ten shot max??

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by TAT2TOMMY, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

when i bought my ak today i wanted to get a 25 or 30rd mag. now the sales man at the gun store told me that in NY unless the gun was made before a certian year you cant have more than a 10 shot mag?? a friend of mine told me alot of states are that way? im sorry ive only been collecting guns for a few months and still a newb... anyone can give me a huge ak school session this so far is my fav gun to date i own:)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not a lot of states, just a few, But yer in one of them. You will hear the term "pre-ban". Refers to an item made prior to 1994 (???)

Website that will help is Realtor.com. SELL YOUR PLACE AND BUY ONE HERE.

OK- now that I have ragged you enuff- NY State penal Code 265.00:
    23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
    drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
    thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
    that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
    rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
    an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating
    only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

3. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Ten shot max

I don't know where you r in NY, but i lived upstate (catskills) We just bought preban 20 and 30rd mags. I'm not certain on all the legal BS. You might want to ask one of the gun shops in your area. Why have an AK if u can't have 20 or 30rd mags.

4. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

yea im upstate as well, and exactly my thoughts, if you have any preban mags that you would like to sell let me know??

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I could be wrong but I do not think the manufacture date of the gun has any bearing on the permitted mag capacity...believe it is the manufacture date of the mag...don't buy any mag unless the date itself is evident on the mag and can be verified. Tall order I know but might save you a trip to jail.

Check your local laws, we have a 15 rnd mag limit in NJ and manufacture date means nada, zip, zilch...no pre-ban grandfathering of anything.

6. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Ten shot mag

Got rid of my ak and a whole mess of mags. I'll make some calls 2marro, i can't promise, but i'll call some buddies of mine...

7. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

damn... well i may just deal with the 10 round mag, like just buy a couple more 10 rd mags... i just wanted some bigger mags but it seems more trouble than its worth.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Another victim of N.Y. Gun laws!!! :mad:

9. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

i guess i can live lmao

10. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Its the same for MA, we still live under the AWB. You just have to hunt down preban mags like I did for my SUR. There are usually identifying marks on the mag itself which will tell you what year it was made. I don't know much about the AK mags or where there might be a list.

11. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

thanx for the info:)

12. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

The glass is not half empty.

Think on the 'glass is half full' side. You have a great weapon, made in the factory that has produced the best of Mikeal Kalashnikov's babies. Maybe the trigger group has been modified for import and isnt quite as good. Maybe it costs more than an american assembled parts kit (century), to turn into your dream piece. If the full conversion is what your after, with mean commie wood, youll have to get it bit by bit. Your Money is the limit.
    I could not assume great odds in having to use more than 10rds to dispatch your enemy. Theres quite a bit to be said about mag capacity and suppressive fire, but thats probably not the case for 99.9999% of us. Its said that most life and death encounters happen very fast and end very fast. Id be glad to have your 10rd saiga by my side, commie wood or not.

13. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Ten shot mag

I agree the saiga is a nice gun, i don't know what his intentions are, but from what he's saying he's not happy with 10rd mag. like i said earlier check legalities, i'm pretty sure u can use preban mags. As for going into a combat situation with an AK, i definetely want a larger cap. mag. Thats just my personal opion...

14. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

nicley put:)

15. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

deff true:p i want bigger mags in a situation like that, idk ive just always liked bigger mags lol

16. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Ten shot mag

I made some calls nobody wants to give up any of their mags. I don't know if it's legal to purchase them in another state. again go to your local gun shop and ask them. Good Luck"

17. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

thank you man.

18. cuate

cuate New Member

State to State

My State has no prohibitions regarding mags (Texas) but its funny how I came to own a ten round one with my thirty rounders. Was over at my neighbor's and we couldn't secure my AK in his lead sled for accuracy tests because of the long 30 rd. mag.

So I ordered a Tapco 10 rounder. Although this would cure the lead sled tie down problem, I havent made it back over there but it feeds well and snaps in and out perfectly. We both live on farms and can shoot outdoors.

19. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

As a former New Yorker I can sympathize with you. I also live in an SSR that limits Mag size. In Maryland you cannot manufacture, buy or sell detachable magazines with a capacity of more than 20 rounds. There is currently proposed legislation seeking to limit the capacity to 10 rounds. It is not illegal to purchase higher capacity magazines out of state and bring them into Maryland.
    The irony is that the antis are calling these magazines "High Capacity" when the standard sidearm today in say 9mm is 14 - 17 rounds.
    This tactic is just another way that antis like Bloomberg are using to limit the sales of firearms.

20. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

ten shot mag

All these regulations drive me crazy. I recently read that there are roughly 80 million gun owners and approx. 1500 accidental deaths each yr. Now there are approximately 712 thousand doctors and about 120 thousand people die from accidental deaths caused by their doctors, so your chances of dying are 9,000 times greater by going to your doctor then owning a gun or 20 or 30 rd mag. Give me a break, they should start looking at the real problems in our country, and leave us law abiding citizens who enjoy their guns ALONE!!!!!!!!