Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of new cartridges in the 6mm range to 6.8 mm range.
The .243 is a hot rod itself.
I don't own one but if I find a good deal on an older quality rifle it's mine,subject to approval of the book keeper and CEO...the wife or...not.
Anyone done any comparisons with the new cartridges and any real reason to buy one instead of a.243?
A warmer reload in a 26 in barrel would seem to offer the better idea.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are a lot of new cartridges in the 6mm range to 6.8 mm range.
The .243 is a hot rod itself.
I don't own one but if I find a good deal on an older quality rifle it's mine,subject to approval of the book keeper and CEO...the wife or...not.
Anyone done any comparisons with the new cartridges and any real reason to buy one instead of a.243?
A warmer reload in a 26 in barrel would seem to offer the better idea.
BLUF a 243 in a bolt rifle and 6.8 in an AR are good combinations. I’ve tried the other way around and they work okay, just not the best. As a cartridge, the 243 is plenty for most purposes in the continental US, I’ve even witnessed a youth hunter down an elk with it which highlights its capability. If you get an “older” rifle, be mindful of the twist rate. Some would argue that a CZ 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel or a Windham chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor is the absolute bees knees, and they’re not wrong if they like it. Newer cartridges don’t mean better. There are many “long range” shooters out there, but most only own “long range” gear. Get your 243 and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I've had one good rifle in .243 or "better" in terms of caliber. Though, I've shot many different calibers over the years, in a variety of rifles, including hunting with the .243.

Don't currently have the Remington 700 .243 w/ 26" heavy varmint barrel that I once owned, but it was sweet. Ballistics in the 95gr HPBT would retain about 1100 ft-lbf of energy out to 400yds, though it was accurate to much greater distances. (Rem 700 .243 SPS Varmint, 26" heavy varmint bbl, custom composite stock, Jewell trigger, and modest scope. Approaching 1/2 inch accuracy at 300yds, if I did my part.)

As for some of the newer crop of calibers ...

If I were going after a rifle that required more energy than that to ~400yds, I'd likely go with the 6.5mm Creedmoor, myself. Longer, heavier bullet, with ~1500 ft-lbf force (in 140gr) at that same distance. If hunting, I'd prefer that greater "punch" the 6.5mm could deliver, over the .243.

If needing much greater distances, such as for target shooting, again I'd rather have the 6.5mm Creedmoor. Can't say much more than that, beyond a review of the comparative ballistics, but with the right barrel twist and weight of bullet the 6.5mm will be accurate out to 1000yds. Have a buddy that shoots the 6.5 regularly, though I myself haven't owned one in this caliber nor hunted with it.

As some have suggested, the .270 is a darned good cartridge. As is the 7mm Magnum, if you need that much speed and terminal ballistics. Within 400yds or so, the .243's a capable performer. Within 200yds, I'd be happy with it as a very accurate, flat-shooting hunting round that'll take most all game in North America (aside from reliable taking of moose and grizzly at distance).

Plenty of good rifles out there in the .243 caliber, along with many good factory cartridges. About as inexpensive as a harder-hitting, flatter-shooting rifle caliber can get, for sub-400yd hunting, and fairly tolerable at distances well beyond that for target shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Got one in an H&R Handi-rifle for predators and varmints- great little gun. It’s a hair light for the larger size deer we got up here, but it’s generally a great cartridge for medium game. I’d say this- if you’re looking for a flat shooter with low recoil, .243 is definitely great, and I’ll give the 6.5 creedmore it’s due also. I guess you’d have to say what you plan on using it for, as an all around varmint to medium game gun, it’s a great choice.

·
Administrator
26,131 Posts
In Virginia, white tailed deer are a lot smaller than western muleys, and we don't tend to have 500 yard shots. I have my dad's Grade 2 BAR in .243, with one of the older Wide View scopes (lens looks like a TV screen). With 100 grain soft points, that rifle has taken enough deer to fill the bed of a small truck. A dump truck. Never saw the old man have to fire more than 1 round per deer. DRT.

Off the bench, it will group 5 rounds in just under an inch, Never had an auto with a 2 piece stock that would do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In Virginia, white tailed deer are a lot smaller than western muleys, and we don't tend to have 500 yard shots. I have my dad's Grade 2 BAR in .243, with one of the older Wide View scopes (lens looks like a TV screen). With 100 grain soft points, that rifle has taken enough deer to fill the bed of a small truck. A dump truck. Never saw the old man have to fire more than 1 round per deer. DRT.

Off the bench, it will group 5 rounds in just under an inch, Never had an auto with a 2 piece stock that would do that.
That’s one very nice rifle, I’m sure you treasure it given where it came from. The 243 is an excellent deer cartridge, no doubt.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Would agree with everything said so far. The truth is, if you're looking for a hunting caliber and aren't pursuing big game (grizzly, moose, etc), or looking for 600, 700+ yard shots on prongies, the .243 is probably the closest thing to the perfect caliber you'll find anywhere. It'll reach out sufficiently, it has enough oomph, and it doesn't punish you on the back end.

With that said, does a 6.5 Creed reach further with more authority, yes, but do you need that? Will the new 6.8 Western outdo the Creed, yes, but again, do you need it's capabilities?

Realistically, we have had a general spread of cartridges for decades that will do anything in the shooting realm that needs to be done, but if manufacturers don't make new cartridges, gun makers don't make new guns for them and the entire industry doesn't make money and everything gets stagnant. Along with that we get trends, like the relatively new rage over long bullets and extreme long range shooting. It's not that long range shooting hasn't been around, but it seems like that's sort of a common theme these days with new bullets and new cartridges.

Every once in a while a new cartridge comes out that fills a niche or makes sense for some aspect of firearms. I'm personally thrilled with the new 350 Legend. I think it makes sense for what it was designed for as there was a bit of a gap between pistol cartridges and the heavier thumping straight wall rounds, like 450BM, etc, in the states requiring that for hunting. I'm thrilled because it's my personal opinion that the 350 Legend in an AR platform makes an excellent defense set up, especially in CQB situations. We have the AR platform to thank for a lot of the relatively new cartridges too. The aim, of course, to get equivalent ballistics of other cartridges too long to fit that platform. Sometimes, it seems that a manufacturer just throws out a new cartridge for the sake of a new cartridge.

The never ending debate on "stopping power" will forever drive the industry. It does, however, seem that calibers that begin with a "6" are having their moment in the limelight for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't hand load, and of course now isn't the time to try to start seeing as how there isn't any equipment or components available... but I did figure out that my .243 (Remington 700 in a Magpul Hunter stock) likes the 95 gr Dear Season XP from Winchester. Now if only I could find a place with about 500 or so of them in stock... (that wasn't $180 or more a round)

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I started loading 243 cause I could never find 107 gr cartridges. The bullets were readily available. The 243 is an excellent cartridge along with the 308 and 7mm/08 . Between those 3 they cover a lot of ground.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah, now is definitely a bad time to try to get into the reloading game for sure. Fortunately I had all the hardware, it's just an issue of finding components. It took me a week or so of shaking my head, moaning, and being distraught while looking on the intrerwebs, so I mapped out all the local gun shops, planned an efficient route for getting to them and headed out in the truck. I started with zero components except for a handful of brass in 243, 22-250, and 9mm. Within a couple days, I now have 3500 primers, 2 lbs of powder, 400-ish bullets, and a bit more brass. Along the way, I also acquired a new AR-15 in 350 Legend (because the ammo is available and wife said I could), so I also have close to a full "combat load" of 350L ammo as well. We're planning to head over tomorrow to look at a carry pistol for the wife (she's supposed to go over and get her permit today). So, I still need to find some small rifle primers (to reload the 350L), some pistol primers, bullets, and powder suitable for those calibers. A few more pounds of suitable powder for the 243 and 22-250 would be good too.

It's not impossible to find, it's just not easy and might take a little of your time to go hunt it down. Also too, many of the shops are limiting you to what you can buy at one time, so repeat trips are needed to amass any appreciable stuff. There are a few places in reasonable drive I haven't hit yet, so I might just go get in the truck today and go see what I can find.

·
Supporting Member
11,973 Posts
Tinbucket,
The little 243 Winchester round is a great round.
After I go out of the Army and got a job on the Metro PD SWAT Observer/Sniper Unit later on. My first Sniper Rifle was a customized SAKO Bull Barrel Forester with a glass bedded McMillan Stock. I took it to Quantico to a Sniper School and used it for years. Being one of the PDs Armorers I built the Rifle up prior to going to the school. But I have it even today and it still is very very accurate! Also has a Leupold Tactical Scope on it.
82361 Sako Sniper.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts