The ACR gets a face lift

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by indyfan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Bushmaster should have never gotten the ACR in the first place

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I want that spring loaded folding charging handle on my ar...

4. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

I just want the rifle lol

The charging handle is a nice addition though, I think Remington did a good job on it personally.

5. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm glad they went with the slimmer AR-15 style grip, now it gives you more options.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

so its a M4 carbine painted brown. another waste of taxpayer money when the M4 does the job just fine

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

It's a little more than an M4 painted brown...

But I wish they'd change the caliber, but then again, NATO would have to change....

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

it shoots a 5.56 in semi full or burst depending on how its set. the m4 does the same thing. weight is similar. size is similar. function is similar. the only difference is the m4 is cheaper and already in inventory with a large spare parts inventory.

senators cant pick the people's pockets as easily unless they are buying an unneeded weapon system. thats the real difference. lots of corporate campaign donations at stake for them. they get a LOT of lobbyist perks and gifts for holding these "trials".

it may be a cool neato rifle but at the heart it is not a fundamental change in technology or platform to warrant replacing our current service rifle.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And at the end of the day it's BM

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I sure hope the ACR and whole IC program fail. What an incredible waste of money it would be for such minor "upgrades". Put that money toward salary increases and more training for our troops instead.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I actually disagree w/ you on this one, although ever so slightly.

I think these programs could be slim-lineded but do help push/encourage progress.

The COLT is a fine weapon and I can't really recall ever having any problems w/ it but being static is a bad thing. It's one of those "a active body stays active" thing. Id rather swim in a river than a staggnant pond.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

^^THIS^^

Tack

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

True, progress and better design are good but what I fear is an incredible expenditure to scrap a working rifle for a slightly upgraded design. That should be done only when something clearly superior at a comparable price is placed on the table. That's been a very difficult target to hit so far.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I agree. Maybe there's some secret extraordinary new small arms system they are on the verge of introducing but I haven't seen anything worth migrating away from the M4/M16.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Funny, I thought the original ACR was a face-lift...

Sooo, it's a face-lift getting a face-lift?

Phyllis Diller would be sooo jealous...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Why does the phrase lipstick on a pig come to mind? :p

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well they developed phasers by the year of Star Trek so I'm guessing the M4 finally got replaced along the line! :D

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

lol. I think they should be replaced w/ playing cards.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Kind of like the killer clown deck in Dawn of Sorrow?