Texas hunting with a 223

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Double_tap, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Hey gents just a quick question but would a 223 be sufficient enough for the majority of hunts out here in Texas, I almost feel like a 300 win mag would be over kill, Im in the process of building an AR 10 but with the way the money is right now and what I want to build it wont be finished until about next year. I mainly want to hunt wild hogs, I went on a wild hog hunt as a kid and used my 3030 it worked well, but would like to use something in an AR platform.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Get a quality heavier grain bullet, 75 grain for instance, and .223 will be fine for wild hogs.

3. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have been using 5.56 for deer and hogs for years. I have killed hogs over 300 lbs with 55 gr sp. As long as you do your part the 5.56 will kill anything in Texas.

4. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Really appreciate the feed back gents, I almost felt like I was asking a dumb question but I've been hearing from a lot of self proclaimed experts that it wasn't big enough of a round to do the job. I had faith in it, but never hunted an animal other than cyote with it. Growing up in western PA I did almost all my hunting in the brush with a 3030 until I graduated to a 30-06 and then to a 300 win mag. Im trying to learn as much as I can about wild boar hunting because I've only been on one wild boar hunt and killed a 350lbs up in Tioga PA but it was a guided hunt and I was 12. I've heard rumor that the meat from the boar here in Texas is no good any truth to that?

5. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

There are better calibers than the 5.56/.223 for hunting, however, and no more expensive to buy or build. In many states it does not meet legal requirements for medium game hunting, although apparently it is legal in Texas, as it is in my home state of Georgia.

The 6.8 SPC, for example. This is a great hog/whitetail deer caliber.

If you will be using your rifle for high volume shooting the 5.56/.223 will be considerably less expensive for ammo, but the cost of a good hunting round will still be on a par with the 6.8 SPC.

6. jimbo77

jimbo77 New Member

In South Africa the minimum calibre is a 243 for buck the 223 is preferred for vermin. 22-250 looking into it for jackal (our type of coyote) farmers used to keep packs of dogs to keep there numbers down. Now days the packs are gone so the jackal are all over. One nights hunting 15 were shot, only reason they stopped ran out of amo. 223 was used.

7. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

I was just about to post the same question, so thanks for putting it out there. Here in Ca we aren't allowed to hunt medium game with .223, but I'm thinking of going on a Texas boar hunt this year. I've recently loaded some 65 gr .223 hollow points, I'm anxious to find out if they will do the job.

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

A 55gr sp .223 will kill a hog just a easy as any llarger caliber. All it takes is a shot or two to the ribs. Heck, here in Arkansas we hunt 'em with .22's sometimes.

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

This is true, but if your rifling twist is slower than 1 in 10, a larger bullet may not stabilize. A 60 or 65 grain may work.
    cottontop

10. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

Here is one from tonight
    [​IMG]

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good looking hog.

12. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I agree, very nice!

13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Works for me too. Shot placement is everything.

14. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

Thanks all. I had a gut feeling that a well placed 5.56mm would take out a hog. Here in CA the Fish and Game folks get in a uproar if you take a hog with anything less than 30-30, but since I hunt on private family property and dress them myself I never have to deal with them.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe Winchester's recently come out with a .223 round specifically for wild hogs.

16. jimbo77

jimbo77 New Member

Hi what distance do you hunt hogs at? Under a hundred yards? Over dogs gets tricky, wouldn't a slower bigger caliber be better 308/303 less meat damage sure kill, if not hand gun?

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Where I hunt on my friends ranch,we take shots from a few yards to 400/500 yards.We mainly just drive around in a pickup or ride 4 wheelers until we find some hogs.Between his place and his uncle's,there are several thousand acres for the hogs to roam.They might show up one place today,and be several miles away the next.

We use everything from 22 magnum's to the 458 SOCOM to harvest them,it all depends on the size of the hogs we find.

18. jdhagen65

jdhagen65 New Member

19. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I hunt hogs with a 5.56, 6.8, and my 458 Socom. Most of my shots are under 100 yards and most are between 50 and 70 yards. I try to shoot all my hogs in the neck. A CNS shot keeps me from tracking animals.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a heavier round and still cheap to shoot, look into an AR in 7.62X39. If I ever got a chance to go hog hunting, I would take my Mini 30.