Firearms Talk banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
I think you would be able to find retired LEOs or veterans who would do some volunteer work a week at time. Rotating volunteers to watch over the schools.

The students shouldn't know who carries and who doesn't.
Volunteer vets would be cost effective but the turnover could lead to confusion in a crisis...teachers and students not recognizing the volunteers, volunteers not being familiar with the buildings layout, not knowing where students are...Ect...

I know many career educators and they're not all lemmings. I've shot with members here who are teachers and trust them implicitly.

Far better in a crisis to have armed immediate responders that the kids know and recognize as there beloved teachers...particularly in a high school where male students are more that capable of taking a full grown man off his feet "if they mistook him for a threat".

Our schools are like large extended families...far better for scared kids to get direction from trusted and armed adults rather than strangers.

Tack

·
Administrator
34,514 Posts
Volunteer vets would be cost effective but the turnover could lead to confusion in a crisis...teachers and students not recognizing the volunteers, volunteers not being familiar with the buildings layout, not knowing where students are...Ect...
Good point. I never thought of that.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I think I am the only teachers in my school that even has a carry license and owns guns. I would love to be able to carry at work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think I am the only teachers in my school that even has a carry license and owns guns. I would love to be able to carry at work.
You should see if that can become a reality. Since you are a woman and a gun owner/carrier you should try and educate some of your co-workers. One of my sons teachers gave a lecture today to the kids badmouthing guns and gun owners. I would love to ''visit'' him but know it would not be a good idea. The rhetoric since this last shooting is unlike anything I have ever seen. People need to stand up and fight for our rights. Hearing the things Im hearing from gun owners is disheartening. Many have already given up. We have to fight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my home town we have a High School Skeet Shooting Team. I love in the backwoods of Oklahoma but it is not uncommon for schools in this area to have Skeet Teams. No Doubt that there are teachers and administrators carrying at many of the rural schools in Oklahoma. It is part of our culture. You would be hard pressed to find a home in our community that does not have at least 4 or 5 guns in them. If you do find a home that is unarmed it is likely a person that moved to here from Commiefornia or some place of that sort. . Hunting and being self sufficient is part of our way of life.

Truly the only way to get peace is to plan for war. If the bad guys want a fight let them know that it is a lose lose situation for them. If they plan on killing themselves when it is all over we should be able to help them to that part of their plan before they kill our kids.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
bamashooter68 said:
You should see if that can become a reality. Since you are a woman and a gun owner/carrier you should try and educate some of your co-workers. One of my sons teachers gave a lecture today to the kids badmouthing guns and gun owners. I would love to ''visit'' him but know it would not be a good idea. The rhetoric since this last shooting is unlike anything I have ever seen. People need to stand up and fight for our rights. Hearing the things Im hearing from gun owners is disheartening. Many have already given up. We have to fight.
I have definitely been talking to the other teachers, especially the ones that say things like "why does anyone need an AR. They're assault rifles and are completely unnecessary". I calmly explain that I have one and that they are simply a rifle. I always invite people to come out and shoot with me so that they can see for themselves. I explain that I carry when I am not at school etc. I explain that the media is putting a negative spin on this. I personally have not watched any of the news coverage and wish more people would do the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get ready for mags to go thru roof

just like the clinton era - high cap mags disappearing:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Haven't read all the posts, maybe someone's already touched on this. Rather than trying to arm and train teachers and other civilians, why not veterans? Iraqi and Afghan vets are already highly trained, have multiple tour experience. It would put unemployed vets to work and would give we taxpayers added return on our initial investment in their military training. MHO, but it makes more sense to me than trying to train someone up from scratch.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have definitely been talking to the other teachers, especially the ones that say things like "why does anyone need an AR. They're assault rifles and are completely unnecessary". I calmly explain that I have one and that they are simply a rifle. I always invite people to come out and shoot with me so that they can see for themselves. I explain that I carry when I am not at school etc. I explain that the media is putting a negative spin on this. I personally have not watched any of the news coverage and wish more people would do the same.
You are doing the right thing by trying to educate your co-workers. Every chance I get to talk about guns in a positive way to non gun people I do it. As far as the news goes, Im no longer watching their garbage. Even so called conservative news people are being sucked in by the liberal media on this and its literally making me sick. Im sure the liberal media hates what happened but it hasnt stopped them from exploiting it to the max to push their anti gun, anti constitution agenda. God Bless.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts