Taurus, reliable?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NGIB, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

117 vote(s)
    53.9%
  3. N/A

38 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I just got hammered on a local forum for trying to steer a fella away from a new Taurus poly gun. I recounted my experience with the only new one I've ever bought - and I was accused of being a "basher".

Simple honest poll here. If you have owned a Taurus that has had to go back for warranty work - answer yes. If you have owned a Taurus that has been reliable and has not needed warranty work - answer no. If you're never owned a Taurus - answer - N/A...

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Had a Model 94 .22 revolver that went back 2Xs in a 5 month period.Both times they replaced it alltogether because the ones they sent me were so beyond repair.

3. LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers New Member

No, just routine cleaning/oiling.

To be fair, however, mine is a revolver, not semi-auto.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Owned several Taurus products and currently own one. Never had a single quality issue with one of them.

5. dewey

dewey New Member

Have a revolver- no problems
    have a semi auto- no problems

6. Westy

Westy New Member

I have two revolvers:

A .44 mag in 4"- never had an issue or a problem with it.
    A .38 ultra lite 5 shot- no issures so far. Only about 50 rounds thru it.

:) So far so good!

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I have a 24/7 Pro and although I haven't run but 250 rounds through it, I have had not one single issue with the pistol.

8. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

A few years ago wife got a new Taurus semi-auto that had warranty issues.
    After repairs it still suffered from other issues. The store owner let us trade up (w/cash) for her S&W revolver. I shouldn't judge a whole gun company on one gun, but I haven't had that problem from any of my other handguns, rifles, or shotguns.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have no problem with Taurus quality, I've shot a few and they seem fine.
    Only thing bad i've seen with a taurus is with the milennium series.
    When field stripping the millenium, after you've removed the take down pin and pulled the trigger you must be VERY careful to only let the slide go forward and off the frame.
    If you pull the slide back after you've pulled the pin and the trigger held down, there is a little disconnect in there that will pop up in the wrong spot and jam the slide.
    If this happens, the only way to get the slide off is to break a certain spring inside the gun if you can get a small dental pick in there.
    I don't know what spring that is, i'm just going by what my boss has told me. He said he's seen quite a few milleniums with that problem.
    I'm not bashing taurus at all, There are quite a few tauries I would like to have. I just wanted yall to know if any of you have a millennium, just remember that once the takedown pin is out, the slide MUST go forward.

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I have a 1911 form Taurus but I've had experience with the Millinium 45acp. One of my range buddies picked it for his primary pistol for when he works security. He and I put it though its paces and everything was great. He has never had to send it in for anything. Its a dandy little pistol and he can conseal it on him pretty easily.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had 2 taurus'. One was a PT 111 Pro. The other is a M85 ultralite. Both have had problems. PT 111 Pro was the worst P.O.S. I have ever owned.

I was recently shopping for a 44 mag. Saw a S&W 629 for $775. There was a Taurus for less than $500 right next to it. I bought the S&W. Need I say more?

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have had several Taurus's over the past 25yrs and have never had a single problem with any of them. I would recommend them to anyone and have several different time. Never heard of anyone having a problem with one.

13. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I have an 85 that I've put about 500 rounds through without any issues. In all fairness, I've only had it a few months though. My dim-witted roommate has a PT111 that he NEVER cleans and rarely shoots (I did say he wasn't very bright) and even filthy, that gun has had zero issues.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I own several Taurus firearms,and have had a couple problems.

A 24/7 45acp that had the wrong sights on it.It shot 6" low at 25ft with any type of ammo.Taurus sent it back saying there was nothing wrong,I then looked for some aftermarket sights but none are made,so that gun is gone.

I have a timing problem with a Tracker 22lr revolver,but my gunsmith will be fixing it.

I will not send a firearm back to Taurus for repairs,they either take forever to fix it,or they don't fix it at all. It is just easier to get one of my gunsmiths to fix a problem and leave Taurus customer service out of the loop.

All mfg's of firearms have lemons or bad designs from time to time,but not all of their products are bad. Will I buy another Taurus,Yes.I like most of their guns.

15. BeRandom

BeRandom New Member

I own a Taurus and have yet to have an issue. Met some others with Taurus revolvers and they have never had an issue either.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Haven't done much reading lately eh? No offense, but everywhere you look on the web (gun forums) there is always a mention of faulty Taurus pistols and revolvers. That feedback is usually paired up with negative customer service experience.

If you want quality. . . pat for it! ! !

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I had a pt24/7 9mm with no problems.
    Had a pt111 9mm mil pro and no problems.

Google it and you'll find massive amounts of threads of people with quality issues.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

First time poster/reader/internet access? :D

19. jbd

jbd New Member

my wife bought a taurus 38 all steel. she picked it up 3 months ago, i tried to talk her out of it at the time but when my wife offered the dealer 225.00 out he door and he said ok. i said why not for that price nib. so far only about 200 rounds through it and no problems, but my wife still carries her keltec 380 everyday the taurus has become her nightstand gun. i also have had shooting buddies have trouble with taurus but mostly the semi-autos. the 38 is the only taurus we own if that tells you anything and we own several guns.

20. OklahomaRuger

OklahomaRuger New Member

I have had a few Taurus guns and all have been perfectly reliable with no issues.

Until now. I did buy a PT101 and reliability is perfect with no issues until one day at the range the magazine fell out. I went to put it back in and discovered the magazine release had fallen out. Looked like faulty threads between the two halves.

Anyways, it should be getting back from Taurus soon and Im sure it will be fine after that...keeping my fingers crossed.