Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several days of pounding wiinds , freezing rains and several inches of snow , I got a phone call from my neighbor Carl . Black ice , got him off the road and in a ditch .

I stepped out and there was seven inches of snow then solid ice . I really didn't know if I was able to get out of my own drive . Fired up the Sub-tank , let it warm up a few minutes and pulled out of my garage . Backed out put in drive , hmm.... ! Not one slip , that would not of happened in my old truck . I did a week ago get my new Michelin Cross Climate tires and off I go . Everything around me is solid ice and snow .

Trying to keep the most of the car on snow , I finally got to Carl . Not too bad in the ditch , just enough to keep the two right side tires from biting in .

I have with me 150 ft 3/4 rope , some straps and two heavy duty pulleys . Good thing the rope was long enough to find enough solid ground to do any pulling . Five minutes later we are both on our way . I really like Carl , best guy a man could befriend !

And the little Suburu , it's really is growing on me !

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
"Love, it's ..." Er, "Ditch diggin'," if not stump pullin', it's what makes a Subaru.

Got to love a winter tank. Had one years ago, though it was a sedan: a VW Passat and the 4Motion AWD system, which with serious ice+snow tires wasn't stopped by any sort of winter weather. Had a trailer hitch, but no winch on the thing; still, it was able to pull out a couple of lighter cars from sticky situations.

So, those CrossClimate tires are working well in the wintry stuff, it looks like.

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Love, it's ..." Er, "Ditch diggin'," if not stump pullin', it's what makes a Subaru.

Got to love a winter tank. Had one years ago, though it was a sedan: a VW Passat and the 4Motion AWD system, which with serious ice+snow tires wasn't stopped by any sort of winter weather. Had a trailer hitch, but no winch on the thing; still, it was able to pull out a couple of lighter cars from sticky situations.

So, those CrossClimate tires are working well in the wintry stuff, it looks like.
I've been driving on snow for decades and I've never had 4WD nothing before , can't believe the difference . I should have done this year's ago !

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I've had AWD for the most part, for decades, with a couple of cars that weren't.

In my experience, FWIW --- The bump in grip you get from a basic set of all-season M&S-rated tires versus an AWD car with those same tires? You'll likely find yet another, similar, bump up in grip and safety when you take that same AWD vehicle and put serious ice+snow, 3-peak severe-winter rated tires, better still if they're all-terrain capable.

You've probably made the greatest jump. But I think you'd be impressed again, if you ever choose to do a second set of tires for the winter months.

Good to hear your neighborhood "street cred" just went up a notch or two, with the "towing." You da man. This week, at least.

I've also driven a couple of nearby neighbors into town for errands, who don't have AWD vehicles. Looks like we're heading into a bit of warmer weather, so the remaining ice and snow will almost certainly disappear soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a friend (avid hunter ) who replied when asked about 4 whd replied "all its' good for is getting you stuck farther back in the woods".

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
I’m glad you are seeing how awesome a Subaru is. They are incredible vehicles. Enjoy.

Reactions: buckhuntr

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Here you go, @dango , for when you start "itching" for climbing those hills straight up:

... or find yourself having to cope with too much ice to tolerate:

:D

click
click

·
Supporting Member
11,988 Posts
Hey DANGO
Lets see some pictures of the TANK! It deserves the recognition!
Thanks for the Tire information. I will check into them next time we need some tires! Seems like they work very well!

Reactions: dango

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey DANGO
Lets see some pictures of the TANK! It deserves the recognition!
Thanks for the Tire information. I will check into them next time we need some tires! Seems like they work very well!

Those tires are the MICHELIN 225/55R17 CROSS CLIMATE+ . They do have the three mountain top logo stamp on them . i'm ready to climb the tree in my back yard , LOL

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Me and Mrs Buckhunter are trading our 2015 Outback for a 2018 Forester. Already put down a deposit to hold it until they get some hail dents pulled out. Only 31k miles. I can't wait, the Forester is much more comfortable for me to drive than the outback, even though she'll be driving it most of the time. I can envision a time down the road when we're both retired and my Parkinson's progresses to the point i can no longer drive (a long way out, i hope) that the Subaru will be our only vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Those tires are the MICHELIN 225/55R17 CROSS CLIMATE+ . They do have the three mountain top logo stamp on them . i'm ready to climb the tree in my back yard , LOL
Yeah, well, with as much ice and snow as we've been having (a lot for around my neck o' the woods), it's a wonder I've not been climbing the trees. But that's an entirely different discussion.

Glad those CrossClimate tires seem to be working out. (Better them than you. Climbing the trees, I mean. :giggle:)

Just saw one of those newer Subaru Ascent cars. A larger, familly-sized SUV a step up in size from the Forester. Another ~nine inches of wheelbase, a bit taller ground clearance, another 1100lbs, double the towing capacity, a third row of seats. The one I saw looked like it had oversized light-truck tires on the thing. Must have done an after-market custom wheel+tires job. Of course, the guy would have needed a full-sized ladder to get to the roofrack up on top; putting anything on that would have ripped the overhang off at the local Starbucks. Big and capable, about as large and aggressive looking as a hopped-up Jeep Grand Cherokee, from what I could tell. A veritable DangoMobile, for climbin' trees and hillsides in a single bound.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Me and Mrs Buckhunter are trading our 2015 Outback for a 2018 Forester. Already put down a deposit to hold it until they get some hail dents pulled out. Only 31k miles. I can't wait, the Forester is much more comfortable for me to drive than the outback ...
I feel much the same. The Forester has a bit more room, and there's something about the seating position that's more "right" than the Outback, somehow.

Back in the early 2000s, I test-drove (IIRC) a Legacy Outback 3.0 6cyl sedan. Very well-appointed, great power, fabulous AWD. Had over 100Kmi, but had full records from the original owner and every single thing that had been done to it. But they hadn't addressed the head gasket issues and a couple other things that vintage was known for. Wasn't in the stars (due the mileage and issues), but that one was fantastic. Great seating and quite comfortable and easy to drive. Took a long test-drive with the sales guy, on a very stormy night. With his blessing, I headed up into the hills to explore the grip and handing of the thing in inclement weather. I think he went a bit pale and short of breath, but I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
We got the Forester. Venetian Red Pearl. More comfortable than the Outback, and that big, big moon roof, oh my. Granted, there's only a few dozen days a year in Oklahoma with weather conditions suitable for driving with it open, but still... 😍

Reactions: dango
1 - 16 of 16 Posts