The 1927 Colt is Finally Home!

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by CA357, Jun 25, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't believe it. My phone rang earlier today and it was the gunsmith. The pistol was done and when did I want to pick it up? I took off work an hour early and got there in record time. It was at the shop for about four and a half months. I was mildly excited.

The project morphed a bit due to necessity, but I now have a fifty year old Argentine Colt that was rebuilt to my exact specifications. I also put as much money into this project as I could have spent on a nice Kimber or Dan Wesson.

To recap; the project started with a rather thrashed 1927 Sistema Colt that was stamped with the Santa Fe, Argentina police department rollmark.

I purchased the like new innards of a 1970 seventy series Colt to use for replacement parts. As things progressed, none of those parts were used. The barrel hood also proved to be just a touch too short as well.

Here's a list of the changes and parts:

Kart Nat'l Match barrel
    Greider Precision match trigger
    Ed Brown extended safety
    Ed Brown slide release
    Ed Brown mag release
    Ed Brown memory groove beavertail safety
    Wilson Combat low profile/non snag three dot sights
    Wolff Springs
    Checkered flat mainspring housing
    Lowered and flared ejection port
    Trigger job
    Reblued to matte blue
    Herretts double diamond cocobolo grips

Here's some pics. There's several more pics down below in post #8.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

3. CA357

I had to get them uploaded. They're up there now. :D

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Looks great.

What range do we meet at?:D

5. CA357

Come on up to the Sacramento Valley Shooting Club on Saturday morning and you can shoot it. :cool:

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

No time for a road trip this Sat. But someday it would be great for all us CA refugees to get together for a shooting weekend.

7. CA357

I'm in. Although I hope and pray to be in Oregon before Christmas.

8. CA357

Here's a few more pics a bit closer. My photography skills are atrocious, but I tried to show the workmanship. The beavertail is a perfect fit. I also tried to show the color better. It's a matte blue. It looks a bit like parkerizing but with a matte finish as opposed to flat and it has a subtle blue color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Stealie

Stealie New Member

A beautiful 1911. Congrats.

10. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

Great job, one beautiful Colt...

11. CA357

Thanks. The pistol was manufactured in 1959. It's younger than I am...:p

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Looking forward to a range report.

13. opaww

opaww New Member

Thats a dam nice looking 1911

14. CA357

Thank you gents. We''ll see how it shoots tomorrow. It's pretty much going to be like breaking in a new pistol.

I also pick up my Beretta Cougar 8045 today. It's ten days now and I can finally get it out of gun jail.

So, it's .45ACP day at the range tomorrow. Range reports and photos forthcoming. :cool:

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've been promised they are getting 45 ammo at the GS today. They did have some 223 and I got 100, so I'll take the AR out tomorrow. Sure hope I can bring the SW also.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

She turned out great! Pics look great, so in person she must really "Wow". Please post a range report after your trip to break her in.

17. CA357

I took it to the range this morning. It shot great, but then I couldn't keep it tight anymore. The rear sight had come loose and was drifting side to side. So I borrowed an Allen key and centered then re-tightened it. It worked loose again very quickly. Tightened it a second time and same thing happened.

So, I'll remove it, dimple the slide and Loctite the set screw. Expect a report when I can actually have a range session with it.

It fed everything pretty well, but there were several FTF's & FTE's. And when the sight was tight, it was pretty darn accurate.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Fairly typical for a new/re-freshed firearm. All look to be minor and fixable.

Check your extractor pressure. Is the extractor new?

She just needs to be exercised. And is hungry for a regular feeding! [​IMG]

19. CA357

Yeah, all things considered I'm very happy. It's like breaking in a new pistol. After all, it's a fifty year old frame and slide with a heart transplant. ;)

I haven't had it apart yet. I have to find a bushing wrench, the bushing's so tight. I don't know if there's a new extractor or not. I believe there is. I'll take it apart later and clean and lube it up. I'll also take care of the rear sight while I'm at it.

BTW, the slide to frame fit is excellent. I was able to hand pick this pistol, so I picked one that was tight, but it's been refitted really well. :)

20. CA357

I had it out to the range last week and unbelievably the front sight worked loose. :eek: So I epoxied it (JB Weld) and I'm heading out with it in the morning.

I also polished the feedramp. It was blued along with the rest of the pistol and the nose of the bullets were just meeting too much friction to feed dependably. So, after that, there were no FTF's or FTE's last week.

I also must note that I doubled a half dozen times, the trigger is that light. I really have to get used to this pistol.

Now I just want to make sure that the sights stay put and to check the function of the mags I have for it. The two Kimber and one Novak mag that I already had work fine, but I picked up two new 8rd. CMC Power mags and two used 7rd. Wilson Combat mags that need to be tested.

I hope to post a full range report afterward. My wife has a medical evaluation in the afternoon, so I may not get the report up until Sunday.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009