Teaching the wife to shoot.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Airborne1, May 12, 2014.

1. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Saturday The wife and I went up the hill to a place where I could give her some instruction on safety and shooting my Makarov. I wanted to see if she would be better suited for an auto or revolver. She was ok with the recoil but she could not jack one into the chamber, so I guess I will get her a revolver.
    The first picture is her best of 3 targets. She hit 8 times out of about 12 rounds.
    The second pic is my 20 rounds, 19 good hits, and one on the top right edge. The one on the edge made me make an adjustment to my sights.

The shooting distance was 20 foot to the target.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

She may need some time at a guns shop that have a variety of different models. One may be right for her.

I double checked and yep.... Makarov is straight blowback.
    These springs are quite heavy.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

What distance/range where this targets placed from her?
    Just from a simplicity of operation and safety stand point the revolver is usually the best for a beginners who want to use it for SD.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The biggest mistake I've seen in this type of training is big, muscular guys (maybe you, Airborne? :D ) that can rack a slide with their teeth trying to show inexperienced, smaller people how to do it. This short video on YouTube shows the proper way those of smaller stature or smaller muscle development should rack a slide. It's much more efficient than forcing

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My problem was my wife did not like to load magazines. As long as I was stuffing the rounds into the mags she was quite happy with an semi auto and never had a problem racking the slide even on my 1911's. She never had much problem with the recoil either.

6. TekGreg

I would give her an Butler Creek UpLula and teach her how to use it. In fact, I did give one to my wife so that mine quit disappearing. One for centerfire handles every pistol magazine I own and now the wife and I will load up magazines after shooting while sitting on the couch watching TV.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That was a long time ago when she was learning. She loads her own now. At the time though she was shooting a lot of 38 spl through an S&W 19 rather than load mags.

8. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I added the distance to target, and I didn't realize the Mak was a blowback gun, it is a little hard to cock, but I don't think it is too bad. Seems simple enough to me, and no I am not some muscular guy. I am stronger than I look, but that's about it. I will take her to the gun shop and have her try jacking a new gun or two.

9. TekGreg

Good idea to try some used or rental guns, as those springs will loosen up with use. Hate to pass on a good gun because it was stiff new. ;)

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You teach your wifey to shoot and the most likely person she will ever shoot is you.

:D

11. TekGreg

Most men who have questionable morals and were likely to be shot by a spouse would not voluntarily choose to teach their spouse a martial art. ;)

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Walther PPQ-M2. Very smooth slide, almost as good as the PPQ-22, which is like "butta," also the Ruger LC380(LC 9 sized frame and slide but 380 chambering and reduced slide resistance), and SR-22.....

+10 on the UpLula,..plus just about any loader helps! The one that came with my SR9 is just a piece of formed metal with a semi loop on it to push the rounds in. I keep most of the mags for all loaded anyway,..except for the Buckmark mags.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Tek, I am not at all worried about my wife shooting me. I am more worried about her NOT shooting an aggressor.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not sure how you would have any insight into this, as i think you have said before you have never been married.

only a man of ill morals has cause to be worried about such things.

i am quite glad my wife knows how to shoot and as i don't do things that wouldgive her cause to want to shoot me, i don't worry about such silly things.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

One word 'Revolver'!;)

16. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My sister came in from Houston a few weeks ago and wanted to learn how to shoot. I agreed, but damn, it was like Mrs Barney Fife on amphetamines. She's a little skinny gal, nervous as a cat in a roomful of rockin chairs. I gave her the ultra beginner-beginner lesson with a Ruger 10-22 and she did--okay--but I was afraid she was gonna jump out of her shoes.

What was that old Don Knott's movie...The Shakiest Gun in the West? Well, she's got him beat. I would advise all gun stores in east-central Texas to NOT sell any firearm to my sister. Some people should not own guns.