The $500 question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Pjj342, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

So, lets say each of you who reads this has only $500. What currently sold ak or ak varient would you pick? Basing your opinion on the best one you can get for that amount of money.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

$500? I have been drooling over the chromed Draco AK-type pistol on Classicarms.us for a while now; it is about that much but is not what most people are looking for.

For $500, i would get the WASR, like my shooting buddy has, and some ammo.

3. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I saw that. Its cool lookin. Its the one that says "bad MFer" on it.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Saiga 308

I have to go with what is allowed here behind the iron curtain.

Attached Files:

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I had that issue come up at a gun show. I bought a M70. I don't care for the plastic furniture but found a set of wood ones at Apex and plan to refinish them and put them on he rifle. :)

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a bunch of AK's, and like my 7.62x39 Saiga the best by far. The next AK for me is a Saiga in .308 (Like Jo, but I'll go synthetic and 16").

7. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Screw the AK, Buy a .308 CETME from Centerfire

8. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

ya

I think saiga is gonna be it. I checked out the 308 cetme and its real nice too. I shoot alot and 7.62 39 is way cheaper to feed.

9. billdeserthills

CETME 20rd mags are Cheap & plentiful. I actually got a pile of them used as packing material from Centerfire one time. I have seen them selling for $1-$2 each...

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If I didn't have an AK, I'd do like orangello said and get the WASR-10/63 and ammo. But since I have one, I'd get the Century AK-74 and some ammo. :D

11. WaywardAce

WaywardAce New Member

A Century Arms GP 1975. It's about $30 more than the WASR and better made IMO.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm gonna go with another Century build, mainly because if there's a problem, it is easy to troubleshoot, plus until I get a bad one, or even see a bad one for that matter, I gotta trust Century.

13. billdeserthills

Plus this model has synthetic furniture, instead of non-matching ugly wood

14. SouthernExpat870

SouthernExpat870 New Member

WASR ups and downs

I was in a similar position and went with a WASR. I still love the gun, but I think you get what you pay for. I thought I had thoroughly inspected the weapon, even bringing my Marine buddy who I thought was my "AK expert" due to his experience with the weapon in Iraq. His advice was "buyitnowbuyitnow" and honestly I don't regret it. Things were all good until I slapped on some tac rails with a new dustcover. The rifle was twisted. You couldn't tell with the original dust cover. Just be aware that you might run into issues with the production. Gun has never failed on me after the 500 plus rounds we put through it.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've heard of things like that happening, quite frequently actually. The folks that make (and even re-make) AKs, lack the precision equipment and training that most domestic and quality oriented foreign armories have.

Apparantly though, as you said that your rifle has never failed, it is not needed when assembling rifles of the AK platform.

Now I want another AK. . .