Taurus tracker 357 issues

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rlight, Jul 4, 2012.

1. rlight

rlight New Member

I recently purchased a Taurus 357 Tracker and was disappointed at the quality I have noticed on this revolver. After 25 shots the cylinder locks up and I need to use a mallet to get the cylinder out. After looking carefully it looks like it is eating copper on the top of the back strap. After cleaning it out and allowing it to cool it shoots fine until I get 25 more rounds through it. At this time I get no shavings but the cylinder still locks up. It looks like they have tried to make the tolerances too tight. Has anyone had this issue with their 357 Tracker before? What can I do with out having to send it back to the manufacture to get this fixed?i live in California and the gun shops do not want to take care of the shipping so I am stuck with an additional $75 bill to get this fixed.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

contact Taurus customer service and explain your problem and your situation. they may send you a pre-paid shipping box and then send it back to you. Taurus has a lifetime warranty if i remember correctly. seems i have read about this same problem others have had with their revolvers.

3. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

It sounds like the revolver is 1) Out of time (spitting) and
    2) Barrel/cylinder gap is too tight. There could also be other
    issues as well. Send it back to Tawrust and they should fix
    it.
    When you get it back, trade it for a Ruger GP100 and
    never look back. :D

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Only had a problem with one Taurus revolver out of a dozen at least-
    THAT was the problem- I just took it back to my local dealer & traded it for another----

5. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

I just have to laugh at the people who sneer at my 30+ year old Taurus Model 66 .357 magnum. Then while I punch out a one ragged hole target they pretty much just go away. I must have 10000 rounds through her and she still puts them where I aim them. The only part I have ever had to replace was a cylinder latch spring in all that time.

6. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Although I must profess to being predjudiced against Taurus due to
    some past experiences, I did buy my Mother a Taurus 85 and so far
    there hasn't been any problems with it.
    It seems to me that Smith & Wesson has done a reversal. Their
    revolvers used to be great and the autos were less than desirable.
    Now the autos seem to be well made and the revolvers aren't so
    great. Of course the lock hole business doesn't help a lot either.
    Just my opinion.

7. LastRound

LastRound New Member

Good advice.
    When I got my Taurus Tracker back from the factory I sold it and got a Security Six and never looked back.

8. rlight

rlight New Member

They said no I was responsible for the $85 over night fedex insured package. Never again. Will I ever purchase a Taurus anything again. Their Customer No Service SUCKS!

9. rlight

rlight New Member

My smith 659 45 ASCP comp from the custom shop will out shout anything I have and that is a lot. It was expensive but never ever had an issue. The autos are coming along but they have to come from the custom shop along with a Hugh price to be reliable. My Kimberly cep pro II though has been back at Kimberly 3 times for repairs. One was a seer one was a new slide the next was the springs. They said I need to replace the springs every 800 rounds. I can do that on a weekend. I don't carry it any more it just isn't as reliable as my para LDP or my Kahr CW9.

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have a bunch of Taurus handguns, revolvers and semiautos. They have all been perfectly OK for me. I have heard some tales about them having problems, so apparently they have some quality control issues. They do have a lifetime repair policy, so maybe you could just send it back and get it fixed. Or maybe a local gunsmith can take care of it for you.