Thank you LEOs

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Rick1967, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was involved in a 1 car accident this morning. I hit a patch of ice on a bridge. I went into a spin. Nothing I could do but ride it out and see what happens. I slammed into a concrete barrier. I was unharmed. I was only doing about 30 mph. My airbags didn't even go off.
    I called the Colorado State Patrol. When the trooper arrived I handed him my Concealed Weapon Permit first. I said, "I don't want to scare you." He smiled and said, I don't scare too easy. Thanks for getting a permit though."

He helped me get a tow truck and filled out the report. He did not ticket me. He said he had seen four other accidents that morning. He spotted a bunch of wet phone books in the back of my pickup. When he asked what they were for I told them that I use them for bullistic testing. We had a long discussion about different calibers and barrel lengths. He wants to start reloading.

I called his supervisor and left a message thanking the deparment for their assistance and the fact that they had sent a highly professional officer to assist me.

We civilians often forget how many times officers help people and all they get out of it is some pissed off lady calling their boss because she thinks she wasn't at fault.

You guys and gals Rock! Thanks for all that you do.

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Rick, glad you are OK.

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey Rick, how bad is your car?

4. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet an officer that is a good example.

Thanks for posting that. It is nice to hear some good stories for once.

Darin

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The phone call is nice, but nothing beats a short letter to his boss's boss. Attaboy letters really help, even short one paragraph ones.

6. Rick1967

Thanks I will send a letter. The cop was top notch. Definatly the kind of guy we need watching our backs.

My pick up is pretty messed up. I was only doing about 30. I ended up being against the barrier facing the wrong way. When I got the truck off the pavement I got out expecting to have a bunch of paint damage and some scrapes. I was actually thinking I might drive it home and fix it myself. When I walked around to the front the whole front was blown apart. It hit the corner of the passenger side front bumper. But it shoved everything sideways. Then the the truck kept spining and hit the back bumper. Bent up the back bumper and the side of the bed.

I am really bummed because I bought the truck just over a year ago with 17,000 miles on it. I am up to 31,000 now. It's a 2003. But until this morning it looked brand new.

7. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

That sucks, Rick, I am glad you are OK!

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

Yep, glad you're okay too. Don't be surprised if you feel a bit sore tomorrow. Sometimes it hits you later. Also glad you ran into a "professional". Like robo said a letter to his agency gets put into his file and it's a nice pat on the back.

9. Rick1967

Now I get to drive my 82 Blazer around. I am glad I didn't mess it up instead. There is an S-10 on every corner. But a nice blazer with a removable top is getting a lot harder to find. At least I can still get to the range in the mud. That Blazer will go anywhere.

10. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Thanks for the kind words on the LEO. I'm sure he will get a good pat on the back and a smile on his face. Even when you have 100's of contacts that end with a person being pissed off, the one that say thanks fell good. As for the 2003 truck, that is the bad thing about all the safety in newer trucks and cars. Just a small hit makes big dents. They are made to crumple like that to absorb the impact of the collision. Glad you are OK with out a ticket:).

11. Rick1967

Progressive insurance rocks!

OK. Wow. I wrecked my pick up on Friday. I have a check in my hand today! They totalled it out and cut me a check for just over $8,000. I am a customer for life.

12. zhuk

zhuk New Member

That cheque must have lessened the pain a lil, Rick :D Glad to hear you're OK...can't imagine what driving on icy roads would be like.

What a truly professional LEO dealt with you too; and good on you for letting his superiors know that. Well done! :)

Still a bit mind-boggling how you were able to be involved in a crash and they not automatically take your weapons, as would happen here (at least until it was proved nothing was your fault; the breath-testing came back negative etc etc).

Just how the other half of the world lives, i guess.

13. themyst

themyst New Member

I was pulled over for speeding today (he let me go ... thanks LEO's!) and all I could think of was the thread here about notifying/not notifying LEO's about a weapon in the vehicle. In my case, I decided to wait until he asked, but he didn't, so I didn't tell. I knew enough to have my hands planted firmly on the steering wheel and in plain view if he would have, though.

14. Rick1967

Cops around here are really cool. I have shown my permit 3 times now. Each time it ends up in a conversation about who shoots what. 45 vs. 40 stuff like that. Those phone books really got his attention.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In America, we have a concept of "Innocent until proven Guilty". Most officers believe this (the bad apples are out there). Concealed carry permit holders have undergone at least some training and a pretty extensive background check. I presume a CHL holder to be a cut above the "sheep" that wander the streets aimlessly and the wolves the prowl about looking for sheep.

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Now that IS cool! But then I guess most US LEOs would be gun owners privately which is absolutely not the case here.

I wish our cops weren't so suspicious about gun owners/licence holders. Every time you have any type of contact with the police for whatever reason here a massive red flag [WARNING!!FIREARMS!!WARNING!!] jumps up on their screens :rolleyes: