Taurus tracker or GP 100?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by wpirate14, Mar 30, 2012.

1. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

I'm thinkin about buying a new revolver. I can't decide if I want a GP 100 or a Taurus tracker. Any opinion on which is better?

2. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Don't know much about the Taurus, but my GP100 eats just about any ammo I feed through her with extreme accuracy.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

How is the trigger on the GP? I've shot the tracker once and really like it.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Ruger VS Taurus? Ruger plain and simple. I wouldnt think twice.

5. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Hey Brother I know this a stupid question to ask but the one in his leg was that the first shot and he didnt stop chewing on the nut so you put the rest in the middle or what?:D

6. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Go with the GP100

Did ya have to shoot his nuggets off?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

My nephew has a Tracker in .357, and i have a GP100 in .357 (both have 6" barrel). His holds seven rounds to my six. They are very comparable in shooting experience, but the Ruger feels ever so slightly more solid. I also like the GP100 grips better. His is stainless, while mine is blued.

As far as i know, my nephew has had no complaints about his Tracker.

8. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

Yeah a buddy of mine bought a tracker and I like it. But I like the Ruger a little more. Mainly because the feel of it is just slightly better in my opinion.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I do think i would prefer stainless as the finish on my GP100.

10. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

Yeah my dad had a S&W 686 in stainless. I'm still mad he got rid of that one. Lol

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Ruger GP100, hands down. I kinda doubt anyone's gonna tell you any different. The GP100 is just a really great no-frills 357.

Or you could take the next step up and get a DW 715, S&W 627 PC (8rd), or a classic Colt Python. Hmmm...it seems I'm having an easy time spending your money, LOL.

12. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

Yeah. What the heck I'll just buy em all. Lol

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Now that's an answer I can stand behind!

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a Taurus Tracker in 44 Magnum, and i do really like it, but if given a choice and buying, i would favor the Ruger over the Taurus. little better gun and if you ever decided to sell, the Ruger will have much better resale value over the Taurus. i traded for mine, so that's why i have the Taurus right now, and it does what i need it to do, so i'm happy with it. the GP100 in 357 is one i am considering for the wife for her range pistol.

15. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

The tracker I shot was 357 and I thought it was really nice. Thanks for the opinions all of yall. It looks like Ruger is hands down the way to go.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Now all you need to do is choose the barrel length. I got the 6" for target fun, and it is.

17. Viking

Viking Active Member

Had a friend that had a 44 mag Tracker and he had a few issues with it, one being some brands of fired ammo casings stuck in the cylinder. I shot it a few times after he bought a Hogue grip for it, the original grip had some of the ribs coming off as he fired it. It was okay, but I've been spoiled by my Redhawk and once owned a Ruger .357 6" Security Six and if offered a GP100 over a Taurus Tracker I would take the GP100 hands down.

18. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

I'm gonna make take my time deciding that one. What length do yall think for huntin?

19. Viking

Viking Active Member

I really liked the 6" barrel on the Security Six I had, There are many times that I'd rather have a shorter barreled Redhawk, the 7 1/2" barrel sometimes feels like a long pull out of the holster. A 6" barrel would be great for hunting. I don't know about anyone else but most of the game I've taken with my Redhawk has been between 25 and 50 yards. Thing is if I were you I'd try to see if I was able to shoot revolvers with different barrel lengths. I once owned a 4" S&W mod.29 and found it to be too short for me, never shot an 8 1/4" but for as long as I've owned the Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel I think a 6" would probably work better for me. What it's all about is what's the most comfortable for your needs

20. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

Thanks for the opinions yall.