Taurus tracker 44 mag for bear protection

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by kctgb, Oct 25, 2014.

1. kctgb

kctgb New Member

Ok here's what I need. I am looking at buying the 44 tracker to carry while hiking in the woods for black bear protection. My neighbor was bit quite badly by a 528 pound black bear while out in the woods, he had to go to the hospital to get put back together. I know the 29 and redhawk are great guns but much to big for hiking or carrying in a fanny pack. I have shot my dads 44 many times so know what to expect from the 44 magnum in a light revolver.

I want to hear from people that have one/shoot it on how good the tracker is, will it hold up to full power 44 loads. I probably will shoot no more than a couple boxes a year through it and I will be reloading cast bullets in the 240 to 270 grain weight.

I also want to hear from people that are disappointed with the tracker and what problems they are having.

I don't want to hear from people that don't have and shoot the tracker on how worthless the tracker is and how good the smith and redhawks are. I know the smith and ruger are great revolvers but just to big for my purpose. I also don't want to spend $800.00 to $1000.00 for a revolver that will be carried a lot an not shot much. I can buy a new blue 4 inch tracker for $479.00 plus tax and ten dollars for back ground check. That's half the price of a smith or ruger in my area.

All comments are appreciated.

2. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

the Tracker 44 Magnum is a great pistol in my opinion. i own two of them. both have had many many rounds through them. we don't have any large bears where i live, but do have some pretty large feral hogs that can do as much or more damage as a bear can. i have dropped a couple with mine.

i have no problems shooting mine and the recoil doesn't bother me in the least. i have owned and shot large magnum revolvers for many years though. recoil wise, there isn't a huge difference in my opinion in comparison to the Smith or the Ruger. get some aftermarket grips as the factory grips are crap at controlling recoil.

i reload for both of mine, but generally stick with the 180-210 gr. Speer JHP's for my loads. i do use some factory Hornady 240 gr XTP loads as well, but you might want to check the seating depth on the 270 gr. bullets as i have heard they can be too long in the Tracker cylinders.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

More than enough handgun even with mild 44 factory ammo for black bear. There just not that hard to kill. Even at 500lbs + . Your biggest worry black bear is if they want you your probably will never have time to draw . They tend to warn you with barks and popping jaws , pull your can of BEAR SPRAY and back away as the handgun is for getting the bear off some one else . And don't sneak around in the woods unless stalking for a shot.