Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like what reviews I read. I want a rather inexpensive hammer gun in .380. I can buy one right now delivered for $279.99. I would use on the range for fun. But after I learn it, it may also be a carry in the car gun in a console. Perhaps even for a CC gun. And NO, I want it in .380. I have enough 9mm already in different brands.

So, what say you guys?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like what reviews I read. I want a rather inexpensive hammer gun in .380. I can buy one right now delivered for $279.99. I would use on the range for fun. But after I learn it, it may also be a carry in the car gun in a console. Perhaps even for a CC gun. And NO, I want it in .380. I have enough 9mm already in different brands.

So, what say you guys?
Everything I’ve read says it’s pretty unpleasant to shoot and chews up your hand.

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
11,786 Posts
Everything I’ve read says it’s pretty unpleasant to shoot and chews up your hand.
The reviews I've read weren't stellar and I've owned it's cousin, a Walther PPK/S and it was pretty unpleasant to shoot and a Jam O Matic with almost everything. Stick that CZ82 in the console Steve, much easier on the hand, reliable as the sun rising in the east and shoots a better round.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reviews I've read weren't stellar and I've owned it's cousin, a Walther PPK/S and it was pretty unpleasant to shoot and a Jam O Matic with almost everything. Stick that CZ82 in the console Steve, much easier on the hand, reliable as the sun rising in the east and shoots a better round.
Perhaps I should since I have several CZ 82's to choose from.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
EVERYTHING??
Here's the trouble with reviews....they are opinions.
A "reviewer" picks up a gun, shoots a couple of magazines through it and suddenly he's an expert.
I have a Bersa .380. Accurate, fun to shoot, nice for your hip, pocket or gun console.
Yes, it is rough around the edges....like a gun in that price range always is.
But no two guns from different companies are alike.
I have seen poor to bad reviews on just about every firearm I own.
But I buy them for me. I handle them in the gun shop, work the action, take note of the feel in my hand and make my decision by those actions.
Not from the word of someone who shot it a couple of times and may never shoot it again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love the Bersa- pretty much all of them. I have had several for years- and they have remained at the top of my list. I recently past most of them on to other family members- but I kept a BT-380 Plus, a DLX, and a CC....all in 380. I keep the Plus and CC out and loaded for easy pick up. I don't carry them every day- but do on occasion. I bought a Sig 365 a couple years ago and it has become my main carry most of the time...and recently a Ruger LCP Max- which I have had a ton of issues with. I ramble on....

But Bersa- why not? You can get two for the price of some of the other guns. And their larger caliber guns are good too. Smooth shooters- all of them. Never held any of the BPCC models (plastic frame).

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I’m researching getting one myself. I have fired one. Here are my thought, for what they are worth.

I have owned three other .380 handguns. A Ruger LCP- probably the handiest, but least pleasant to shoot. A Hungarian SMC (PPK clone with aluminum frame, so lighter than a PPK in all steel)- same bad trigger as a PPK accurate as all get out, not super reliable, not unpleasant to shoot in my opinion. Beretta 85-among the top their in .380 pistols. Also among the largest. Super accurate, super reliable, pleasant to shoot, big for .380 class carry.

The Bersa was designed by former Beretta employees. Trigger is similar, feel is similar, not unpleasant to shoot. Can’t speak to the reliability, long term. Bigger than a PPK a little more trim than the Beretta. Magazine disconnect is a turn-off but not a deal breaker. The one I fired was quite accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I don’t have much experience with them, only shot two mags full, but I kinda enjoyed it. Friend who owns a couple of them just absolutely loves them. All reports I have heard were pretty good…

·
Registered
Sp101
37 Posts

So, what say you guys?
I can’t speak about the bersa but I highly recommend the s&w 380ez

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
My Bersa Thunder .380 Combat is my EDC and I love it. It is heavier than a pocket pistol like the LCP, but far more stout and far more comfortable to shoot. The weight is in the all-steel slide; the receiver is alloy. The "Combat" difference is in the sights and the grip.

I never considered it painful to shoot: in fact, because it is so easy to shoot, one gets to be a better shot as one shoots it more rather than a painful pistol such as the LCP.

I've had mine for several years and NEVER had a failure. Not one. I only shoot FMJ - my preferred round. It is in my back pocket right now. Take-down is simple. It has enough heft for it to be used as a weapon all by itself. Should I want another EDC, it would be a Bersa Thunder .380 and recommended it to a friend, who also carries it.

Drawbacks? Mags are expensive and hard to find. Two 8+1s is standard with the Combat, but a 9+1 DLX mag is available that works fine. I always carry a spare mag, and it is the DLX mag. Would not recommend the CC version, but would recommend the PLUS model if available: just get extra mags (my preference is six mags per mag-loaded pistol) at the same time.

Buy once, cry once.

IMHO, there is no better SA/DA pistol available.

Have a .22LR cousin, that can be picky on ammo, but 100% with CCI MiniMags.

Would strongly recommend to anyone!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I can’t speak about the bersa but I highly recommend the s&w 380ez
The 380EZ is amazing. Bought one for my wife, now I steal it for pocket carry sometimes.

Already have a 380EZ and a 9mm EZ. Too expensive for a car gun.
Meh… I have a Beretta APX Compact as my car gun. It’s probably about the same price as a .380 EZ. It’s been my car gun at least 3 years.

The .380 EZ would be perfect for the role, I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the Bersa- pretty much all of them. I have had several for years- and they have remained at the top of my list. I recently past most of them on to other family members- but I kept a BT-380 Plus, a DLX, and a CC....all in 380. I keep the Plus and CC out and loaded for easy pick up. I don't carry them every day- but do on occasion. I bought a Sig 365 a couple years ago and it has become my main carry most of the time...and recently a Ruger LCP Max- which I have had a ton of issues with. I ramble on....

But Bersa- why not? You can get two for the price of some of the other guns. And their larger caliber guns are good too. Smooth shooters- all of them. Never held any of the BPCC models (plastic frame).
Question: I see MecGar mags are available in some places. Do they work or have you heard?
Thank You

·
Registered
485 Posts
Question: I see MecGar mags are available in some places. Do they work or have you heard?
Thank You
All I have seen about Mecgar mags in the Bersa is good.
Most of what I have seen about Promags in the Bersa is bad.

Although I do not have a single Mecgar mag, but I have 5 Promags- bought them at Academy for like $16.95..... don't even know why I still have them? Nothing but trouble.

·
Proud to be an American
4,093 Posts
The Bursa Thunder is a fine little handgun, it's a bit larger than my PPK but overall a superior design and it would be my choice between the two.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts