The 1911 trap

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NGIB, Mar 15, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

On my local GA forum today are 2 adds in the swap & sell section for basic 1911s with a bunch of stuff hung on them. No mention of what gunsmith did the parts fitting so I'll assume the work was done on the kitchen table (that's where I do mine). They are asking prices high enough to recoup their investment and it's doubtful they'll get anywhere close to what they have invested. Anyway, thought I'd post something I posted on my local forum which gives an insight in my 1911 adventures from the early days.

Now, if you're building one for yourself and have no intention of selling - have fun...

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm actually throwing a few $$$ at the RIA I got last week - but I know it will still be just an RIA. The trigger had some slop so I tried all the different triggers I had in my parts box and none fixed the issue. I suspect the trigger "channels" in the frame are slightly oversized so I ordered a trigger with an adjustable bow. While I have it apart, I'm going to fit a Commander style hammer and reshape the factory grip safety for clearance.

It's fun to tinker but you have to realize that the value added is for yourself alone...

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thought this old one deserved a bump...

5. Sarge43

Sarge43 New Member

You mean that I'll never get my money back out of the BeastBob? :eek::D
    Don't care, that's one that my grandkids will have when I get around to having grandkids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yup, that's the truth for sure. I've had the basic and I've had the better. The better is better. ;)

I know that my old Sistema will always be only a Sistema, but I knew that going in. So, no harm, no foul. However, it's my default handgun and it's tailored for me. ;)

[​IMG]

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The only point I was trying to make is that you CANNOT turn a Rock Island into a Nighthawk - no matter how much $$$ you invest. If you intend to keep it - great but don't ever expect to sell it for more than a new Rock Island Tactical.

And Sarge, I don't think your gun really fits the topic...:D

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't think a custom DW fits the criteria either. :p

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I got these lime green grips from Scubie - I think I fell into the trap and landed on my head. They are really comfortable though...

Attached Files:

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No but I think it would fit my hand just right Sarge!

There is no value to an heirloom, just ask me what I want for Dad's Ithaca M1911A1.

Canebrake Defender-----$1500

J.P. Sauer & Sohn 20ga side by side-------$10K

Ithaca 1943 M1911A1-------Priceless!

11. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Seeing that gorgeous Ithaca made me sick! I had a very nice original example and traded it away for "i can't remember what" plus some cash. Man, what a dumb A$$.
    Gorgeous pair of 1911s, Cane.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010