the AK-47

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by 1911_monster, Dec 10, 2011.

1. 1911_monster

1911_monster New Member

How does an ak-47 hold up in a hunting or at the fireing range? How do you think it would hold up in home defence??

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It is built like a tank, so it holds up just fine. Accuracy for hunting, not really. It was designed for minute of man, not moa. The AK74 is much more accurate. In a semi auto a Russian SKS will beat it hands down for accuracy.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

The AK is one tough son of a gun. One of the toughest ya can get.

4. 1911_monster

1911_monster New Member

Oh okay. Cool. Thanks for the help

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

the AK47 was simply designed to be tough as hell, easy to maintain and to throw down a wall of lead, I agree with jpattersonnh that the SKS or AK74 would be a lot better for hunting and what not. The biggest problem I've ever had with an SKS is finding a solid way to mount a scope, SKS is tough, reliable, if your looking for the high capacity they make 30 round mags for the SKS fires the same round as the AK47 and plus you could always just keep the 10 round mag and use stripper clips for it.

6. 1911_monster

1911_monster New Member

How is the AK 47 less accurate than the SKS when they both shoot the same round?

7. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Is not all in the bullet when it comes to accuracy, you gotta put a lot other things in the equation like barrel length, the twist in the rifleing, and other things like that
    So even if their the same caliber they won't perform the same ( for example a bolt action rifle with a heavy barrel will always be more accurate than a semiauto rifle with a shorter lighter barrel)

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The AK 47 is designed to have fairly loose tolerances, which is what makes it so reliable. One thing that can affect the accuracy is if the front sight is canted to the left or right and needs to be adjusted. About the only thing that can heavily affect the reliability of the AK 47 is for some variants like the WASRs, the magazines can have a lot of wobble in them meaning they might not feed correctly or be unreliable.

9. 1911_monster

1911_monster New Member

Oh okay I got it. Because I was told a lot of accuracy comes from the type of round the gun takes

10. jpattersonnh

With the loose tolerances of the AK47, it is not that accurate. Couple that with a 200 meter effective sight range and a short sight radius you still have an effective 200 meter gun that will suppress an area. The AK74 is more accurate, even though it also has a short sight radius. It is much tighter and the round carries well over distance. For hunting the 7.62x39 makes a great 100 yard round. The 74's 5.45x39 is a great varmint round out to 300 yards, but the AK's limit it to 150 or so w/ available mounting systems. I use mine for coyotes w/ a red dot for under 100 yards in low light. It is also good for wood chucks out to 150 yards. A large scope would take away its' biggest plus, fast target acquisition and fast follow up. There are 5 round .223 AK mags avalible that actually use the same follower as the 5.45, but only hold 4 because the round is fatter.

Hunting mode:
    [​IMG]
    Lead spitting mode.
    [​IMG]

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

As far as hunting, should make a fine brush gun for shots at 100 yards or less. Make sure you know the local game laws on milsurp ammo and so called "assault weapons" where hunting is concerned. Some states also have magazine restrictions.

12. 1911_monster

1911_monster New Member

Oh okay I got it. Thank you for that. Now as far as a wild bore round would go would the 7.62x39 round bullet still be as effective?? And would you recommend the 200 meter sight range??

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

the problem with the 7.62x39 is there just arent very good bullets designed for hunting deer sized game. its a similar issue the 5.56 has. the ak round is like a underpowered 30-30 at best when it comes to deer hunting.

you can do it but i rank it on the same ethical level as using a 223/556.

home defense good round but your going to have sever overpenetration issues. especially with commonly available surplus ammo. most of it has steel cores.

accuracy is good enough for deer at or under 100yards. anything beyound you have a real risk of wounding instead of humane kills. there are a few softpoints available.

close range hogging it should be ok. but again you dont want to use fmj. hog bones are a lot tougher than deer and the poor selection of softpoints may come back to haunt you.

ak47s excel at ohsht here come the zombies and blasting cheap ammo off at the range but its not a terribly good hunting round.

just my opinion

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Its not necessarily the contour of the barrel that matters in accuracy, its the consistency in the barrel. I know sporter barreled rifles that shoot just as well if not better than bull barrels. This was apparent when I did a lot of rimfire stuff with 4-H. I tested several 10/22s with sporter contour barrels against a rested bull-barrel Savage rimfire bolt-action rifle and a sporter contour barrel Marlin 15Y bolt action. All with the same ammo and several of the sporter barrels were getting as good of groups as the bolt actions were.

Dont let the barrel companies take you for a ride and convince you that you NEED a bull barrel to get good accuracy. I'll admit that during sustained shooting the bull barrel may perform better accuracy on say the 50th shot than the sporter barrel might, but a lot of the time thats hardly the case in a hunting scenario like the OP mentioned.

The AK can be a decent hunting set-up, especially with the Horndady SST bullet, which would be your cheapest option. The other more expensive option would be to tailor a bullet to the likings of your AK for hunting by handloading. Unfortunately for the 7.62x39 it is more expensive to handload than buy new rounds, however finding decent hunting bullets to use isnt impossible since the 303 British bullets can be found in or fairly close to the same diameter bullet as the AK-47 round (.311' generally speaking). Using the 303s in handloading makes for the pretty good ammo from what I've seen.

15. jpattersonnh

The problem w/ using .311 .303. 7.7, 7.62 bullets is the weight. The 7.62x39 does well w/ 121..127gr. The best for busting pigs would be a standard JHP. You can buy more expensive ammo, and gain nothing. Bullet expansion may be close to 0, but it will penetrate bone and pass through.

16. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

What type is yours? I want to purchase an AK-47, but hear so much about certain ones not to get.

Jimmy

17. coba29

coba29 New Member

Wasr 10/63 ? I have one they are great

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Your AK will hold up a potload better than your intended target.

Great for not terribly accurate plinking, HD, and SHTF.

Want accuracy in 7.62 x39? Get an SKS.

19. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i got both.. and my ak is as accurate as my sks. just as loose for the internals as well. what everyone for got is that the ak-47 one of the most used for hunting in the world. not the u.s. and that is mostly out of necessity but still true. the ak-47 was made to hit a human size target up to 300 meters and thats it. i wouldnt take a shot at a deer over 100 yards or so as to make sure that i hit the animal clean. the ak is no tack driver that is for sure but still pretty good and as with many other rifles you may have to employ a little kentucky windage. last Mikel himself was not a fan of the 5.45x39mm (ak-74). if you didnt know.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You're AK is more accurate-lucky you.

My SKS is more accurate-lucky me.