Taurus?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Jul 30, 2020.

1. crossfire

crossfire Member

I currently own two, an M607 and an M608, and previously owned two others, an M94 and an M66. The M607 and M608 are large frame .357 Magnums similar to S&W N-frames. The M607 is a 7-shot and was in production for a couple of years in the mid 90's. The 8-shot M608 replaced it in '97 or '98. I sold the M94 .22LR to a friend and traded the M66 .357 for the M607.
    I like Taurus revolvers, but not their semi-autos. Then again, I am not a fan of any semi-autos.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    schnuffleupagus and Rifling82 like this.
  2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I have ZERO use for Taurus handguns. I owned a PT92 several years ago and it looked and felt like a cheaply made gun. My wife paid $95 for it in a pawnshop and I sold it for $300 (probably in the same pawnshop) 10 years later. In that sense I do have to admit it was a value.

I don't know anyone who owns a Taurus that has anything like a high round count through it. I've seen a couple of them in classes and I've NEVER seen one make it through the class without going tits up.

I will never own another one but I'm not going to rank on someone else for owning one.

Full disclosure I have zero experience with Taurus Revolvers

3. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, there ya go ... and revolvers are ALL that I am interested in. :)
    And so far at least, every one I have owned has been flawless, accurate, very good lock-up, excellent triggers, and have had very nice finishes. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    bluez and Trunk Monkey like this.
  4. Trunk Monkey

I'm glad they worked out for you

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  5. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Nope.

S&W has a product worth copying.

6. schnuffleupagus

The Beretta clones are as good as Beretta.
    The Millennium and G2, G3 sell too good to be junk.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

Nice! What type of wood are those grips? Maple?

8. schnuffleupagus

My son runs a .44 judge. It shoots all rounds reliably.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. Trunk Monkey

I see what you did there

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  10. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I was aware of the 41 magnum. I had a really nice model 57 that was 1980 vintage and just sold it recently.
    I was NEVER aware of a 41 special round though.
    Interesting as I was trying to "duplicate" just that thing for my wife to shoot. I was loading 2400 powder behind a 210 grain bullet at about 900 FPS. It was close ballistically to a a 45 ACP load. (230 grain at 830 FPS).
    She never took to it.
    anyhow, like I said before, "thanks for the education"

bluez likes this.
  11. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Once upon a time S&W and Taurus were owned by the same parent company. Taurus is not a "copy" of S&W. At the time they were owned by the same company design and technology went back and forth in BOTH directions. Yes, some Taurus design features made it into S&W designs. They make a very affordable, solid revolver and you can get a lot of bang for your buck. As far as Taurus semi-autos go; I have never personally had a problem with one but many others seem to have. I think their 1911's are a solid platform to build on and one of my best shooting 1911's is based on a Taurus.

bluez and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I am glad to see so many supporting Taurus here. On other forums, if you say you like Taurus you would think you had raped their wife and stole their baby.

bluez and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find a Taurus 942 for so long but like everything else . OOS Wow , I just looked guns america actually has some . Whuddya think . Should I get one ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Depending on who's responding, you might get taken to task regardless of what brand you decide on. Be it a Taurus or a Korth, someone out there will find fault. If a Taurus works for you, rock on.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of the early Taurus revolvers had problems but the newer ones seem to be decent. I was looking at the 22lr/22mag convertible but the weight stopped me. Might as well carry a rifle. The Trackers appear to be pretty nice. I had one of those PT92 pistols and I could never get past the 5th round. The 3rd time it came back from Taurus still not working I dumped it at a loss to a guy who knew what the problem was. The one local "gunsmith" we had at the time was not what he claimed to be. I put well over 20k rounds through a PT22 before the frame broke. Taurus did replace it even after 19 years. No way they could repair it. I sold the one Taurus revolver I had because I did not like the ports. It was running fine. I had a Taurus 22lr semi auto rifle that was a disaster. Constant jams with any ammo. It looked like it was machined with a dull cold chisel on the inside.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Over the years Taurus has had some quality control issues. I'm still not sold on their support. But overall they are a good bang for the buck. A lot of the bashing you see on the internet is from people that may or may not have ever had an issue with one of their guns they are just parroting what they've heard. Makes them feel more knowledgeable and superior.

Pasquanel and Virginian like this.
  17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Good Revolver content in this thread :)

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

"Over the years Taurus has had some quality control issues. I'm still not sold on their support. But overall they are a good bang for the buck. A lot of the bashing you see on the internet is from people that may or may not have ever had an issue with one of their guns they are just parroting what they've heard. Makes them feel more knowledgeable and superior."
    Post of the month.
    I must have sold hundreds of Taurus revolvers and pistols, and I only recall one problem child. Went back twice, still not right, and since I was a licensed gunsmith I finally said to hell with it and took it apart. It was a bad hand. I called them and gave them the devil and they sent me a new hand - problem solved.

19. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess S&W just spoiled me.

Caveman Jim and Trunk Monkey like this.
  20. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

used to see em a lot. not so much anymore

taurus.JPG

Gh0zt36 likes this.