Thank God for Youtube

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by aandabooks, Mar 10, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Went on a gun cleaning kick and decided to give my Ruger Mark III 22/45 a good cleaning. What a pain in the butt to get back together. Took two different Youtube videos and three attempts to get it back together right.

Good thing it is a super accurate pistol or it might not be worth the frustration.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That's the one thing that makes me want to avoid them. I'm glad that when I've had the opportunity to shoot them, I can hand them back to the owner and let them deal with disassembly and cleaning. Wonderful to shoot, but I don't want to own one.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I got through the first time. It will go easier the next time.

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I look at it this way - if I can break down my 22/45 for cleaning I can handle anything! The instructions in the Ruger manual make a lot of sense after watching YouTube

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I once took apart a 10-22. What a PITA! The breakdown instructions in the Ruger Manual for my 77/22 are WRONG!! Things like this are one of the reasons for my love/hate relationship with Ruger.

6. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

If you sign onto the Ruger website and click the resource tab they have videos on breaking down, cleaning and reassembling many of their guns including your pistol and the 10/22.

After you watch the guy it makes it a lot easier! Once you do it a few times it gets pretty automatic, but I still go back to the video every now and then. Keep trying, both guns are worth it! ;)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

the ruger mark3 isnt that hard and easier than most 22 semi auto to tear down and put together. the instruction manual has an exact step by step and the folks that have trouble with em are the ones that dont read the manual :D

the only part that sometimes folks have a hard time grasping is the hammer has to be in the cocked position to put the bolt in and then moved to the fired position once the bolt is in to put the mainspring housing in.

to do that you pull the trigger and tilt the gun muzzle up hammer falls to to the cocked position. slide the bolt in then pull the trigger tilt the muzzle down hammer moves tot he fired position and you can install the mainspring housing.

its really not that difficult once you understand why your doing what your doing.

8. rurak

rurak New Member

Ive had mine apart twice. Last time I took it all the way and took the firing pin and extractor out. It gets easier. Is there a way to take the trigger assembly out? I would like to clean it r eally well

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Youtube is one of the few inventions today that sponsers the better interest of the public. I've learned so much from it (dissembling, assembling, purchasing what, which, and why when it comes to matters of firearms).

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I am a huge Youtube fan. (Have you seen the one where the guy shoots his soft-sided pool with a 500 S&W?) But there is also total crap. (Have you seen the one where the guy just sits in his lawn chair sleeping for 5 min?)

P.S. Have you seen Tourettes Guy?

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

the videos on the ruger site are really good. some of the youtube videos are filmed so poorly they make it difficult to really understand the process. In truth if you follow...the...manual...word...for...word..literally...it explains it perfectly!
    Still, its a PITA to break down but a blast to shoot...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Had 1 of those years ago... I parted with it after the same headache. Don't matter how good a shooter it is, if you need double jointed wrists to reassemble... It ain't worth it. ;)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

took maybe 5 minutes for me to go through the procedure with winds. its realllly easy.

all you have to do is clear it. pull the trigger so hammer goes forward. pull out mainspring housing the pull out the bolt.

seperate upper from lower.

clean the gun.

to reassemble fit the upper to the lower. the hammer has to be cocked so there is room for the bolt to go in.

to cock the hammer point gun up pull trigger and hold it. shake it a bit and hammer will cock. slide bolt in.

to get the mainspring in you have to have the hammer in the fired position. pull trigger and hold it and at the same time point the gun down so the hammer falls into the fired position. now the mainspring can be inserted.

its really that simple. easier than putting together a 1911

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Not for me... I do my 1911's blindfolded but that whole hammer up for this hammer down for that was way too much of a pain for me.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

have to do the same thing with a 1911... heh. hammer has to be cocked to get it all together. got to line up barrel links and keep it from flopping around so it has to be in a specific alignment.

its just a procedure like any other gun

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Really, if I can do it, anyone can do it. I wouldn't trade my Mark II for anything.

17. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most of the owner's manuals nowadays stop waay short of total take down instructions, I guess for liability reasons. I like to disassemble down to the smallest spring or removable component and have had to depend on youtube vids a number of times.

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

After 2 or 3 tear downs, reassembly is great...

It's been two years since I last shot mine, wonder if I'll remember how to reassemble???

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yes but I can see the barrel link in the 1911 and it's hammer is expose... No guessing, wondering, or googling to figure it out.

Guess it really isn't any "harder" with the .22/45... I just appreciate guns that don't require the internet to figure out.

...and no... I don't read directions before assembling my kids toy either. ;)

Tack

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

the take-down on these guns is counter-intuitive. no getting around that