tax time 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by roguestew, Jan 22, 2013.

1. roguestew

roguestew New Member

really thinking about getting a 1911 officer model for concealed carry.
    I currently carry a Walther P-99, but I'm ready to go back to the .45. I'm reading this 1911 forum. anyone got any advice?

2. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

Try some out and see what works for you. I carry a 3" 1911 nearly everywhere I go. The thin profile makes it a much better choice for me over my other guns such as a Glock, Sig or XD.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With my taxes, I will be lucky to get one from the Dollar tree wrapped in a plastic bag.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

5. quadrail74

quadrail74 New Member

I plan on buying a colt 1911 gold cup .22 ,just to plink with. My question is, are the slide lock, trigger, hammer and grip safety all universal with all 1911's regardless of caliber of the weapon?

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Dan Wesson CCO.

[​IMG]
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-cco-bobtail/

OK, so it's not an Officer's Model in the strictest sense of the definition. That extra 3/4" of barrel length isn't a problem to conceal and it makes it easier to shoot well.

If your really fussy about having the short barrel:
    Dan Wesson ECO:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-eco/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Try the Ithaca 1911. It is an amazing production gun. The slide is like glass and feels like it has been worked by a fine gunsmith. The trigger is very crisp. I recently got to hold one and was very impressed. Don't poo poo it until you have played with one.

8. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

What is your budget in mind?

Your price will dictate whether you should be looking into a Rick Island Armory 3.5" tactical or a Springfield EMP ;)

I have a dandy little Springfield Ultra Compact in 9mm that I sometimes use for carry and I absolutely love it. Buy used for roughly $600, new for $800

9. roguestew

roguestew New Member

maybe a ruger sr1911 commander, or a Sig C3

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Sig over the Ruger any day for me. The C3 is a CCO size though, not a true compact. Sig does make other compact models though.

11. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

There are a lot of good choices from different brands. I happen to like STI. Not sure what your budget is, but STI makes several models on the officer size frame in 3" and 4". I carry the Guardian in 9mm, but it's also offered in .45 ACP as are the other models. STI offers some very nice hand fitted 1911s and as an added bonus they are U.S. made in Georgetown, TX.

12. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

I like the Kimber CDP II that I had a few years ago, but had to sell, that I bought another one a couple of weeks ago. It has a lot of carry features like and aluminum frame to reduce weight, night sights, and has the carry melt treatment where they round all of the sharp edges to reduce the chances of snags.

I also bought an XD-S a couple of months ago. Not a 1911 but I very nice, and small, .45 to carry. If you don't want to spend too much you can grab an XD-S for around $500, if you can find one...

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I tried LOTS of different options and I finally settled on a Commander with a bobtail.

You get a full size grip for the extra round if you wish. The 3/4" longer barrel than the Officer is not any more difficult to conceal.

I carry a Smith and Wesson SW1911Sc scandium framed bobtail. I love it!! Good luck finding one right now!

14. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Any other opinions on the S&W 1911s? Price seems to put them right in the mix with Colt/Kimber/Springfield/Sig, just don't really seem to hear much about them. I'm particularly interested in the SubCompact (the mini 1911s have my attention right now) Pro Series. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

***edit to add***

I'm just speaking purely aesthetics here, as I will readily admit I do not know the pros/cons, but I don't care for the external extractor. It just looks weird to me.

On a positive note, don't know if S&W just has a great photographer, but the finish looks amazing on these.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  15. martez39

martez39 New Member

Does anyone know anything about the GSG 922 or GSG 1911