That cop SHOULDN'T shoot the dog :(

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by okdonk, Jul 3, 2013.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I heard about that. You have to sign in at Youtube to see the video.

I wouldn't want to be the person, officer or not, who shot my pet, legally or not.

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i saw it. its pretty terrible, but that is how killing an animals looks.

imo it was borderline. i think the cop shot too quick myself, but in his defense it was a very large and intimidating dog...a dog like that can seriously hurt someone very quickly and suddenly. in the defense of the dog, imo IF the dog was going to bite, he would have done it immediately. again, i think the action was too quick. they should have just used the owner to calm his dog...since he was not resisting, this would have made more sense imo. i do feel sorry for the owner, getting arrrested and having your dog capped is too much for one day imo.

however, if human injury or death is possible, i have NO PROBLEM with shooting aggressive dogs who go after humans. humans are humans, dogs are dogs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Man gets arrested for videotaping police. Police shoot dog. Nuff said

5. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That dog could have hurt the cop, but it would not have killed him. They're going to be in deep doodoo now. They had no need to arrest that guy. It's not illegal to film cops. There were at least 2 other people out there doing the same thing. If the cops followed the law and didn't get upset over something as small as being filmed they would have avoided the whole situation.

6. hmh

hmh New Member

If it was a justified arrest or detention I don't know. The shooting of the dog was justified. It did come after the officers and it is a dog not a person. I was trained if a dog handler goes down the next shot better be the dog.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Wow. Huh. Tough one to call. I would have to say that the outcome may hinge upon wether it was a justifiable arrest or not. If not, I bet the cops've had it.

A dog lover I am NOT. But, IMHO, Id have to side with the dog and the owner. He appeared to be doing nothing wrong. I wonder, though, what about the guy taping the guy from the beginning? 1st, why do you go somewhere where there is something going on, and tape someone who is taping the goings-on? And, the Cops appeared to totally ignore that guy.....he got good evidence.....

8. rurak

rurak New Member

I watched up to when the dog got out ...... I can't watch the rest .....

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The dog owner bears at least some of the credit for the dead dog. He went there knowing/hoping to have a confrontation with the police. He should have left his dog home. Not sticking up for the police but the guy was stupid(also). Then the police said they shot the dog to protect the dog's owner, what a stupid statement.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I saw the dog lunge towards the cop. The car window should have been rolled up so the dog couldn't get out. I CERTAINLY hope the cop shot that dog a second time to put it out of it's pain. That was not a clean kill.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

How do you know he went there hoping for a confrontation? It looked like he was just videoing the police to me. He was cooperative, and even put the dog in his car when the police were coming.

This was 100% avoidable by the police. The officers involved should lose their jobs.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I will not watch the video. If the guy was not interfering and just video recording an incident, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION IN ARRESTING HIM!!!!!!

We get a few knuckleheads that think recording is going to somehow show we did something wrong. Stupid person. OUR video is running, it will catch the behavior, good or bad.

In 29 years of LE, I have shot exactly ONE dog. I will go out of my way to NOT shoot a dog. I have seen some LEO's who were (perhaps) too eager to shoot dogs.

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Apparently the man had a prior lawsuit with the department,and had also harassed officers before. Didnt have volume up loud but It looks to me like he was taunting the officers,bystanders seemed to confirm this according to several sources.

Also,this was a armed home invasion/robbery call that had resulted in some type of standoff. The police apparently tried to wave him around the roadblock and told him to stop blaring his music while he was passing,he did neither... Instead he parked and got out of his vehicle to videotape the crime scene and shout at officers.

This man (from what it seems) got his own dog killed,I have no sympathy for him. I do feel bad the dog had to die,but if it had been me the dog probably wouldn't have gotten close to me the first time around. I do wish they would have put it down quicker than that and saved it some misery though.

14. winds-of-change

Robo, this dog jumped out an open car window when it's owner was getting handcuffed. The dog then lunged at one of the officers in a very aggressive manner. Everyone here knows how I really like my dogs but I feel the shooting of that dog might just have been justified. Now, I had no sound on that video. I'm not sure the handcuffing of the owner was justified. I don't think the man was videoing to show the officers were doing something wrong. It just looked like something big was going on and the guy was just trying to catch some action on video.

15. hawkguy

i think more people are upset about the dog than the arrest. idk why the guy was arrested?

again, i think it's borderline wrong/right. the dog was acting aggressively and could have injured someone seriously. that is enough justification to shoot a dog imo. BUT i do think it could have been handled in a better way though (like using the owner to calm the dog). i also wish the officer would have gone in for an immediate (and more humane) kill shot, but as an LEO, does he have the authority to do that? :confused: in most instances, it seems they only have the authority to stop, not make kill shots (even related to animals i would assume). of course, it would ahve been the humane thing to do. in the video, I want to rush up and provide the mercy kill.

personally, i love animals and treat them kindly all the time. but i have ZERO TOLERANCE for domesticated animals harming humans! especially if they have the potential to seriously harm or even kill.

16. hawkguy

and this a bit off topic, but every since i watched a news report on two rottweilers that stalked stalked, then attacked and killed two elementary kids, i tend to favor the side of caution when it comes to large, aggressive dogs.

i would rather see a million dogs shot than see one kid get ripped apart by a dog. and i'd rather see 100 dogs shot than see one tear up a police officer.

again, i love animals and pets. but i simply don't believe in tolerating a danger or threat from them.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Holy crap! The dog owner owns some responsibility?!?!?!! Rah! Rah!! Cheer the men in blue that cuffed as man that was a half a block away with a cell phone recording the cops. The man put his dog in the car because the two officers where coming toward him. Did he know he was going to be cuffed? I sure as hell would not. I'm a half a block away recording some cops doing...Whatever they where doing but the man had to reason to know he would even be detained, let alone cuffed. The dog did his job. His owner was being assaulted. Sorry kids but a badge does not allow you to assault someone for vid taping from more than a safe distance. There was no way he was even close enough to get audio unless they where screaming. THere was not even a reason to come talk to the dogs owner unless you wanted to get the guys laughing and recording from across the street form where the dog and his owner was as well.

I'm sorry there was no one to blame but law enforcement that went to enforce no law by cuffing a man that was at that distance. The dog did what a protective dog does. I wonder if the owner would have got a couple of rounds too if he went to reach in his car to roll the window up.

18. woody63m

woody63m New Member

It sounds like your stereotyping rotties as aggressive killing machines and I hope your are not I have two rotts and neither are mean if you were to come after me or my wife in an aggressive manner it would be the last thing you did cause they would F you up but that is any dog. Any dog will defend there owner to the death if they truly love them and that is all this dog in that video was doing was protecting his owner so don't call this dog mean or aggressive cause that is no nessacarly the case the dog was not at fault that dog was being a dog it is 100% the owners fault for putting himself and his dog in a compromising situation

19. winds-of-change

I fostered a Rott for a year. It was a very sweet dog and very good with my children.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm with DJ on this one...

I don't know what this guy did to draw LEO attention other that perhaps annoy them with his videotaping and some comments.

The notion that Cops have the authority to "detain" anyone they see fit without RAS is the root of the problem.

I've been paid to carry a gun and was taught to ignore ass hats looking to get a rise out me... and I expect Officers to have the same level of professionalism and respect for the BOR.

IMHO... Cops instigated the situation "without cause", that drew out the dog... and I hope the owner pulls a fat settlement.

It seems that fear of lawsuits is about the only thing these guys have to fear.

Tack