Texas Open Carry

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by robocop10mm, Aug 29, 2013.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With the rising number of 2nd Amendment activists across the Country, we have made it a point to train all our LE people, including communications personnel on the legalities of open carrying long guns in Texas.

I did a class for our shift (abbreviated) today.

The bottom line is the Open Carry advocates are looking for video of officers acting inappropriately. If they do not get the reaction they are looking for in or jurisdiction, they will go into the city where they are much more likely to get the "you tube" moments they want.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

A couple thing's I'd to say.

1) Thank you.

2) I am an open carry advocate (as far as rights go), and I would not do that. The people that do are dicks!

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Personally, I think anyone running around with a camera is violating the rights of innocent bystanders. No one has my permission to film me. And no, I don't give a **** if I'm in a public place. If I'm being filmed, I'll be taking whatever recording device is being used, and either destroy it, or keep it until I can erase my image at my leisure. And yes, I've done both. It's illegal to do so too. (Edit to add: obviously its impossible to avoid security cameras in most places. These are a known entity to me though, and not a random jack ass on the street acting like... a Jack ass)

Now, add a gun into the mix so you can get your 15 minutes of YouTube fame. Just a bad idea.

I'm an open carry advocate, as I'm sure most are aware. But the point of open carry is NOT to draw attention to yourself. It is to carry in a means and way that is comfortable and legal for the carrier. That is all.

My gun is like my penis. I like it. I think it looks cool. Every now and then I like to pull it out and play with it (in private). It feels good in my hands, and in my pants. Everyone knows I've got it. But I see no need to wave it around in anyone's face, saying, "oooh, lookey what I've got!" No, no. It's fine sitting right where it is while I quietly go about my day to day life.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Trip there are no Uuum! skeletons in your closet.:D

5. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Trip you hands down have the funniest posts on here as far as I've noticed. Good analogy by the way.

I've seen several videos of people baiting cops with open carrying .22s that look like mp5s and it's kind of asinine. But LEOs should know the laws of open carry so if the YouTube douchebaggery is a catalyst for better informed officers I guess it's not completely useless.

6. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I see no point in open carry of a long gun. Or the people to want to get their face on the news doing it .

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I see those people on YouTube who go around looking for trouble and trying to get a reaction out of cops to actually hurt our cause, a lot.

I think open carry is a right of all of us if people want to exercise it. I don't mind when I've seen people doing it in the past.

What bothers me is fools walking around with cameras trying to get a rise out of police.

Thank you for what you're doing, Robo.

Trip. Perfect analogy.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well one issue with that, is that it serves just as well to piss of anti gunners and police.

Have we forgotten the death of California carry so easily?

That's exactly what happened there. Their carry laws are so restrictive, it got to the point where the easiest way for civilians to carry was to open carry in condition 4. People got so YouTube happy, going out looking for confrontations on video, that now open carry in condition 4 has also been banned.

A prime example of this is one guy I've seen on YouTube, taking his dog to a ritzy neighborhood (where he didn't even live) and walking a toy poodle with his AR15 and full tac vest. Of course it didn't take long at all for the cops to show up, and he started getting loud and excited.

Can't find it now. YouTube search for dogs these days brings up just about nothing but cops shooting them, unless they're missing two hind legs and they walk around on their front legs with their ass up in the air.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hell no, I hide the bodies long before they decompose! Just what kinda man do you think I am?

10. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Hey every now and the doing the helicopter won't hurt nothing that right there is self entertainment

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh my God, I thought I was the only one who knew how helicopter!

12. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

uhhhh.....a comparison of a gun to a penis seems much more like you are AGAINST open carry......:eek:....that very comment makes me shriek "CONCEAL!" ;)

i think open carry has no advantage over concealed myself. i wouldn't protest open carry, but i don't necessarily support it either. i just think concealed is so much more effective on almost all levels. so i could really care less if texas gets open carry or not. and there will always be some jerk off that feels he has to carry an AR-15 into wal mart or babies r us to exercise his rights....

but i am definitely AGAINST your penis being "openly carried"....sorry! :p.....but there are places for that i hear.....

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just because you were a male stripper doesn't mean that Trip wants to be one!:p

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Uhh I'm willing to bet he would love to be a male stripper.

15. Axxe55

you can ask him, cause i'm not!:p

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In our county unless it's hunting season, if you are running around with a long gun you will be arrested for armed to the terror of the public (brandishing).

17. hawkguy

that would be extremely stupid to be arrested or fined for carrying a hunting firearm where it needed to go.

it is also extremely stupid when some dummy wants to strap an AR or AK to his back and go to the mall or the neighborhood park....

common sense......hello?.....common sense.....where are you?....;)

18. hawkguy

hey, i worked TWO jobs through college....a day and...y'know a night job....;)

i should be lauded for my work ethic.....:D

19. Axxe55

Texas, IIRC has a proposal to add open carrying of pistols to the laws. not for sure where it stands right now though.

TexasWoodworker posted a link to it a few months ago.

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

IIRC, it was the NRA who told me that. I don't think it went anywhere (yet). I hope it does though.