Telling Freindlys From Not-So-Freindlys If SHTF?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by MrMosin, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Just for the sake of bringing it up, say the S has aleready HTF, you and yours (or just you) are bugged out and have a temporary or permanent camp up in the mountains. One morning you or you and a buddy go out hunting with the intention of hauling a deer back to camp and having a SHTF potluck dinner. Then you hear faint voices off in the disatnce. Upon investigating you see 3 men, all like you, have rifles. Right now they are standing around talking, you don't know if there are more in the area. What do you do to determine if they are a threat?

2. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

If they shoot at you, you know they’re a threat.

3. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Well that goes without saying. But getting into a firefight could get you woulded or killed, and the noise from the rifles would definately bring in more baddies in the area.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Your number one option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Laugh at that and you will become a supply dump.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

We would quietly fade away, but not back to camp, but instead to a position where we could observe them undetected. If they start to approach the camp, they would be challenged and it would go from there. Two against three isn't bad odds if we are unobserved and already have two of them in our sights. ;)

6. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Yep, avoidance if at all possible and have a plan. Have some sort of perimeter defense for your camp, especially for night. Like trip wires with rocks in soda cans and the like for early warning. Know the area and have an escape route. Never trust any stranger or turn your back on them. You just never know.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

THIS....and why does it sound so familiar? :cool:

8. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Personal opinion survey them stay hidden, if you have two other buddies send one back to camp to make sure the others or just supplies are ok. If determined that they are a threat wait till dark go in with knifes have one with a rifle watching over ya for support and make it all nice and quiet take what you need leave the rest move on. If not sure have your buddy cover you or visa versa if anyone makes a move the speaker is covered. If not share as little information as possible about numbers of people or rations and supplies. Or you could just wait and fallow them around see what they do.

There's a lot of what if's, I'd rather be sure then kill people for no reason or get killed. just personal opinion I'd rather look at a man through the scope of my rifle then from behind my knife.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

They're toast if withing 3 mles of my camp and unidentified, I have to agree with CA357. Observe and eliminate if necessary. Detection of my camp and the reporting of such find cannot be allowed.

10. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I haven't seen any way of determining they're "friendly". Does this mean I can't crash on your guys' couches after the apocalypse?

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Someone who knocks on my door and politely engages me in discourse is potentially friendly. Anyone who approaches anything other than my door (eg: garden, outbuilding, vehicle) would be considered a thief.

If I were out with a friend, I would want communication with whatever "home" was and would alert them to the folks we saw. Engaging them would be unnecessary, IMO. If they go away, fine. If they find "home", the folks at home are ready for them.

12. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Come on, Ploof. Kill 'em all and let God sort it out! :D

Seriously, how do you maintain your humanity and not simply murder people pre-emptively?

I think avoidance is best. Better to not be in the gunfight.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've already had a hat made that reads "TACKLEBERRY" across the front & back.

It's OD Green w/subdued lettering.

PLEASE USE YOUR BINO'S, NOT YOUR SCOPE TO IDENTIFY ME!:eek:

TACK

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If they have an FTF supporting member decal they are friendly, otherwise avoid or eliminate them. Seriously, in a true SHTF scenario self preservation is the goal so anyone, friendly or not, is just another mouth to feed and should be avoided and left to their own. Only those that can add fire power, skills or provisions to the camp should be accepted. Thieves and hostiles should be summarily eliminated.

15. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

What if they came up from behind the shelter and are looking for the front door?

16. opaww

opaww New Member

Under that scenario I would see if they were being as quite as possible, sense noise carries a long way and can bring many more unwanted guests. If they were loud and obnoxious they are unwanted in my book.

If it is say 3 men no females with them then I would consider them to be out foraging like maybe take what they can from whom they can.

Best thing is to watch them, let camp know quietly, if they make the wrong action or say the wrong things they die where they are, I take no chances.

If I am out roaming around you all will know me, I will have FTF on my chest and naked as a jay bird

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Learning to read body language will help as well. You can tell a persons intentions through body stance, facial expressions and the way they move. I agree with the deterrence, observation and avoidance. Save ammo, save lives and you may be able to add a second, third or fourth member to the team. Strength in numbers, more eyes on watch.

18. bkt

bkt New Member

It's OK by me as long as they go to the door before looking at anything else.

19. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

If they're looking for shelter I'd provide but I don't know them therefore their weapons will stay with me while they're here, if they don't like it then they can stay in the sticks eating mushrooms.

20. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

If they get within 50 yards of me or my camp or close enough to spot me ill look at body language and if I determine them to be a threat I will start to hum Carry on my Wayward Son by kansas and open up the judgment of god. Its gonna take some realy bad decisions on there part for that to happen tho. I would rather add someone to the group than send one to his maker. Also women and children will be spared.