Tell me about de-priming Milsurp Brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by CA357, Oct 29, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

All I know is that everybody says it's a PITA. Is it really? What tool/s do I need to do it and is it worth it?

I'm not working right now, so it may be worth it. Let me know guys.

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

The only thing that I have heard about military surplus brass is that it is definitely not crap, it's mostly Lake City, correct me if I'm wrong. I have heard that depriming it is exactly the same as all others, except for the Berdan primed crap, but putting the new primers in is where the problem lies. Milsurp ammo should have all of the primer pockets crimped, so you have to ream those out before you can put in a new primer.

3. CA357

So it's not necessarily the removal, it's reconfiguring the primer pocket that's the problem?

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I believe it's just another step that you have to do when loading this stuff up. My father came across alot of this 5.56 milsurp LC brass, and he just chucked up a small ream in a drill press and went to work. Think he has about 500 pieces of it, and has ranted and raved about it's quality once you go through the extra p.i.t.a. step.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

6. CA357

Good to know. Now, what tools do I need? I don't have a drillpress.

7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

How many cases are we talking about doing?

8. CA357

Does the swaging press remove the spent primer as well?

9. Highpower

Highpower New Member

No. Your resizing die (or decapping die) removes the old primer.
    The swage tool only removes the crimp that is left over in the primer pocket.

Here is an example of a simple hand operated primer pocket reamer. It would work just fine if you don't have bucket loads of brass to de-crimp...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=501588

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  10. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

if you try to deprime miltary brass (primers are crimped) with your decapping dies, it will bend the decapping pin.

you need to get a manual miltary brass decapper and primer pocket reamer or swager (to remove the crimp) from lee or rcbs.

they are very inexpensive.

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I have de-capped approx 15,000 pieces of once fired Lake City 5.56, 7.62 and .30 cal brass with the same cheap a$$ LEE de-priming die over the last several years, and have never bent a pin yet. So I guess I got a defective one. ;)

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

your 1 in a million

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have also! Guess I'm #2 in a million.

14. CA357

So, I have to buy a reloading press and accessories?

15. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Make me #3 in a million. Albeit I use standard RCBS sizing de-capping dies.

I use a modified RCBS de-burring tool chucked in my cordless drill motor to cut the military crimp out of the primer pockets. I cut just deep enough to make a nice bevel on the leading edge of the pocket. I probably have many cases where I have cut deeper than I wanted to, but I have never had a primer back out when firing. I actually do this on all of my .30 cal (of all varieties) cases as it makes the priming operation (I use an RCBS hand priming tool) go much easier.

16. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There are two ways to go with this operation.

First you need a press of some kind. Doesn't matter if it is a (OMG :eek: ) a Lee classic or a dillon 1050.

You can deprime then either swage the crimp or turn the crimp.

Swaging the crimp is quick and fast if you use something like the Dillon super swage 600. Super Swage 600: Case Preparation Equipment

Or you can go low cost low budget and get the Lyman or Lee or RCBS or Hornady. Crimp tool.

Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Small - MidwayUSA

With the Lyman set up you have to be very careful to take just the right amount of metal off. too much and your primers will fall right out (Ask me how I know this)...

Myself If I were going to do it for a high speed set up I would spend the money on the Dillon or the RCBS.

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

So my wife tells me. :D

Well.... if you intend to reload these cases, you are going to need that anyway. :confused:

19. CA357

I don't know when or if I'll start reloading. I have the brass and I thought about depriming it and selling it to make a few bucks while I'm unemployed.

20. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I use the RCBS Trim Mate with their military crimp removal tool at one of the stations. Had thought about the Dillon swage but figured I've already got this set-up so no need to change.