wish I had back are
    1875 Remington revolver
    Walther PPK import
    S&W Model 39
    Browning reissue of the 1895 Winchester rile in 30-40 Krag.
    94 Winchester Ranger

Some I'd like to have, just because
    Wolverene 22
    Spas 12 gauge
    Colt Delta Elite
    Ruger 1911
    Hammered Coach Gun
    CZ Rami
    Weatherby Mark V wood, of course

19. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Since the needs are pretty much covered I have to say it is mostly impulse. Lever guns, Ruger revolvers and 1911's are always on the shopping list. Also I see another AR in my future. Just can't decide if I want to build or buy .

20. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

Have a specific purpose in mind.

platform

function or form?
    Both must fit my plan

Never from a magazine - Some from forum discussions ideas

Usually purpose - But a Pre-64 M70 Win has been known to light up my spontaneity

Logic except for the Pre-64s