Taurus

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Puma, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Puma

Puma New Member

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying the taurus 992 revolver. I'm worried however of its quality since I have never purchased a taurus. I know their customer support is no help so hopefully I would never have to deal with them. So my question would be, how does taurus hold up with other firearm manufacturers?

2. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Every Taurus owner I've ever spoken to loved them and with a lifetime warranty and budget prices, what's not to like? I mean your not going to get a 900 dollar shooter for 300 bucks but for 300 bucks you get a revolver that goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Owned 3 different models in the past. 2 9mm and a .38 special. No problems out of any. At least 1000 rnds out of each

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have not had any problems with the Taurus revolver.
    My sister had the hammer break on her .22 revolver, but was too lazy to get it repaired. Still shoots it DA.

There were some threads about poly framed Taurus models that the quality control was "iffy".

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

MOST of the Taurus revolvers I've owned were fine - 6 mabe 8 i think - IMO the odds are in your favor :)

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I worked at a range/shop that carried Taurus guns. We got a lot back in for service and repairs. Repair times were pretty long. Things I saw broken were, cylinder releases. Broken hammer. Broken cranes. Broken springs, Broken trigger pins, PT 92 that had the locking block replaced three times (rental gun). And one case of a barrel that shot off (yep, shot off). I figure that is a pretty isolated incident, but oddly enough when browsing around the internet I stumbled across someone who had causght a Taurus barrel in mid flight in a picture. I had to save the picture because a lot of folks never beleived me when I would tell them that I had seen a Taurus with a barrel shot off.

[​IMG]

Most Taurus owners get decent guns. Most Taurus owners really like them. But I've seen enough problems that I personally avoid them. I'd save and buy a Smith and Wesson, a Ruger, or a Colt. Or I would find a used example of any of the above before I bought a Taurus.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Nothing wrong with MOST of them and with the warranty if anything ever does go wrong they will fix it.

Just be aware of what you are getting, its not going to match a S&W, Colt or Ruger, but if you want a budget gun that isn't junk. Taurus may be the way to go.

I own a Taurus PT 1911 .45, it had a LONG break in period and a trip back to taurus the same day I bought it for a bad sear(yes it was new), but it works very well now.

I swore that I would never own another Taurus but I've since changed my mind.

8. taosgunguy

taosgunguy New Member

Taurus & S&W Revolvers

I have a Taurus M327 and a S&W 632 in 327 Federal Magnum. I like them both, but must tighten sight screw and cylinder release screw on the S&W every 100 rounds or so. Taurus heavier, seems built well, never a problem in more than 1000 rounds.
    [​IMG]

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had an M-85 ultra lite. It shaved lead when it was brand new right out of the box. Had a Millenium Pro that started with a weak primer strike. It finaly couldnt set off a round at all. Returned both to the shop where I bought them. He bought them both back at full refund. Jimmy was a great dealer. Taurus Sucks! I will never buy another.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

given the information i have read, both good and bad about Taurus, and i currently own a Taurus revolver, i bellieve them to be hit or miss in quality. now my current revolver works just fine and it may be one of the lucky ones, but it is also several years old. but given what ihave read of others experiance with the newer ones, i doubt i will ever buy another until Taurus improves their QC procedures. any maker can make a bad firearm from time to time, but QC is where you weed them out before they ever get to the retailer to be sold to the public. so if you decide to buy, you might get a good or possibly a bad one.

my opinion on this is my personal one. i actually have owned several in the past and really like some of their offerings. but my confidence in them at the this time isn't high enough for me to purchase another one of their products.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  11. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I currently own a Taurus Judge and a Taurus Ulta-light .38. I think that they are both pretty good revolvers. I do not beat them up or abuse them, maybe have no more than 500 rounds in the .38 and 100 rounds in the Judge. Over the years I have heard the Taurus was not a great manufacturer of "quality" firearms. But in my opinion if you take care of them they will do whatever you need them to do.

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I wouldn't justify the purchase of a Taurus just because I was too damn cheap to put a dab of blue Loctite on my Smith cylinder latch screw.

Worked in a shop, even volume adjusted Taurus has a crappy quality problem.

Fixed many new and used (some like new) revolvers and autos. Design, execution of machining, and metallurgical issues.

Several customers said "screw Taurus" (on their own accord) and went Smith. Not a one has complained about making the switch. Some customers who got bad Taurus rigs sent them back per the fabulous warranty. Sometimes Taurus fixed it. 50% of the time the gun had to be sent back, or the problem wasn't fixed and the person traded it off to a buddy they really didn't like (I assume).

Some guns have gone back 3 times or more.

When you send one back, there's no real information exchange on when it'll return. Limbo as long as 9 months, several times.

So bad..........I won't fix or even touch a damn Taurus. Even when my buds at the shop know I could fix it. Screw 'em (the guns, not my buds).

Now, along with the bad.........I always tell the good.

A customer started reloading and double charged a .45 Colt load, blew his new Judge up. Dealer called, Taurus said send it in. 9 months go by and we hear nothing. Then one day a box shows up with a new Judge. No charge.

They took care of a customer that didn't deserve it.

That was pretty cool.

And the only good thing I can say about Taurus.

Dozens of guns I've worked on, seen dozens of others have problems. From multiple wholesalers over 2 yrs span (when I worked there) over different models and types.

Simply more of a crap shoot than many will admit to.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Blah blah blah.

My Taurus pt92afs has 20k through it on original springs with no problems.

2-24/7's that needed warranty. One barrel, one extractor.

A 24/7 compact with no issues.

Pt100afs, 85ul and 66 with no issues.

Considering price and warranty, **** yes, ill buy another.

14. willfully armed

Inadvertent duplicate post

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  15. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Here's where the issue of manufacturer gets sticky. This is true for pretty much everything mass produced.

You have seen good testimonials for Taurus. I can add to them as we own two revolvers of theirs. I have a compact .357 and the wife, a .38. Both have been fine and haven't the need to be sent in for anything.

You have seen a few that have posted not so flattering statements for Taurus. There's no reason to disbelieve their statements.

I know of people that love their Hyundai's. One of my best friends is in the process of lemon lawing his 2011 Sonata. I know of ravenously loyal Chevrolet owners. I've owned one and as a result will never own a GM product again. It has nothing to do with them being Government Motors. I know of many loyal Harley Davidson owners and have intentions of becoming one in the forseeable future myself when finances permit. I also know of level headed motorcyclists whom will never own one and will cite chapter and verse legitimate reasons why not. I have heard criticism of Kimber for reason. Others extoll the virtues of those very expensive 1911s every chance they get.

In this era of mass production where true craftsmanship has all but become a lost art, you will be hard pressed to find perfection in most anything. This is where the entire issue of asking opinions can be a slippery slope, especially with opinionated people like most of us are. Use your best judgment here, along with your budget.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I agree.

My experience just seems to indicate a higher percentage of problems compared with other brands that I saw brought in. Also, the degree of the problems.

I get having screws back out, I understand not getting a barrel rib lined up exactly square with the top front corners of a frame once it is screwed or pressed it. I get springs failing, finishes not being perfect. But those are fairly small problems compared to a crane breaking, a cylinder falling off or having a barrel shoot off. Add the frequency of the small problems and it just seemed like too much of a risk for my money.

I might consider buying a used one from a friend after it had been proven reliable.

Other than that I kind of think of Taurus as Forest Gump's mom thought of a box of chocolates.

17. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I will say this. A bullet got stuck in the barrel of my judge. I didn't realize it and shot 2 more rounds. The gun didn't blow apart or get any damage so their parts must be pretty durable

18. LastRound

LastRound New Member

I've owned two and I now own zero. I had two Trackers, 970 and 44. My 44 went back to the factory with no results. My 970 started to lose it's timing on 3 cylinders (not real bad, but I didn't want to try their CS again). I fixed the 44 myself and the 970 went to a local pawn shop.

Two for two is not very good odds so unless I get a screaming deal, there's no room in my safe.

19. willfully armed

and our 2011 sonata has needed tires, rear wheel bearing, and shift control circuit
    So you knowingly sold a defective gun to some poor unknowing schlub?

20. LastRound

LastRound New Member

No, read my post again. I never said it didn't work or it was defective. I said it was not that bad, and I sold it to a pawn shop for half price and they inspected and approved the gun by their standards. You can try to twist my words all you want, but I know Taurus quality first hand.