Tell me about S&W.

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by mopowerbmx, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Hi guys. I'm buying a new handgun soon and I'm split. I'm a Glock fan and was going for the new 42,but it seems it came out with some issues. I'm looking at the Body Guard and Shield. Something small and skinny. I already have a few Full size handguns. Just picking up the M&P and Shield I love the grip angle. I have never shot them so I don't know how the shoot.Anyone have any issues with the BG or Shield? Wanting something with a slim slide this time. I picked up and dry fired the BG and LCP together today. I wasn't impressed with the long trigger on the BG compared to the LCP. But if it is more reliable its a winner. Thanks for the help guys.

2. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Oops sorry for being a noob on S&W. I should have at least read some threads before I posted. I have answered a few of my questions. Some of which I knew just by handling them for a few minutes. My biggest question should have been reliability or what ammo works the best. Like I said I'm on the Glock Koolaid. I haven't had any problems with any ammo I have put through my Glocks so I'm pretty confident in the gun.Im trying to branch out and I just like the way S&W feels. I've also had CZs and they have been great as well.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Never mind, I've misread your post.

4. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Ha you weren't going to say anything positive were you.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Just overlooked that you asked about the Shield, I don't know it LOL

6. clearsights

clearsights New Member

My wife and I have put about 6000 total rounds through 2 different Shields with various ammos and have had no issues with them. I would still recommend trying to shoot one first. If you like the grip, that's definitely a good starting point though.

Attached Files:

7. The Man

The Man New Member

I have a Shield 9mm for a year now. Love it!! :)

8. mahall

mahall New Member

I'm a Glock dude as well, but I bought the Shield for more versatility to carry in Hot weather. Great gun, if you can Iive with the external safety and limited capacity(7-8), I recommended it! The choice was easy for me over the 42, 380 ammo is expensive and hard to find. The shield will eat any ammo you want to feed it. Has decent sites and trigger out of the box as well.

Like guns, love people!!

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

MoPo, be sure to look at the XDs. Solid little guy. small and skinny :)

9mm and even better .45ACP.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Smith & Wesson

...a former "semi" communist gun manufacturer located in the United States, notorious for being the only gun manufacturer to be cowed by "then" HUD Director Andrew Cuomo "Current Governor of NY" into signing the Clinton HUD agreement which promised protection from government lawsuits in exchange for turning "Benedict Arnold" on the gun culture by agreeing to voluntarily meet excessive restriction Clinton was unable to get approved in Congress.

Wholesaler backlash and massive cancelations of orders Nation Wide put S&W into a financial tailspin until "then owner" Tompkins Limited... A British Holding Company, Sold the S&W brand back into American hands to Safe T Lock, a Texas bases gun lock manufacturer.

Of course the sale was not finalized until after the election of GWB and the agreement nullified by "then AG" John Ashcroft.

They are doing much better now.

...any more history questions? I'm here all week. ;)

Tack

11. targa

targa Member

Like KG7IL mentioned, I would certainly add the XDs series to your short list. I have every intention of picking up one in .45 for my summer carry. Also like mahall stated, .380 is harder to find and more expensive than 9mm when you do find it, I had a BG .380 and absolutely loved the pistol, perfect for pocket carry but the ammo issue wasn't worth it so I sold it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  12. therukh

therukh New Member

I haven't shot a Shield so I can't help you there, nor any of the XD's, but I have shot the Glock 42 and it is a great gun. .380 ammo is easy to find in my area and for about $20/50 rds. The early issues on some G42's seem to have been solved and guns built in March and later seem to be good to go. I've shot 4 or 5 different types of .380 ammo with zero failures to function from out of the box.

13. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I had a Shield but the grip seems too thin for me, so I moved on. I recently picked up an older S&W 3914 that I can highly recommend. It's a single stack 8+1 small semi auto, 25 oz empty and a great carry pistol . Mine is the "sissy " version, the Lady Smith. :)

[​IMG]

14. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

I have owned and carried S&W handguns since I was 21. I am 70, now. I have a number of Gen. 3 pistols and revolvers. When we changed from .357 revolvers to semi-autos, I was trained on the model 645. It was a DA/SA pistol. Shortly before I retired they switched to model 4506. They gave me my 4506 when I retired, with 50 rounds through it. I carry a CS 45 now. Every pistol I have is DA/SA with the exception of the Ruger Custom LCP I just bought to pocket carry around my farm. With 2 exceptions, the S&W handguns I have had were great and functioned perfectly. I do NOT like DAO handguns. I would recommend a revolver over the DAO pistols being made now.

15. The_Gunslinger45

The_Gunslinger45 New Member

S&W is my second favorite company. I am a Sig Sauer man and love their handguns, but I have loved magnum revolvers for years before actually shooting a gun, so S&W has a special place in my heart. I still want a S&W Model 29, I own a 686, I own a 638 38 snub nose, and I used to have a 645 at one point. Damn good quality all around.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For our newer members, a reminder- check the dates of the thread you are posting to.

More than a year old, you have to go stand out on your front lawn, sign "Happy Birthday" to the thread.

At 5 years, buy the thread a cake.

:D

17. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

You are so right, thanks. Love the Cool Hand Luke comment, too.

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

My addiction is older guns, mostly because you can now find stuff for half original price in pawnshops ;)
    S&W's CS45 & CS40 have earned places in my carry rotation...
    If you look carefully at a new M&P, you notice that S&W learned well from their work with Hogue
    on the 3rd Gen semi-autos...or stole well, whichever way you prefer to think about it ;)
    In all seriousness, with all that I have in useful antiques, not much reason for new.

That being said, do have a few newer pistols & rifles, stuff from the 21st century ;)
    holding out for S&W to produce a 10mm offering, so that I can replace my G20SF with it.

19. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Shield 9 as a carry gun. I have about 2k rounds through it without an operating problem. It has digested every piece of ammo I have put through it.

The only problem it has ever developed is I shot two of the three white dots out of the sights. I replaced them with a set of XS sights and she is good to go.

20. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

I bought a Bodyguard .380. Got home and realized I had to push the magazine release button to insert a magazine. The trigger was abysmal. I sold it without ever firing it and bought a Ruger Custom LCP, the new one with the red trigger. I am happy, I carry it around the farm. Many of my other pistols are generation 3 S&W, and they are fine guns. I have carried a S&W .45 for over 20 years.