Teal hunting what kind of ammo?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by darthjkf, Sep 12, 2013.

1. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

I'm going teal hunting on Sunday with my Mossberg 500c 20 gauge. This is my first time to duck hunt, so what kind of ammo should I get?

2. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Teal are small ducks that are a blast to shoot. If you expect larger ducks to be mixed with the teal use steel #4 Teal only steel #6. I would just ask the person who is going to accompany you.

4. powg

powg New Member

teal

with the 20 ga 2 3/4 or 3'' # 5 steel if you can find it .# 6 steel may be more common in a 20 ga . the main thing is choice of choke and the set -up of how your going to hunt them . teal are small ,very fast and may decoy as a single ,but usually in small groups 2-5 birds . most will come in at a very low angle about 2-6 foot above water ,which in early / low light makes them disappear against the vegetative background . I would start with an improved cyl choke out 20-25 yrds . arrange a dozen decoys where you have 3 groups of 4 ,with an area between them for teal to land . Remember to "LEAD" and keep swinging.... bring lots of shells! good luck

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I never have been duck hunting with decoys, dog and a call. Pass shooting is my only experience. Good places to pass shoot are easy for me to scout in my everyday activities. For the novice shooter pass shooting might turn out to be more productive. To be a successful pass shooter you only have to be in the right place at the right time. Just some limbs with leaves that match the season work just fine as a blind.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I would use a modified choke, I.C. is going to be a large pattern good for 15..20 yards w/ a 20ga and 5 or 6 steel shot. Modified will stretch that another 10..15 yards. You really need to take a few shots and see what kind of pattern you get at various distances. Where I hunt in N.H. we tend to use full choke and larger shot on waterfowl. 12ga also. I have some #2 Black cloud for my sons 20ga Modified, works very well. But, distance is everything. Over 25..30 yards, it is useless. Patterns are so big all you may do is injure the bird.

7. powg

powg New Member

20 a

I recommended the i.c. choke because most if not all Mossberg 20 's shoot tighter than the remmys or Winchester. kinda like ic = mod with steel only . being a novice shooter of ducks ..let alone the speedster teal he may have an advantage with the 6 or so pellets that are always outside the pattern at 20-25 yards. when shooting he also may try and double his lead after every shot to find his'' ZONE'' and start splashing birds quicker while learning the art of killin quackers;) but what do I know ? Phil and the crew have me on speed dial ever time the they hunt teal in east tx

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

3.5 inch Winchester HV #2.....these are cheap and good.