Taurus Tracker 44 mag

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JTJ, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone have experience with the Taurus Tracker 4" in 44 mag? I am considering it as a carry while hiking.

2. agrotom

agrotom New Member

Great hand gun I've had one for a few years. It a straight shooter and most all of the smith 29s holsters work fine. Good luck and shoot straight. :)

3. JTJ

I guess there are not many out there with 44 mag Trackers. I would go with a 29 but I am looking at weight. I am not overly fond of Taurus but there revolvers are pretty fair. I would definitely go Smith or Ruger if it was a high volume shooter.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

My nephew has not had any problems from his .357 Tracker. His father got a nice-looking, compensated .44mag (i think this is it "raging bull" Taurus International Manufacturing Inc ) for Christmas and has enjoyed it very much so far.

I'm a bit leary of the Tauri, but i think that is from word-of-mouth only.

5. JTJ

There is a used 4" 44mag compensated Tracker at a local dealer for $459. I am considering it. Weight is 36 oz empty. 5 rnds. Good for carry but a little light for shooting. I probably would find an excuse not to carry a heavier gun. Might make a good house gun with 44spl.

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Are there children in the house? You are going to see "over penetration" with a .44 in the house. Those things are beasts.

7. JTJ

44spl is on a par with 45 acp. We are retired and if there a kids in the house they dont belong there.

8. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

That brought me a chuckle. But the .44 mag is going to go through way more walls and such than a .45 ACP!

45 ACP: 230 gr bullet moving just over 800 FPS
    44 mag: 240 gr bullet moving up to 1400 FPS

The .44 packs alot more whallop! :D

9. freefall

freefall New Member

Do you realize the difference between .44 sp and .44 mag?

10. JTJ

44spl 200gr @ 900fps 240gr @ 775fps. Very similar to the difference with 38spl and 357mag.

11. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I have 9 Taurus revolvers and they all have worked perfectly and are very accurate. As with any revolver, you should check it out thoroughly before you buy it. I recently bought a 44 Tracker, but haven't had a chance to put any bullets on paper, but if it shoots anything like my 3-in barrel Model 441 in .44 Special, then it would be a great choice. I don't know how gun prices are in your area, but $459 seems very high, as in NIB price. I paid $350 for mine about a month ago and it it like new, case and all in the Dallas area (hence my user name :) ). Hope this helps.

12. JTJ

That was one of the things I was wondering about. I thought it was on the high side. Especially used.

13. winddummy

winddummy New Member

Taurus 44 mag

I bought one to use as a off road carry. It has been flawless with all ammo except very heavy (305 gr Buffalo Bore Ammo) which will flex things and cause it to hang up. Using 24/250 gr commerical ammo and even some hot hand loads in that weight range have worked well. Lite in weight and fitting a holster for a "K" frame whats not to like

14. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Being new here it is refreshing to see a friendly place! It is great that Taurus is not readily being dismissed as a lesser class gun. I have owned a 689 357. for 15 years. It is by far the most acurate gun I own and shoot. It is a 6 inch and it will shoot 3/4 inch rested groops at 25 yds and my old eyes make it worse. It handles wadcutters evey sat now going on 10 years and never had one glitch.
    I know it isnt the 44 you asked about but I had to throw my worthless 2 cents in. So buy it and shoot it. It will serve you well. They aint pretty or big bucks but it will go bang every time.

15. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

taurus 44 mag

Just seen the discussion , and guess I can say something about the taurus 44 magnum. I own many handguns ,rifles , shotguns, The 44 tracker , while is not my favorite of all my guns, not that there is anything wrong with it,, NEVER had one problem, It is my favorite to shoot. It is very accuarate and ,to me , a lot of fun to shoot. My youngest daughter(95 lbs, 5ft) has shot all my guns and she likes the Tracker to shoot the best. I do CC it in the winter , in a paddle holster properly dressed. Weight is not a problem, or size. Im 6'3" 250 lbs. Not to be redundant , but I have guns I like better for different purposes. I love my Ruger mini 14 . But I love to shoot this 44mag Tracker.I believe too many people are too worried about recoil. Good strong grip usuall takes care of it.For me reaquiring target hasnt been a problem, the taget is usually gone after 1 shot. It can be carried nicely. I have to say ,I feel SAFER when carrying this gun than any I carry. I am agun lover:D

Sorry I got long winded