taurus

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by collier281, Feb 10, 2012.

1. collier281

collier281 New Member

any opinons on the taurus slim in .40 cal
    thanks bill

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

You are going to get a boatload of opinions.;)

IMO, Taurus delivers good bang for the buck. Nothing fancy, but functional. Generally, they are considered to be a budget line of firearms.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Most of the time Taurus provides a good gun at a very affordable price. The tradeoff is that they seem to produce a higher percentage of lemons than most manufacturers. The also have a weak resale value, as it seems almost every distributor is flooded with them.

I don't buy Taurus for those reasons. But there are a number of shooters I respect who swear by their Taurii.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It only has two faults;
    1. It's a Taurus,
    2. It's chambered in the 40 S&W.

If you fix both issues it would be a great gun! :eek:

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Beats a Hi-Point :rolleyes:

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They are not original, they are inexpensive, they are reliable in my experience. I'll put my Taurus 1911 up against any other 1911 for reliability and realistic accuracy anyday.

There will be both positive and negative reviews from owners.

I think the easiest way to describe my opinion on Taurus is this. There are good reasons to buy other brands but I can't think of a valid reason not to buy a Taurus.

7. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Yep, Ill stack my Taurus up against any other $1000 to $1200 1911 out there as well. Lots of people here swear by XD and XDM's as well, I personally am not crazy about them but I do own one. Rent a couple or find someone that has one and try them yourself.

8. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with a Taurus gun. If you get a good one they are as good as any other. If you get a good one. Their quality control stinks. But at least there is something to be said for their quality control. It's better than their customer service.

9. unclebear

unclebear New Member

honestly Taurus doesn't make bad guns, I hate the .40 but as far as a the PT709 slim in 9mm i had 0 problems out of it I didn't like how it felt or how it handled but that was just me.

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I had a PT 145 at one point in time and it was a good gun for the price but as sweeper said their resale isn't so great if you ever go to trade it.

11. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Their ribbed revolvers look great, especially in the photos. In real life, they look good too, but on close inspection, you'll see sharp edges and lack of finer finish that you'll find on a Ruger (for $200 more) or a Smith & Wesson (for $400 more).

I will admit, the fit and finish on the pistols seems to be better executed than on the revolvers.

12. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

my Taurus Milinium pro 9mm is a great gun. I love it. Ill the guns I have bought, sold, traded, that Taurus is still with me

13. hmh

hmh New Member

I have had 2 Taurus will never own another one. Had a millennium the takedown pin fell out while shooting (numerous times) slide and all came off the front. Have a 22 the bobcat clone the grips keep breaking and without the grips it will not shoot. Will never own another Taurus. On the plus side great customer service.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

+1 I hesitate to recommend Taurus due to so many negative reports but my MilPro PT-111 9mm has been a great gun. Also no trouble with my M85 38 Special.

15. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

I have the 740 slim, about 700 rds through it no problems. I carry it just about daily.

Attached Files:

16. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

I love my taurus pt 24 7 pro ds 40 cal... ive had NO problems with it and they have GREAT customer service. The only reason i needed it is because my ex bro onlaw took it apart and broke the trigger assembly with a pair of pliers...y...idk...they replaced the trigger assembly immediatly no questions asked.

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have had several Taurus pistols over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. But that does not mean that they do not have problems. Sometimes you do run across a lemon here and there. I had a problem with my RIA Officers Model that I sent back to get fixed. Which they did. Now it runs great.

I was at the local gun shop and saw a Taurus 1911 for about $600 that I was thinking about getting for my Birthday, but who knows.