Firearms Talk banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Well, I haven't seen anything yet to prove the guy was drunk yet. The article say's "suspected drunken driver ".

Also, firearms are to be carried for self defense, not the administering of street justice.

What happens if the "suspected drunken driver " wasn't drunk? Does he get to come back to life?
Excellent post.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Well, I haven't seen anything yet to prove the guy was drunk yet. The article say's "suspected drunken driver ".

I have not read that the dead guy was or was not drunk. Absent any information on this fact I will go off of what the article says.

Also, firearms are to be carried for self defense, not the administering of street justice.
Totally agree. But the fact is that this will sometimes happen.

What happens if the "suspected drunken driver " wasn't drunk? Does he get to come back to life?
If he was not drunk then I believe that changes everything.

Since the guy is going to trial I imagine this will all come out.

Vikingdad;1141925 If he was not drunk then I believe that changes everything. [/QUOTE said:
Really?? It changes the fact that he was shot down in cold blood????

Drunk or not, he was shot down in cold blood.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Really?? It changes the fact that he was shot down in cold blood????

Drunk or not, he was shot down in cold blood.
Well, I take it that you would never succumb to the grief and horror of the moment and do something rash. Good for you. I would hope that I would do the same.

Duly noted.

Well, I take it that you would never succumb to the grief and horror of the moment and do something rash. Good for you. I would hope that I would do the same.

Duly noted.

Vike, I think you know very well that with my background I certainly understand this guy's feelings. And I have a very bitter hatred of drunk drivers. Always have.

But as a (hopefully) responsible citizen, and as a retired LEO, I also know that we all have a responsibility to not allow our emotions of the moment to so cloud our judgement that we react based on primal instinct and totally disregard the rule of law.

And I think if you step back and take a deep breath you will agree with me.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Vike, I think you know very well that with my background I certainly understand this guy's feelings. And I have a very bitter hatred of drunk drivers. Always have.

But as a (hopefully) responsible citizen, and as a retired LEO, I also know that we all have a responsibility to not allow our emotions of the moment to so cloud our judgement that we react based on primal instinct and totally disregard the rule of law.

And I think if you step back and take a deep breath you will agree with me.
I would daresay that none of us will have the same reactions to a horrific event. I do not have the same background as you. Perhaps having this discussion here would give us the opportunity to think about what might happen if we do find ourselves in a situation where we might lose it and kill a person where it is not justifiable.

I maintain that this guy acted emotionally and rashly. I am not saying he did the right thing, but putting him in jail while awaiting trial for something that he is (in all likelihood) beating himself up over and will be doing so for the rest of his life (if he has any measure of humanity) is not necessarily the right way to approach it.

He will be put on trial. I am good with that. I think he should be. But is further punishment really necessary?

Quite often drunk drivers who kill people go on to drive drunk again. There is oftentimes very little or no remorse. They can and do kill again in some cases.

My bet is that this guy will never have his surviving kids get out of the car on a road at night again. He will probably never use a gun rashly again (if he carries again).

Vikingdad;1143035 Perhaps having this discussion here would give us the opportunity to think about what might happen if we do find ourselves in a situation where we might lose it and kill a person where it is not justifiable. [COLOR=Blue said:
And that is definitely a good thing[/COLOR]!

He will be put on trial. I am good with that. I think he should be. But is further punishment really necessary?

That will be for a judge and jury to decide after examining all of the facts

Quite often drunk drivers who kill people go on to drive drunk again. There is oftentimes very little or no remorse. They can and do kill again in some cases.

Very definitely. I've seen it happen, and there is no excuse for it

My bet is that this guy will never have his surviving kids get out of the car on a road at night again. He will probably never use a gun rashly again (if he carries again)

And let us hope that everyone who hears of this case will learn the same lessons

I've often wondered why something like this must happen for us to remove our heads from our arses and pay attention to what we're doing.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.