The 10/22 Spencer Rifle Project

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by TINCANBANDIT, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I saw this cool "tribute" gun on another forum I thought I would enjoy attempting to build one of these myself.

[​IMG]

so the idea is to recreate the look of the cavalry carbines of the late 19th century

The Spencer

[​IMG]

The Sharps

[​IMG]

The Springfield Trapdoor

[​IMG]

Key elements:
    semi-crescent butt plate - Ruger 10/22 already has
    short barrel - ditto
    barrel band - ditto
    straight grip - we can modify
    tapered forend - we can modify
    saddle ring - we will add
    slings - we will add

2. TINCANBANDIT

So I began searching for an affordable 10/22

didn't take long and I was able to score a 2013 vintage 10/22 for a very reasonable price, and it came with an extra stock!

[​IMG]

stay tuned, in the coming weeks I will post updates as I go along

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I rather like straight grip stocks. My Rem 870 came with a straight grip or English stock.

4. TINCANBANDIT

The first step is collecting the necessary parts. I have the gun and the stock (which is made of either maple or birch)

I found this set of slings from a Enfield No.1 Mk3, I'll modify the front one to fit the Rugers barrel band and the rear will get inletted into the butt stock

[​IMG]

I bought this handmade 1" leather sling on ebay.

[​IMG]

I didn't care for the sliver Chicago bolts, so I bought some brass ones

[​IMG]

5. TINCANBANDIT

I was planning on building a custom saddle ring, but I was lucky enough to pick up this one from a Krag-Jorgensen Carbine

[​IMG]

I went shopping on the Bolt Depot and picked up some oval head screws for the butt plate, saddle ring and rear sling

[​IMG]

I also found this rear sight, I think it's from a Winchester .22 (model 67??)

[​IMG]

The guy who inspired this build installed an extended mag release, because it sort of resembles the lever used to open the action of some of the old carbines, so I got one too

[​IMG]

6. TINCANBANDIT

I decided to use this stock for this project, it was the ugliest of the 5 that I had collected.

Notice the splotchy finish, both birch & maple are notorious for resisting stain (which will make refinishing a challenge).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the butt plate (to prevent it from getting scratched) and mounted the stock in my vice. Time to start making saw dust

The first task is to remove the pistol grip with a wood saw

[​IMG]

7. TINCANBANDIT

Using a straight edge we can see that we have a lot of material to remove.

[​IMG]

We'll need to remove some from the sides as well

[​IMG]

progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TINCANBANDIT

After much rasping, filing and sanding we have it close, the tape is for the modification to the fore end

[​IMG]

I then cut flutes in the front of the comb, I may remove a little more material in front of the comb to accentuate it more

[​IMG]

9. Holmes375

Holmes375 Member

Interesting build. I'll enjoy watching this one. Kudos to ya.

10. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

I'm subed to it really cool.

Sent from my iPad in Iowa using Firearms Talk

11. TINCANBANDIT

Following Hipshot's instructions I start on the fore end by marking a line and then cutting the line in with a fine tooth saw

[​IMG]

I then start rasping, filing and sanding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final cut is made with a wood chisel

[​IMG]

Almost fits perfect, we'll clean it up a bit more and then taper the end considerably

[​IMG]

12. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Interesting project. I've thought about turning one of the 28" green mountain octagon barrels into a "kentucky squirrel rifle". 22 mag on a razor magnum reciever with a bunch of dixie gunworks brass fitting and a tigered full length stock. It would look pretty similar to the 36 cal originals. Just too much denero for another 22, $700+ to do it right...

Watching your project with interest. Just a suggestion get a steel mag release and cut it off flush. Silver solder on a brass or steel knuckle bow for the look your after. I was going to do this with a brass trigger bow on my build. Cut off the stock 10/22 trigger guard entirely flush. Just leave the nub with the safety.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  13. TINCANBANDIT

Now we mark a line to start changing the taper to the rear of the barrel band

[​IMG]

Some rough guidelines, don't worry, I am not removing all of the material outside of the lines, I am just using the lines to remind me not to remove too much inside the lines.

[​IMG]

I started with the rasp

[​IMG]

14. TINCANBANDIT

Then went to the file

[​IMG]

Then I started on the nose, I drew a line and began tapering the fore tip

[​IMG]

but I forgot I wanted to shorten it, so I cut 1" off the end and trued it up with my disc sander

[​IMG]

15. TINCANBANDIT

Then I worked the nose, tapering it and rounding the edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TINCANBANDIT

Here is a picture of the stock next to an unmodified one, it appears to be a lot shorter, even though we only removed 1 inch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Holmes375

Holmes375 Member

Lookin' good - nice work.

18. TINCANBANDIT

The brass screw heads were a little bigger that the factory butt stock screws, so I opened up the holes a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TINCANBANDIT

Time to start with the more difficult task, inletting is a skill I want to master, so this is a good opportunity to get some practice.

I trace the outline with a sharpie

[​IMG]

Then I start removing wood. I am using an Exacto knife tool, I thought it would be easier to be precise with this. I will remove the material well inside the line, then fit the saddle ring plate

[​IMG]

almost there

[​IMG]

pretty much done, I'll clean up the channel and edges a bit, but it fits flush on the back end and looks at home

[​IMG]

20. TINCANBANDIT

I then followed suit with the sling swivel

[​IMG]

almost there

[​IMG]

done

[​IMG]

next step is to clean up the edges and drill the holes for the screws