Tell me about Ruger SP101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ScottA, May 12, 2010.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm curious about the SP101 in .357. It appears to be a realistic small magnum.

Is it a good CCW gun? If you use it as such, how do you carry it? Does its weight preclude pocket carry?

2. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I've never shot one but I'm interested and I've held a couple. They're a little on the heavy side, but I would personally carry one. The hammerless would be my choice for sure.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Hi Scott. I recently picked one up and I use it and my Kahr K9 (steel frame) as my carry pieces.

The sp101 is very sturdy, has nice lines, and handles the .357 well and 38 spl (including the +p i have tried) like a champ.

There are various carry rigs available as well as some very nice grips. The Hogues I have on mine right now make shooting for extended time very confortable.

Here are two recent links to sp101 discussions from the forums.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-revolver-sp101-n-questions-gurus-26554/ - mine is pretty much stock.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-improved-sp101-26191/ - this one is purdy :)

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a great revolver. It's built like a tank and will shoot magnum loads all day long. It's a bit heavy for pocket carry, but with the right holster, it's a great carry gun.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I picked mine up for hiking in big Cat Country and carry it in a belly band holster which is very similar to wearing an ITP holster except the weight is strapped around your hips rather than pulling your pants down.

With this carry method I see no need to go to a lighter gun and a Stainless Steel SP101 is going to withstand several lifetimes of rugged use.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The SP101 is great little gun. I owned one until that darned house fire. It was accurate with 38s or 357s, easy to point and as CA357 mentioned it's a tank. I could feed that thing hot magnums all day and it was happy.
    The factory grip is nice too because it completely covers the frame which helps soak up some of the recoil when shooting hot loads.

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

The SP101 is a great carry gun. My favourite set up is a 3" barrel and bobbed hammer. It's a bit bigger and heavier than a J frame S&W, but it's ridiculously strong and more pleasent to shoot with full power .357s.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

I find my SP a bit unpleasant to shoot with hot loads. I wish it had adjustable sights and a 3" barrel. It shoots pretty much to point of aim with 110 gr JHPs. I don't feel undressed at all when I carry it, but really, it's not all that much smaller than my beloved Security Six and I KNOW I can hit what I'm shooting at with that one.

9. brandy

brandy New Member

Look at the 32 Magnum version as for self

defense it gives little away to a 357 and holds one more round.
    SP101s are all bomb proof guns but heavy.

S&W Airweight is far easier to carry and will hold up for a cc gun just fine (mine is 30+ years old).

If you anticipate dealing with larger critters than zombies, the S&W 329 has no equal at 26 oz in 44 Magnum.

10. ScottA

Was over at the local gun shop/range at lunch and they had an SP101 on consignment in the case. They want $395, less than 100 rds thru it.

It didn't strike me nearly as heavy as some have made it out to be. Is it an Airweight... no, but I don't want a 12oz gun. What good is a gun if you flinch anticipating the pain.

Unfortunately, since it was a consignment deal, I couldn't take it back on the range.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

It's always a good lunch when you get to punch holes in paper. It's even better when your groups are better than the last time. Think I've got that left dip worked out.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's a pretty good price, Scott. I wouldn't worry about them not letting you take it to the range. Just ask them if you can dry-fire it, handle it a bit and TAKE IT HOME! Just do your typical pre-buy revolver inspection and don't worry the gun is good to go.

I LOVE my SP101. I carry it with an Uncle Mikes IWB size 2 with out hardly noticing it.

With any reasonable amount of practice you should be able to shoot any hot magnum loads all day long very pleasantly. A Houge mono-grip helps out too.

Enjoy! :)

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

The S&W 329PD is a bad-boy for sure. I love it for it's weight, but what a beast to shoot with Magnum loads. I have yet to see anyone cap off six consecutive rounds with my 329!

I always take my 329PD with me to the gun range, just so in case I encounter some " self-proclaimed Macho wannabe" that says a 329 ain't squat to shoot. I'll hand my 329PD over and say... give me 6 consecutive rounds punk.

Even "if" someone could pull the trigger 6 times, their hand, wrist and lower arm will be hamburger meat for at least a week or two.

Attached Files:

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Alright Mark, I've heard you tell your "can't shoot the 329PD 6 times" story enough now that I wanna be that next punk!

Where in Texas do you live? I'll drink a six-pack, take a couple shots and we'll get down to business. I'll even do ALL magnum loads :eek:, instead of your usual method of starting with a couple specials.

I'll even let you take pictures for your enjoyment! :)

14. brandy

brandy New Member

Flinch from an Airweight in 38 Special ?

They are not Plus P guns (as it would be a waste of time). With "normal" 125 Hornady JHPs it is no hard kicker. I daresay a 3" SP101 357 kicks a lot more.

15. Mark F

D/FW area. Yeah, we'll save the Specials for the women folk...

16. brandy

brandy New Member

The must be breeding em' weaker in TX than

when I lived there. I'll run 4 cylinders of of 300 gr hardcasts with max loads of
    H110 with CT laser grips through my 329 with no gloves or blood on the sand.
    It's stout but with a 2 hand grip and experience with large bore handguns it is not difficult. A lot easier to shoot than a Freedom Arms 4.75" in 500 Wyoming Express.
    My 329 is ALWAYS with me in the back country as we have large furry critters with claws and teeth. (especially when the scabbard has only fishing rods in it!)
    [​IMG]

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Wonderful, I have family that have been there my whole life. I usually visit annually, but need to start spending more time while its still there. . .

Miss it.

18. Mark F

Come on down! We'll keep the light on for ya.

19. ScottA

Bought the SP101 over lunch today. Traded in my Savage 93 on it. I haven't shot that rifle in years. Might as well trade it in on something I'll use.

This is what I anticipate will become my primary CC weapon. Might pick up a small auto before the law goes into effect in January, but I think the 101 will fit the bill pretty well for now.

20. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

I have the SP-101 in 357 and 327, crimson trace on both. I love them. The 357 has a bit more of a kick. 327 is like shooting a 22. I carry the 327 and also carry the Ruger LCP 380. Ruger has a lifetime warranty, can't go wrong with that.