Thanks to the Forum, Seriously

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sheriffjohn, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Just want to say THANKS to all who keep this forum alive - moderators, sponsors, and everyone who contributes their thoughts and feelings. You all have become a group of friends no matter where you live, what your occupation is or was, or what your personal interests are. This is a special place and I just want to tell everyone Thank YOU.

2. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

sheriff, yeah, we're a family. A different kind of family, but with all the important parts.

towboater, ellis36 and Sniper03 like this.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Yes, you are all my family.

Including that lazy son-in-law that won't get a job, and my crazy Uncle Fred- who always brings me strings of Black Cats from South Carolina.

PeeJay1313, RJF22553, JimRau and 5 others like this.
  4. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

I bet I'm the family member you all try to forget about. ;)

5. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Does this forum have moderators ? Kfox tried to get rid of a troll for 2 weeks and it was like getting rid of Herpes LOL .

kfox75, towboater, Rifling82 and 3 others like this.
  6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Like I said in another post "all you have to do is hit the ignore button"
    "We" the collective we could easily solve this issue. Instead some chose to play and get all agitated and demand the moderators do something!

schnuffleupagus and bluez like this.
  7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

A real troll hacks everybody off, i.e. Shoobee, the Wabbit did/does not rise to that level.

winds-of-change likes this.
  8. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

It is a good place to hang out John & you seem to fit in well . Rifling still needs some work but he is coming along ! :p

towboater, Rifling82 and ellis36 like this.
  9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

There are 5 administrators here.

Winds-of-change
    LT2108
    Jbardellini
    Balota
    C3shooter

Some are on more often than others.
    Trolls have been dealt with for now.
    We can’t just ban members someone or other doesn’t like. Rules have to be broken and a order has to be followed. Such as reminding of rules, warning, time outs then final ban.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    Pasquanel and schnuffleupagus like this.
  10. c3shooter

As Winds said- except for the flagrant spammers, we DO have a process we work thru to attempt to get folks to straighten up and fly right.

The part she left out- when someone is deliberately trying to be an ***, and ignores private words of warning, the Admins play paper-scissors-rock to see which one of us gets to whack them.

[​IMG]

11. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Personally I feel that anyone who abuses the report function just to get someone banned they don't like should be banned themselves.

winds-of-change, locutus and RJF22553 like this.
  12. c3shooter

Maser- Part of the reason that we try to do things right- not everybody agrees with everybody all the time. Disagreeing is fine. But you CAN disagree with someone and still treat them in a civil and respectful manner. Again, we expect folks to put on their big boy pants, and act like grownups.

I do not want to wake up one morning I find that I have turned into the guy from the Homeowner's Association that is using a ruler to measure how long your grass is.

Forums (fora, but no one uses the term) are somewhat fragile- this one has been going for a surprisingly long time, is still growing gently. I have enjoyed it- and the electronic company of a lot of good folks I will never meet in person.

RKB, Pasquanel, crash11049 and 9 others like this.
  13. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

:oops: o. I use it....

Pasquanel and RJF22553 like this.
  14. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Agreeing or disagreeing is not the issue (with me at least). My issue is the influx of cancel culture that has been infesting lots of forums over the last couple years. Hell, not too long ago I got banned from a trapshooting forum all because a small handful of snowflakes from another site who didn't like me there and couldn't get me banned there did the next best thing and got me banned at the other site.

I understand forum staff don't need a reason to ban someone, but if you turn into a Nazi and goosestep all over the forum abusing your moderator powers, you're gonna create a very exclusive group of people and that will rapidly kill a forum. Fortunately I don't see any of that from the staff members here.

ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been on here for 11 years. I don't always post, but when I do... I drink Dos Equis.

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You would be surprised, or maybe not, at how many people report many posts of the same member to try to get them banned. Most of those posts are breaking no rule. So many want someone banned who they just don’t like.

towboater likes this.
  17. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

That’s some good beer!

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to break silence for a moment here, and then disappear again.

There's an old adage that goes, if one person calls you a jackass, ignore them. If two people do, same. If three or more call you one, you might want to check your ears, and see if you have a tail.

I would like to believe, if close to a dozen people are reporting the same member, for the same things, that that would help the process along a bit, Especially, if they are not the type to normally report another's posts. Especially when several of them are members who are paying to be here. (And in 9 years, I have reported few enough to where I can count said number on one hand, with fingers left over.)

I try to be a reasonable person, but close to a week, with nothing done over personal attacks, with me trying to make peace, and defuse the situation, that's a tall ask, to expect someone to sit and take it.

Especially when said member was reported by others, for the same things.

Admin and moderators, I understand where you're coming from, but it should never get to the point where a member would rather take a walk, than stick around, dealing with that. Certainly not To a point of pretty much telling the site where to stick it. Paying or otherwise.

Pas, it's not just one guy, or even recent. Years in the making would be the truth of the matter. As I already told you via PM.

And yes, I know I will take some flak over this post. C3 and Winds, this place has changed since I came here, and not in a good way. You and the others need to look into it, and consider some changes,.or I won't be the last long term member walking.

Sorry bout hanging the dirty laundry in public y'all. But as with any repair, you have to know there is a problem, to find and fix it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:12 AM
  19. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Well, I've been noticing somebody seems to be in a time out.

20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I'ma start looking for a job onathese days, Pop! Can I borrow $20 for the pot shop?

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.